Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

3 Weeks To Go

Last week, I got in pretty much full swimming and running (10,000m and 29 mi), but only about 50 miles biking. Instead, I was doing the ITU Standard (Olympic) AG World Championships in Chicago on Saturday. meaning Friday was a total admin day for registration, bike prep, and Thursday/Sunday were travel days, so only a run (Th) and swim (Sun). Since I wanted to make sure I got in my long run and swim early in the week, and there was a rain event one day, I didn't get in a long bike.

The race itself was a whole lot of fun, despite anticipatory trepidation. EG, there were 10-12 foot waves predicted on Lake Michigan, a 20-25 mph wind. But, luckily, those winds were straight out of the north, and we had a great windbreak in that direction sheltering the swim, as well as a jetty most of the way along the course to protect against swell. Then, a lot of the bike was underground. Downtown Chicago has a lot of double and triple decker roadways, and we were on a couple of those for 90% of the ride. One completely enclosed (Lower Wacker), and one open to the air, but below grade (a busway to McCormack Place), so I found the wind to be a non-factor. The bike, oddly for a race of this caliber, was about 2 miles short. I did it @ 0.9 IF, except for the first 2-3 miles, which were building from 0.8. The run, I was trying to protect my hamstring tendonitis, so I went the first 2 miles @ IM RPE, the next two @ maybe HIM, and the last bit @ a good solid HMP. I must have passed 4-45 guys in my AG in the final 1.5 miles, when I started going my normal Oly distance effort. No post-race increase in pain, or fatigue, so all is good.

I raced without a GPS watch, or an HR strap. I did have a tiny little Timex to give me splits and times, but it drowned (leaked water) on the swim, so I had no clue about that split, nor what was going on during the run. That was OK, as I wanted to run totally by RPE anyway. And there were no km or mile markers, so I would not have known my speed anyway.

It was an odd race, in that it took over three hours to get everyone off. We raced basically in successive waves by AG. For some reason, they stuck all the OF smack in the middle of the progression. That made for a pretty crowded course from my perspective. And there were far more women than usual for a race. Lotsa folks from: Mexico, Canada, Great Britain, Canada, Ireland, Australia, Brasil. Some from Ireland, France, but didn't really see any Germans. The run was four loops back and forth along a closed downtown street (Columbus) @ the edge of a park, so there were a lot of spectators, and a lot of runners around at all times. I pretty much was in a happy place the whole way, just having fun, staying within my envelope at all times. I'm hoping I can carry that attitude into the Big Dance.

I'm planning on 10 days of good solid training yesterday thru next Tuesday. 2 each long run, long swim, long bike. 2 Swim speed and 1 bike speed workouts. Three opne-hour treadmill workouts without a fan for some acclimitization. 15 total sessions, five in each sport, aiming for 30 hours and 1500 TSS. Then taper on the Big Island.

Comments

• Options

@ Al...nice race.  Glad to hear it went well, and no problems with injuries.  Sorry I missed you, but I skipped the open sprint race I had signed up for months ago.  For me, since I wasn't racing in the ITU World Championship event (just signed up for the local sprint race occuring at the same venue) and the sprint is not the best training for Kona, I didn't drive all the way downtown.   

Instead on Saturday I did a Big Day....swam 2000 m, rode 105 miles at 212 NP, then ran 3 with last mile at 8:08 pace.  Yesterday I rode 57 miles @ 233 NP, swam 3800m, and ran 3 more.  Best of all my right knee now feels fine.  I did go see the ortho MD last Thursday and he said my knees look structurally great & that I have the knees of a 40 year old, not an OF.  He confirmed some tendonitis and said just take it ez on running until it feels better.   I feel really strong on the swim & bike (I swam 15,000 m and rode 220 miles last week) but my run is questionable (only ran 18 last week on 5 short runs).  I'll try to get a 10 mile run in this Thursday but I don't really expect to do anything over that until race day.  Just going to have to suck it up in the Energy Lab and on the Queen K.  I'm not going to try to run fast, just keep goinig steady.  I'm counting on years of run training to carry me to the finish.

• Options
    FYI FROM IRONMAN: Hi Athletes heading to Kona and racing:
    We are looking for two age groupers (man and women) who would be willing to let us mount a Go Pro camera on their bike. If interested please email me at Elizabeth.kollar@ironman.com
  • Options
    @Al welcome back , congrats on your results , and most importantly nice to hear your healthy after racing.... Your next 10 days sound very optimistic but I know you are the master of balance so just keep asking yourself those important questions every day!

