Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IMMD RR Plans

First Race Rehearsal is this week!  Woohoo- that means we are getting close.  Take some time to write down your plan so you can start practicing the execution for race day.  Below is my plan for this week- what's yours?

Friday:

Swim:     Estimate 1.5 hours

6:00am    Take 2 scoops UCAN with protein mixed with coffee

6:30am:  Race Rehearsal Swim OWS to Roanoke Island if possible with Joe paddling

8:00am    1 Scoop UCAN w/Pro immediately after swim- Have it ready!  Paddle home if you swam to RI.  Then shower and b-fast before work.

Saturday

5:00am    Wakeup Call. Get Dressed, apply sunscreen

5:30am    Drive to Ft Raleigh

5:45am    1 Scoop UCAN with Protein mixed with coffee

6:15am    Roll out from the lot.

Bike:       6 hours (won’t make 112 miles)

Bike Route:  If weather is favorable, 60 miles to Stumpy Point & Mashoes via bridges.  Restock food/water at the car.  Then 30ish more with just Mashoes.  If it is windy, will have to alter this route to stay on the Manns Harbor side to eliminate bridge crossing. 

Bike Gear:

• 6 water bottles (one up front, one on frame, two in rear hydration, 2 at car)
  • Flask with 4 scoops UCAN w/protein in pocket
  • Flask with 2 scoops UCAN w/protein at car
  • Garmin on bike
  • Cellphone in pocket (in Airplane mode)
  • BASE salt- 6 servings in Bento box
  • Toolbag on back with tire/tube/cash
  • Caffeine pill in Bento Box
  • Lip Balm, meds, eyeglass cleaner, chamois cream, and bug spray in Bento

Bike Pacing  FTP = 140

Time

Power

HR

0-0:30

JRA

Max 140

0:30-6:00

Max 155

Bike Nutrition

UCAN every hour on the hour

Base Salt every hour on the 30

Caffeine pill at 4:00

Water every 15 minutes

T2

1 Scoop UCAN without Pro

Run:  1:00 (on multi-purpose path)

Run Gear

• Water Bottle w/hand carrier and Salt
  • Shoes & Visor
  • iPod (RR only, not on race day)

Run Pacing

Max HR

Miles 1-3

Miles 3-6

BASE salt at 0:30

Water every 15 minutes

Finish!!!!   1 scoop UCAN w/Protein immediately

Comments

• Options
    looks like a solid plan Nemo. Need any calories during the run??
  • Options
    Thanks Nate! That 1 scoop of UCAN in T2 will carry me through the hour on the run. But I should probably carry a "break in case of emergency" GU with me too- thanks for the reminder.
  • Options
    Nemo - great plan!!!

Workout 1 of 5 of camp weekend is in the books. I did a pool swim at the YMCA in Easton tonight - OMG the water was 86 degrees and super chlorinated. I am definitely writing a really nice note to the managers of my local pool when I get home - I am spoiled! I had hoped to OWS but by training partner ended up not being able to come and I was too chicken to do it alone.

First of the two long bikes is tomorrow - I am excited to be off the hills this weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone - can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • Options
    So, day 2 of camp didn't quite go according to plan! Swim went well on Thursday as I said. Friday I got up and some of the administrative stuff ended up taking a little longer than I planned - my fault for not dialing everything in Thursday night but I was REALLY tired by the time I finally got to where I was staying. Headed out on the bike and felt really good for the first 25 or 30 miles and then things started to go really badly - I felt horrible. I just wanted to lay down and go to sleep. My legs felt good but the energy just wasn't there. It was really all I could do to finish out the first lap. When I got back to my car I ate a cookie, took in a bottle of iced H2O with Nuun and laid in the shade for about 20 min. I finally felt better and decided to head out on the second loop. The first loop had taken me about 3:25. I figured I would see how I was feeling on the second loop and play it by ear. I was tired on the second loop but my energy level was higher. I stopped and got a gatorade along the way as I was going through my liquid a little faster than planned. I also ate pretzels I had stuck in my pocket throughout the ride. Overall I felt better on the second loop than the first, my fatigue seemed more appropriate to my effort. The second loop took me about 3:20 moving time. However, between my extended rest stop between laps, potty and refuel breaks I was out for almost 8 hours. I skipped the brick run - will do that today. I hoped that today I would do the whole thing again but I think I will aim for one quality loop and an hour run. My only frustration is that I did not fuel differently than I have on my other long rides. The only difference was that I added some base salt on the hour and I concentrated my Infinit and did that and plain water. I am going to go back to infinit in every bottle - will just have to carry more bottles, and no salt.

