Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

Week 14 Training Thread

Welcome to week 14!  This week it's a little bit like groundhogs day.  It's pretty much the same workouts we did last week with just minor tweaks along the way.  These last 6 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT WEEKS of training.  Up until this point you were training to increase your ability to handle more and more work.  These last weeks are where you will create the fitness you will bring to the table on race day.  If you have had set backs along the way, it's now that you can make it up.  If your training has gone well up until this point then consider yourself ready to put the finishing shine on your fitness.  Now is not the time to back off, BUT if you feel you need a rest day, take it and remember you are trying to strike the balance between pushing hard in all your workouts, without digging yourself into a hole for tomorrow's workout.  It can be a fine line at times, but that's what these last 6 weeks will be about.  Any questions, just ask and I will try to do a better job of logging my daily workouts in this thread.  

Comments

• Options

Hi All,
    Just thought I would check in here... It's been a rough week or so, I had to travel for work last week and in general work has been getting much more busy. All of that contributing to making it harder to get the WO's in and requiring them to be done very early in the morning. All that leading to less sleep/recovery... Last week I ended up getting most WO's in but had to skip the Wednesday bike/run as I was travelling. My long ride Saturday was a little truncated due due to 3 flats and then running out of time in the day! UGH!

This week has been a little better. I hit the Monday & Tuesday swim well. I failed to find the time to get the Tuesday run in. Today I got the ride and run in early this AM. Boy was that a hard WO... I'm planning to do the long run tomorrow in the morning, I had hoped to do it in the afternoon heat but my work schedule didn't cooperate.

I should be able to get the weekend WO's in without a problem.

Next week on Monday & Tuesday I will be at Scout Camp with my son. I'm unlikely to be able to get the swims in. I think I will be able to get the Tuesday run in though.

ok, so all that said anyone have any advice for me? I'm feeling like life is stacking up against me here and my stress level feels very high. Any specific advice on Monday & Tuesday next week?

Thanks for the support!
    Erik

• Options

Ok, so apparently I was not getting notification of these training threads you set up.  My apologies you have me attention now!  

Once again I am traveling this week, but hope to get a run in tonight and tomorrow am (fingers crossed).  I hope you rested a bit after your win.  

• Options

@Erik - Thanks for posting.  I hear ya brotha, at time it can be a challenge or down right impossible to fit everything into the box that life hands you.  What i try to do is look at my weekly training plan on sunday along with my work schedule and any family commitments for the coming week.  I then start to process of trying arrange my schedule to accommodate as much as i can.  If i am forced to drop a workout, then i prioritize my key workouts and will normally drop a run or something with a low priority.  For me the most important workouts are the Tuesday interval run, the wed. bike, thursday long run, and then saturday and sunday ride.  My swim is also important but i just add that in where i have time.  Sometimes it before work, sometimes after or sometimes i'll try to bang out 1-2k during lunch.  As for your next mon and tue, i agree, get in your run.  If you can't swim, you might want to borrow or buy some stretch cords.  They are actually a pretty good substitute for not being able to swim.  The other thing i try to do is if i can't bike on sat and sun, then on thursday or friday i will do what can to get in my bike, so sat and sun become off days for the bike.  Kinda obvious, but i really comes down to prioritizing and doing your best to keep as many balls as possible in the air.  Good luck!

@Paula - No worries!  Glad you found the thread!  And yes, i took it easy sunday morning then went for a swim in the afternoon

• Options

Workouts this week have been going well after racing on saturday.  I've dialed down some of the intensity on my runs, but i have been able to hit my Z4 intervals on the bike and run.  I've got my swims in on monday and tuesday.  Today i had a break in my schedule so did a quick 1100 in the pool, and somehow i was swimming 6-7 seconds per 100M faster than i ever have before.  I normally do 100M intervals around 1:38-1:40 and today i was knocking them back at 1:33-1:35 and i have no idea what happened.  I think i will post this in the general training thread for some input, but has any one else experienced this before?  It has happened to me in the past and in each case my new speed stays for about a week, then i slowly start to slide back to normal.  Weird!

• Options

Workouts this week have been going well after racing on saturday.  I've dialed down some of the intensity on my runs, but i have been able to hit my Z4 intervals on the bike and run.  I've got my swims in on monday and tuesday.  Today i had a break in my schedule so did a quick 1100 in the pool, and somehow i was swimming 6-7 seconds per 100M faster than i ever have before.  I normally do 100M intervals around 1:38-1:40 and today i was knocking them back at 1:33-1:35 and i have no idea what happened.  I think i will post this in the general training thread for some input, but has any one else experienced this before?  It has happened to me in the past and in each case my new speed stays for about a week, then i slowly start to slide back to normal.  Weird!