@Bruce nice big weekend :-)

@ P and Turby - you guys just absolutely killed it last week... P - I am so happy we never hooked up for that "elite" training camp , I never would have survived... I kept reporting to Heather what you guys were doing off STRAVA... Her question to me was do you feel "the peer pressure" to catch up or equal what they are doing? I laughed and said absolutely no-freaking way... I'm doing what I think is my limit and NO MORE....

Training in AZ.... well I came for the heat and its here alright... getting plenty of hot training.... Just posted my attempt at a Metric Ironman Race Rehearsal for KONA in the Race/Training reports threads .... I'm still looking for my legs... I'm pretty happy with how I am running/swimming but pretty disappointed in how the bike has been going... Wrapped up the week with 21 hrs , 13,600 yds swim , 266 bike, and 34 run.... today was a very easy swim only day .... tomorrow back to work... One more weekend to put the confidence on my game!
  • Options
    Bammm just like that.... All of a sudden my legs decide to show up today... So we had a talk...Me: Legs where have you been? Legs: We don't know but be nice to us. Me: OK I will but please don't leave me again until after IMAZ. Legs: Treat us right and we'll take care of you. Me: How about some hard training/racing but I will feed you and massage you? Legs: Sounds good we're with you until after IMAZ and then we want some time off... Me: DEAL....... OK Maybe it had something to do with temps in the high 70's to low 80's but I had a good 65 mile ride at IF .82 then 5 mile brick today (non-typical Tucson very humid and rain as well)...

Some other things to get ready for KONA.... Got a fast haircut (always need one of those)... Acai Bowl for lunch at the Farmers Market.... Bought some Macadamia Nut butter and of course some KONA coffee !
  • Options
    Name this Band or Song?

I'm a wheel, I'm a wheel
    I can roll, I can feel
    And you can't stop me turning!

Just part of the mental preparation that has begun!

Finished off my week with 19hrs , 13k swim, 220 bike, 34 run.... Lots of heat and wind this week...

Friday- was a Swim RR in the pool with Roka Swimskin 1:07 right around where it should be...

Saturday- was a 111 ride in 5:05 @ IF .75 , the goal was to ride RPP for around 80 and then just under RP , Oh I accomplished that alright but TOO light on the last 30 so a bit disappointing , the wheels definitely came off with the heat and the wind that just happened to pick up at 70-80.... To put it into perspective I was 12 minutes slower on the second half and the course was exactly the same ! Was 103 in the car and 106 on the garmin file when I got off the bike so bailed on my brick ( I was also feeling really really bad)... Winds were reported to be gusting 24-37 depending on the site and station I looked at ( I believe 24 but not 37) Very KONA like conditions with the exception of my course was very flat! So disappointing but some highlights are I stayed aero and have a good wattage target for KONA !

Sunday- 15 mile run/walk in 2:07 , 8:30 avg pace , starting temp 84 ending temp 95 , did a flat 3.75 mile out and back twice , down wind on the way out and head wind on the way back , might as well have been 2 completely different days , heat was just brutal running with the wind , and actually quite comfy running into the wind except the extra effort required.... Pace came in around EP so considering temps , happy with this !

After my Run - I set up my bike and practiced mounting the bike with shoes already on bike... I've never done this before , so went over it 5 times....

Hope all is well... We'll be on the Island before you know it!

Kicking off the taper tomorrow with a nice easy swim and Massage !
  • Options

@ Tim....I got no clue about that song.  Sorry.  Nice week.  You're ready after doing all of that in the heat.

I finished the week with 11,800 m swimming, 182 miles riding and 27 miles running.  Best of all, my right knee didn't bother me at all this week. The key workout was Thursday.  The plan said 150' run, well, Coach P and I said no to that.  Instead I ran 5 miles in 44 minutes in 75F and sun (yep Tim that's about as hot as it gets here this time of year), then rode the trainer for 60' with 1x15' @ 210W (Z2) and 1x20' @ 225W (Z3), then ran another 5 miles on the treadmill in 44:10.  So 88' of running with 60' of riding in the middle.  Knee was fine the entire time.

Friday I swam 90' non-stop.  Didn't bother to count the laps.  Just got in the water at 5:55 am and stopped at 7:25 am. Struggled a bit at the 40' mark but just tried to relax and focus on form.  I got a 2nd wind and was able to finish the last 30' in good shape.

Yesterday I rode 85 miles on my road bike.  It was 60-75F.  No PM on this bike so I just kept my HR about 125 bpm, which is 10 less than I'll race at.  Followed up with 3 mile brick at 8:55 pace.  Today I rode 60 miles but pushed my HR over 140 bpm 5 times for 3' each time.  Ran an ez 2 mile brick and then swam ez 2000 m.  Feeling pretty good.  Time to taper.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the knee.  Will be in Kona on Saturday.  Getting excited.  See everyone soon!!  Stay healthy.