Have a good day everyone!
  • Options
    I did not have to time to write out a camp week plan. Due to work, I adjusted my week. Thursday long run, Friday RR swim, Sat RR bike and run, Sunday ride as long as possible. Did 13 miles Thursday morning. Did a 20 mile bike ride Thursday just for fun with bike group. Friday's swim....I only did about 2200m. My swim progress has been a little behind schedule. So a continuous swim of that length was encouraging. Saturday's RR went well. I cheated myself out of breakfast due to lack of planning Drank infinit custom blend for first 30 miles. Think i did about 24 ounces. Temperatures were mild to start. At the rest stop I grabbed a payday king size and a pack of nekot peanut butter cookies; breakfast is served in aero. Using my garmin alert, I tried to drink every 15 mins and eat one gu per hour. As the day warmed up, I tried to drink more but don't think I quite made it to two bottles per hour. Felt relatively strong coming off the bike. Ran with Infinit in my hand held, one gu and one gu bites. Ate two bites at mile one and two at mile two. Drank just about all of the infint by mile 5. I definitely could have used some more. Solid run in zone one. Overall a good day. Sunday, I could only manage 42 miles on the bike. sausage mcmuffin and coffee for breakfast. Drank about 16 ounces and consumed one gu in 2.25 hours of riding. Should have done more. Definitely will have a better plan for RR#2.
  • Options
    Hey all, sounds like we're all learning lessons this weekend!! I know I did yesterday during my 6 hour ride / 1 hour run! Basically, everything that could go wrong, did. Hoping that means it won't happen race day, but if so... I'm prepared!

* My new computer didn't show power, nor had elapsed ride time -> I did finally fix it, but learned I need to spend more time with it, getting used to it
    * computer kept dropping watts -> contact Garmin & Stages (and google issue) to see what's up; consider putting Quarq back on
    * I flatted -> got great practice with fixing flats and re-learning how to use CO2 pump (it's been a while!); made a stop at bike shop to buy 2 tubes & 2 cartridges (and figured out how to fit it all in my storage bottle
    * one rear bottle cage rattling -> realized bottom screw had fallen out, but seemed to be pretty stable
    * other rear bottle cage (holding spare tubes) fell off -> fired bike mechanic hubby who installed bottle cages Friday; was able to squeeze bottle cage in jersey pocket and hit same bike shop on way home, where they put it back together. Lesson: check & double check all bike connections before ride!
    * not a very good course - too hilly, too many lights, and dang bike path at end, so very hard to stay steady (horrible VI) -> I opted to ride w/ a friend who picked the course; for RR#2, I'm riding solo and picking my own course!

Physically, I felt good and kept the effort at ~71 - 73% FTP, and ate & drank pretty well, although not optimally for first couple hours when it was raining (lesson - don't wear anything white or even red when raining... my EN shorts might be permanently skunk-striped!)

The run, on the other hand, went well (I think.) I ran at the last 90' long ride HR, and it felt very, very comfortable. One thing I noticed though, is that I had to slow my pace each mile, even though the HR crept up slightly. Not sure what that means... might check w/ CoachP, as I'm still trying to work out this whole HR-based run thing.

