Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽโ€บ 140.6 Forumsโ€บ Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Course Recon on Thursday?

Anyone interested in heading out together on Thursday early afternoon next week to recon the course?

I'll have a rental car but can probably only squeeze 1 bike in the back unless someone has a rack available.

Let me know if interested and we can work out the details.

ย 

Comments

• Options
    I want to ride as soon as I can get my bike from TBT (1 PM on Thursday) I have not as of yet rented a car, but will if needed. I have never seen the course and want to ride Garfoot and then Bourbon to Verona ( I think that's what has been suggested). I also don't know the area so unsure how to get out of town.
  • Options

Posted By Robert Sabo on 01 Sep 2015 09:41 AM

I want to ride as soon as I can get my bike from TBT (1 PM on Thursday) I have not as of yet rented a car, but will if needed. I have never seen the course and want to ride Garfoot and then Bourbon to Verona ( I think that's what has been suggested). I also don't know the area so unsure how to get out of town.

There's no need to ride your bike on Garfoot. Just drive the course to Bourbon Rd, paying attention to grades, turns, etc. You'll be fine on Garfoot, it's a non-issue that tri-noobs have made an issue over the years.ย 

Only ride the Bourbon Rd to Verona bit if you can drive back to a car, or have a driver to pick you up in Verona, etc. That is, don't ride that...and then ride back.ย 

• Options
    I'm using TBT as well so of the same mindset. Plan to register and swim around lunch time, grab the bike, jump in the car and roll.

Happy to drive - just double checked the reservation and I have a SUV crossover so 2 of us + bikes should be no problem. A 3rd could work - might be cozy.

If works for you Rob let's meet at TBT around 1:30-2(?) and go from there.
    Anyone else interested in riding it or going on a joy ride - lemme know.
  • Options

Sounds good David

Thanks Rich

• Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 01 Sep 2015 10:07 AM

That is, don't ride that...and then ride back.ย 

VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE!!!!!!

(once you ride it you'll understand why doing it twice isn't recommended!!)

• Options
    If I'm following the reco - here's the 10 mile route from intersection of CTH KP & Bourbon Rd to Midtown & Shady Oak Lane.
    10 miles of course, which we'd turn around and backtrack for 20 total unless we can entice a driver to join us.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3230894
  • Options
    My suggestion: take 2 cars. Drop one in Verona. Then take the others to Cross Plains which is the start of the map you have. Ride to Verona. Then get in the car you left in Verona and drive back to pick up the car in Cross Plains. I suggest this because (a) riding the course backwards is a waste and (b) you will cover more of the course this way. Also you will get the experience of riding Shady Oak to Verona which is a part of the course where you should be getting a lot of speed.
  • Options
    Clever clever.
    Are you joining us Matt?
  • Options
    As I won't be arriving until Thursday. I plan to go to the four keys talk. Are there any plans for race recon in Friday ? No biggie I have enough course information from checking out webinar. This being my first IMWI. Where do you feel on the course are the major issues ? Where do you feel where time can be made up ??
  • Options

Posted By David Duran on 01 Sep 2015 12:39 PM

Are you joining us Matt?
    TBD depending on schedule. I would like to but it will depend on (a) when I leave Chicago and (b) if I have some conference calls I need to do in the afternoon. I'd say there's a good chance I can make it.

• Options

Posted By Simon Shurey on 01 Sep 2015 01:08 PM

As I won't be arriving until Thursday. I plan to go to the four keys talk. Are there any plans for race recon in Friday ? No biggie I have enough course information from checking out webinar. This being my first IMWI. Where do you feel on the course are the major issues ? Where do you feel where time can be made up ??

4 Keys is FRIDAY morning Simon.

Team dinner Thursday evening so hoping to get the RR in before hand, then head to team dinner to chill w/ the crew.

• Options

I'm most likely in for this Thurs recon ride, with my plan being to start at Bourbon road and finish in Verona. So TBT pickup starts at 1p and we need to be back in time for the dinner at 6p, correct?ย 

I guess we ย can connect over GroupMe for the onsite details.ย 

• Options
    Exactly - can firm it up over txt on Thursday but roughly thinking:
    - meet up around 1:30 at TBT
    - about 45' to Bourbon road allowing for a stop in Verona to drop a car or 2 for return trip (if no spare drivers to follow).
    - hour tops for recon ride
    - 45' travel back to town puts us in around 4, plenty of time to regroup before dinner, spend more time driving course, etc as needed.
  • Options

Posted By David Duran on 08 Sep 2015 07:58 PM

Exactly - can firm it up over txt on Thursday but roughly thinking:

- meet up around 1:30 at TBT

- about 45' to Bourbon road allowing for a stop in Verona to drop a car or 2 for return trip (if no spare drivers to follow).

- hour tops for recon ride

- 45' travel back to town puts us in around 4, plenty of time to regroup before dinner, spend more time driving course, etc as needed.

Ok. I have a car and obviously don't need to ride drive the entire course. I'm really just doing this as an exercise in wrapping my head around watts, hr, cadence, speed for Sept Rich vs July Rich, when I was last out there. But I don't want to ride too much for fear of ruining the mojo of the magical unicorn tears chain I put on the bike...

Anyway, we'll figure it out.ย 

• Options
    I'm in, assuming I get out of Chicago when I hope to get out. So as not to spam everyone on GroupMe maybe you want to just text it once so people can opt in then have another set of texts to organize this. Totally your call. My mobile number is 312-952-0890. Cheers, Matt.