Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

6 Weeks To Go

Now entering the meat, the heart, of any Ironman training cycle. Everything up to now has been merely preparation for what happens in the next 32 days. It's all about far, and steady, and focus, and aero, and refining the eating and drinking. Get wet, get sweaty, getting ready.

The past week was at times a struggle for me. I managed 940 TSS in six days of training, taking Wednesday completely off to allow for some recovery and consolidation after a Big Bike effort in the mountains. CTL is up to 124. I finally configured WKO 4 (Mac version) to my liking, so I can review each sport in depth on a weekly basis. EG:

• Swim: 4 sessions, 10, 958 meters, 3:40, IF 0.81, finishing with a 4500 yd continuous swim (Somehow I miscounted my strokes or laps or 100s or something - I was trying to do 4200, but reduced O2 will do that, I guess.)
  • Run: 5 sessions, 29 miles, 4:15, IF 0.81, including my first TP efforts since tweaking my R hamstring and glute after IMLP. I also got back on the long run program, hitting a 2 hour split run on Friday.
  • Bike: Only 3 sessions, but still more hours, 9:02, than the plan called for with 140 mi, 8700' elev gain, IF 0.71: 2:30 @ HIM pace up hills on Monday, 1:15 with 40 min of FTP intervals up my neighborhood "hills" (the first one is 1000' elevation gain over 20 minutes), then riding the entire valley down and back in 5:20, suffering a mini-bonk about 4:20 in, then collapsing for the rest of the day (8 hours) with no run before or after.

This week has another mandatory rest day on Friday, traveling back from CO to WA. I'm planning on 5 swim sessions, as I find that splitting the Mon and Tues workouts each in half works better for me at altitude, and also when I have to swim on days when I also do run or bike intervals. I want to up my run by another 15% in distance, pushing the split long run to 15.5 mi on Wednesday. And I will do the mini-camp/RR bike this weekend back at sea level, 112 miles + 6 mile run on Saturday, then swim 3800 meters, maybe outside, and bike another 56 miles on Sunday.

Comments

• Options

Great work Al.  Something I read today:  "Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated."  Keep it rollin'. 

• Options
    Struggling a bit here too Al.... wrapped up last week with 19.5hrs , 15k swim , 175 bike , 48 run.... for reference I had originally sketched into my schedule for a 22-23hr week....In fact I have been missing my original volume targets by a couple hours per week for the last 3 weeks......but , overall very happy with the the balance of intensity vs. volume .... gotta rally for one more week and then I get a recovery week of travel to AZ...First thing I am gonna do in AZ is get a massage , the last thing I'm gonna do in AZ before heading to KONA is get a massage, have a really good massage therapist in Tucson who is a retired AG KONA athlete (she really gets it for the triathlete). Been very lucky with nice warm weather here in NH and it looks to hold for the next week !
  • Options

@ AL and Tim...good work guys.  It seems like both of you are doing a good job balancing hard training with enough rest.   I think both of you are on a good track.

I'm slowly getting back into training after IMMT.  I took  4 days off completely, and then added ez, short swims and rides back into the mix.  Didn't run for 10 days post race to let  my blisters and toes heal up.  Everything good now.  I've done 3 ez, 3-4 miles runs in last 5 days and all good.  I'm going to do a 6 miler tonight and 90 minute run on Thursday.  I swam 3000 meters this am, & while not fast it felt ok.  Last Saturday I served as a race guide to phyically challanged athlete doing a super sprint.  I had to carry her 100 yards into and out of the water, & pretty much had to drag her for the 350 meter swim.  She was much better on the hand cycle and racing chair where I rode and ran along with her.  For me it was such a great reminder how blessed I am to be healthy and able to do these crazy IM events.  Also last Sunday I rode 75 miles in rolling terrain of Wisconsin with some less serious triathlete friends. I rode very ez or I would have left them in the dust.  Avg speed 16.0 mph, avg watts 132 (.50 IF) and 172 NP.  I did push it a bit up a few hills (hence higher NP) and then coasted down all the hills.  I forgot how nice it is to just coast along and chat with folks. Going to do my first serious interval session on the bike tomorrow am.  Going to swim 4000 meters on Friday.  Planning on an 80 mile ride at IM pace + 4 mile run this coming Saturday, and 60 mile ABP ride on Sunday.  Skipping the race rehersal that the plan has for this weekend per Coach R's instruction; he said go for bike volume instead.  After this weekend I'm going to  follow the advanced plan as close as possible up to the race.

Stay healthy!!  I'll be arriving in Kona on Saturday Oct 3 with my friend Kathleen.  She recently finished IMMT too but has never been to Kona.  I think she is just as excited to be going to Kona to spectate as I am to race.  We're staying with the EN camp group as that was basically the only reasonable place left.  JT arrives Tuesday Oct 6 as he had some work committments on Monday.

• Options
    @Bruce- very cool guiding for that athlete !
  • Options
    @ Tim...Yep, it is very gratifying.  It is the 2nd time I've guided her (her name is Biz) so we're getting to know each other a bit.  You might want to try guiding  some time.   They are always looking for experienced triathletes to be a guide.  When guiding my athlete, it really isn't a workout for me (except carrying her in and out of the water) as she isn't fast and it is all about her just finishing.  But some of them can be really fast even with their situations.  Some of the para-triathletes are amazingly determined to finish.  It blows my mind what they have to do to compete.  The transitions alone are a major effort, much less the actual propelling one's self forward on the course.  They all have my utmost respect.
  • Options
    Great updates! I like the idea Al has proposed of getting "swready" for Kona. image

All of you raced recently, and that makes the build to Kona so much harder mentally and physically. My advice is to lock in a steady run program at a good number for you (I am at about 40 miles per week) and use the bike and swim as tools to get back on track. Very little you can do here run wise that will pay off for Kona other than practicing the hydration stuff you'll need.

I am in a good place right now for the final push, but that could change. Pretty big week this week, then a lighter week, then one last big week for me...but I have decided to take my own advice re the run and keep the miles locked in and no single run longer than 2 hours (unless I get lost like last week).

Can't wait to see you all there!