All for me for now; heading out for my 90' swim today (yeah, I'm doing things kind of out of order!) Hope you all are having successful RRs, learning lots of lessons!
  • Options
    I managed to get the full camp in - with only a 56 mile ride on Saturday followed by a 55 min run. I ran 14 on Sunday and felt really good. I would say overall the weekend turned out to be a big success. I rode the Eagleman course as opposed to the actual IM course because that is what I could load into my garmin easily. All I can say about the course can be summed up in two words: FLAT, WIND. We should all putting in our good words to the weather gods for a low wind day as well as getting ready to do nothing but pedal for the full 112, there is literally not even a bump in the road. I haven't quite figured out my week for this week yet. I rested yesterday, I may bike today, we will see!
  • Options
    All I can say about the course can be summed up in two words: FLAT, WIND.

This is something Jim Ebert and I know very well and can speak to at great length! The biggest challenge on a course like this is going to be under-estimating it because the profile looks "easy". Direction of the wind will have a huge impact, but even a 5-10mph wind (which doesn't seem like much) will suck if you are stuck heading strait into it for 20 miles without a break. And I can tell you that 70% of FTP going up a big hill in your little gear for 10 minutes just "feels" a lot easier than 70% of FTP going 12mph or less on a flat road with the wind beating you down!
  • Options

Nemo,  this is spot on from what I experienced at ChesapeakMan (now IMMD) in 2013.  I am determined to go easy for the first hour because flat just gets hard after a while.  People are going to be flying out there for the first 40-50 miles only to realized something is terribly wrong at mile 100 of the bike. 

Posted By Nemo Brauch on 01 Sep 2015 07:54 AM

. And I can tell you that 70% of FTP going up a big hill in your little gear for 10 minutes just "feels" a lot easier than 70% of FTP going 12mph or less on a flat road with the wind beating you down!

• Options
    Yup. And if you feel like a rockstar- chances are pretty dang good the wind is at your back, so don't overcook it then either 'cause when you turn around it's paybacks! The other thing to consider is giving yourself permission to get out of Aero to drink and eat (or on some other schedule). On a hilly course, you naturally get opportunities to adjust your position, sit up for a little, etc. On a flat course that just doesn't happen unless you make it happen, and unless you've trained to ride 112 miles in aero peddling non-stop and never once sitting up- you are gonna lock up when you try to get off the bike!
  • Options

hope this is in the right place.

IMMD 2015 EN RACE PLAN (draft)

Kinda following Coach Patrick’s race plan. Use for last RR and IMMD where possible.

TOOL KIT GENERAL
    WD40, roll of electric tape for red bike bar tape,

TOOL KIT RACE MORNING
    Printed “list”,

PRE RACE
    Tires, tubes, tape updated 4 months ago but some red bar tape needs new black anchoring electric tape

MONDAY
    Back from CA wedding! Last Monday made sure I had equipment and a complete list of supplies needed for IMMD.
    MASTER LIST = (GENERAL) equipment duffle (for secondary and tertiary resources), IM backpack (for primary IM equipment), 8 gallon plastic tub (for transiton equipment and a seat), medium & small coolers, nail files, charge toothbrush & shaver, case of marked electric cords, 2 HR monitor transmitters & straps, (NUTRITION) 4 chocolate milks, 6 FRS cans, tub with ibuprofen, pack of military gum, 4 packs of gorungum, sugar chicklets, liter of real coke. (SWIM) 3 pair goggles, 3 tri suits, sleeveless wetsuit, half wetsuit, TYR Torque suit (BIKE)2 bike tubes, spare bike wheels, chamis cream tub & tubs, 2 pair bike gloves, 2 sunglasses with readers (TRANSITIONS) use bag lists
    (RUN) 3 pare socks, baby powder, toe gels, white Desoto tri kit,
    TUESDAY
    Prep equipment for travel to IMMD on Wednesday, charge shaver & toothbrush
    Charge Garmins, clean and lube bike & chain
    Trim nails, cut hair
    Yoga & Tai Chi classes

WEDNESDAY
    Travel to IMMD lodging (Comfort Inn & Suites) with Jarie
    Basic orientation to the area
    Short bike to check condition
    Opening ceremonies

THURSDAY
    Race Expo, check in, buy stuff I may use now or can use later
    PM – bike the run route
    Check equipment & race resources; prep transition bags
    Swim?
    1715 – EN Diner @ 1730, River View at the Point Restaurant, "1 A Sunburst Highway
    Cambridge, MD 21613".

