Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Week 12 of 12 IMAZ - Patience & Discipline

2»

Comments

• Options

I'll drop this here in case anyone is interested. If you're in M45-49 and you want your data point called out, let me know and I'll repost.

Clark
  • Options

@Clark - that's really cool.  Looks like we 3 did well with run and bike vs. the average!

Thanks for sharing that!

SS

• Options
    As an OF female, I barely beat the averages too!
  • Options
    @SS - fast and balanced, that's where EN athletes are coached to be, so it's a good thing when we get ourselves there.

My goal for next season is to move the dot to the left as far as I can. I'm ready for a better bike split and that's going to be a focus in my chat with coach in two weeks.

@betsy, those are the averages for the male 45-49 division so that confirms that you kicked ass!
  • Options

I presume that big bunching in the lower left quadrant is the place to be. I (barely) make it into that coterie, directly above Clark's red dot at the top of the dense pack of diamonds.

• Options
    Remember, this is only valid for those of us in M45-49, but I can build these easily for other AGs if you like.

The idea is to help you understand the balance between bike effort and run effort. In my case I'm trying to sort out if the best way for me to improve my time is to move my dot straight down, straight left or on some sort of diagonal. Since I'm so far to the right, I believe there is more opportunity going left, ie faster bike, vs down or a diagonal. It's just one of many post race things I like to look at, so YMMV.

FWIW, two of the first five people off of the bike in my AG ended up DNF! So yes, as we all are coached to know, bike run balance is a huge part of a successful IM.
  • Options
    Clark...More benefit to me to compare myself to this AG. I had both the fastest bike and fastest run in mine.

So now ai get what you're trying to do here ... Use a graphic representation to help decide how best to spend your improvement capital this winter/Spring. No Doubt, cycling should get the emphasis. But I hope you retain the mindset that, inless you are top 5-10 in run split, you still can/should improve that.

I think the computer generated curve going diagonally down to the left does show the general direction you want to go in. Simply holding serve in the run should not be acceptable, if you are trying to improve your overall IM time. That is possible with a good OS, but bike wont improve without extra attention. Make sure to query Rich about his advice for your season plan, maybe a bike focus is warranted?
  • Options

@ Clark...cool stuff.  I love the visualization of this.

2x what Al said.   Your best return on training time will be the bike, but you can't ignore the run.  That is often where races are won or lost.  Being stronger on the bike may not always manifest itself with just a faster bike split, but also a faster run.

• Options
    Thanks Al and Bruce. To get where I want to be, I'm going to have to continue to improve in all three sports. No need to worry, I will not neglect my run. That said, I continue to think that the bike is one area where I'm both under-fit AND I'm also underperforming based on the fitness that I currently have. To that end, I'm working on plans to try and improve all aspects of my bike performance including flexibility, bike fit, fitness and mental toughness. I'm looking forward to a busy off-season.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the input!

Clark