FRIDAY
    0730 - Bfast = hot oat meal with dark fruit on top, banana, AM vits with 1% chocolate milk
    0830 – drive the bike
    1230 – lunch = pasta/protein sauce, dark chocolate desert, ice tea
    1400 – yoga, meditate
    1430 – mix/prep my hydration, freeze or store ice. 2 nutrition Ziplocs (waffles and wafers, hard gum, caffeine gum, ibuprofen). One for bento box (with 6 cheese and peanut butter crackers) and one for back pocket of trisuit. Will use bento box and some trisuit nutrition on bike. The rest of nutrition, if any for the run so I have food I like.
    1530 – review bike (race #s, anything lose?, tire pressure about 110, flat box behind seat supplied) and bags; drop off bike & bags at transition
    1630 – if transition 8 gal tub still useable, fill with bike shoes [compression arm sleeves in shoes & thin tech socks (garmin HR mon transmitter in sock)], running shoes (garmin for run & Ziploc with sweet & salt nutrition in shoes), bike helmet with gloves and sunglasses, head and wrist sweat bands, race # on belt, 2 goggles, group colored cap, ground foot matt, small drying towel,
    1730 – diner = chicken, salad with fruit/avocado/nuts, iced tea, PM vits
    1830 – tattoo #s on, make PBJ sandwich for right before swim.
    1915 in bed

SATURDAY (race morning)
    0330 - wake up, Bfast of raisin bran with blueberries, a banana, vits with 1% chocolate milk
    (if up late!) apple sauce, banana, and vits with 1% chocolate milk
    0400 – sunscreen, garmin strap, moo cream, tri suit, compression calf sleeves, ankle timer, cheap flip flops, shave, shorts and T-shirt for after race (has my cell phone wallet, car keys) eliminate(?)
    0500 – me to transportation with any transition items not in transition bags or 8 gal tube
    0600 – IN TRANSITION = set garmins, check bike gears, (if now: set up bike transition area, race chip, body marking, bottles, gum, ibuprofen, and nutrition on bike); last chance for a visit to the “club house”, 2nd goggles on left side if tri suit, cap & primary goggles (clear or shaded depending on sun height and direction) on chest in tri suit. Bike garmin on (you set it for bike, it knows the HR transmitter you will use, power is calibrated, it is on the page with HR/RPMs/time). Double Aquacell in aerobars (hopefully thawed out coke and iced green tea), 2 frozen FRS set for back pockets of tri suit, iced or frozen green tea and FRS in bike frame bottle carriers. In a good gear for starting to peddle? Sleeveless wetsuit, lava suit, or trisuit depending on water temp
    PRE-SWIM
    Half PBJ, sip chocolate milk, know your wave! Goggles under cap, in water
    SWIM
    In wave get to middle, ahead of slow swimmers (?), look for a strong swimmer and get behind.
    Fast 1st 100 strokes, find stroke rhythm, sight every 9 strokes, watch for tendency to the left, keep counting strokes so ya don’t realize IT’S STARTED AND YA GOT HOURS AND HOURS OF THIS TO COME! (try to counter by noting you’re in better shape than 90% of older guys; you’ve trained enough to do your best) Pee? Gentlemen don’t tell. Often remind yourself you are a swimmer. Relax. Half mile to go; still strong (?) …increase stroke. Swim till hands are touching bottom. Stand, remove cap & goggles, get 2nd goggles out of tri suit.
    T-1
    Slow and smooth. Don’t watch others. Know “the” list [wetsuit off & hang over bike bar, sit next to bike and layed out equipment, dry feet, put on socks, bike gloves from helmet, HR transmitter in glove snapped to chest strap, then gloves to side trisuit pockets, sunglasses from helmet hang from back of trisuit, rolled up arm compression from helmet on wrists, shoes on, sweat head and wrist bands on, helmet on and snapped]. Bottles to trisuit, nutrition to back trisuit pocket (Ziploc and 6 cheese crackers; some for run), stand up and get bike off wrack, lift and drop for signs of loose items (OK?) fast to transition exit, mount bike in designated area, clip in right shoe, push off.
    BIKE
    Clip in left shoe, a good gear? Gloves on, roll arm compression up.
    Easy for 30-45 min. low 80s RPM. Hydrate every 15-20 min. care not to draft. Keep right, announce left passing. Ibuprofen at 2-3 hours depending on condition of let small toes.
    You know the route. Relax. Mid to upper 80s RPMs. Follow the route, look for folks to pass. Don’t concern over being passed. Relax, watch RPMs, check power occasionally.
    At aid stations get Gatorade to replenish aquacell, water for head and body, drink a little. Point to bottles you plan to take and drop at end of aid station garbage area, watch HR and RPMs to get back into rhythm. Ibuprofen at 5-6 hours?
    Last mile - increase RPMs, loosen shoes, unclip at dismount, move to run equip quickly.
    T-2
    Wrack bike. Take off helmet and gloves, put them on bike. Sit on 8 gal tub, remove shoes, remove trisuit empty bottles if feet bad replace socks, 2nd garmin from shoes, turn on & to trisuit, put on shoes, more trisuit rash cream needed? …apply.
    Stand, put on hat, bib & belt. Get cool chocolate milk into trisuit. Fast to transition exit.

RUN
    Garmin to left wrist, be sure it is on time/HR/speed. Slow & smooth pace. Drink chocolate milk, drop at 1st aid station.
    At aid stations – Walk thru. Get a towel to tuck under hat in the back and hang down over neck. Water over head and arm compression at each station. Ice under hat and down suit.
    Drink Gatorade and coke if available. Pretzels & sugar snacks if needed.
    Smile. Find folks to run with who will push/pull you along. Check garmin put go on how you feel.

I JUST HOPE I USE AT LEAST SOME OF THIS PLAN!!! i'll print a copy and review it several times, with improvements i hope, before i leave for MD.
  • Options

never done a reply before!

should also note that route through black water creek national wildlife refuge does not allow spraying for mosquitoes. if you get a flat look for an area with a breeeze or you will be a meal for many mosquitoes.

i recall water soooo deep on the roads you couldn't follow white or yellow lines.  i just kept myself in the middle of the tops of vegetation that lines the road. ocassional islands of road appeared but then back into 4+" deep water. yes my tri suit got soaked. bikers past me and cars were also on the road. if the first transition is wet paths out with my bike were watery mud. i took photos of the mud caked on my tires! needed much bike maintenance later.

• Options

Jim- who cares if this is the right place or not- as long as you do it!!  Really happy to see that Jari will be joining you this time!  Here are some of my thoughts:

You have the Opening Ceremony listed for Wed, but it's actually Tues (during the EN dinner- so most of us will miss it).  Not a biggie, just an FYI.

You won't be able to use the tub in transition.  Everything has to be in your T1 "Bike" bag or attached to the bike race morning.  BUT, here's the good news for you.  At a full Ironman, the transition tent (where you will run into with your T1 Bag) has CHAIRS!!!  Yes my friend, you don't need to bring your bucket, you will have a chair.  Dump out your T1 bag, put on all your stuff, and ask a volunteer to put your wetsuit and goggles back in the bag for you if one is available.

Swim- you mention "waves", but there are no swim waves at IMMD.  It's a rolling start that you'll line up according to your expected swim time and when the gun goes off at 6:50 that line keeps moving forward into the water (kinda like a marathon start).  So you need to estimate your swim time and be ready to line up accordingly.

In T2, you won't need to rack your own bike.  You'll hand it off to a volunteer and they will rack it for you.  You'll pick up your T2 bag and then run into transition to change (again, those chairs will be waiting!)

That's about all I've got for ya- please tell Jari to cheer for me too!