Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum πŸŽβ€Ί 140.6 Forumsβ€Ί Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

2 Weeks To Go

I just took a look at Strava, and saw I was #2 in last week's EN time rankings - if I had done even half a mile of the run in yesterday;s race rehearsal, I would have finally gotten ahead of that KMF man. But ... I have been following a pretty rigid plan for my running ever since the pain crept back 4 weeks ago: no hard runs @ FTP, two long-ish runs (2:20 and 2:00), only treadmill or track venues, and rest 48 hours between runs. Since I had already done a 10K "brick" @ the ITU race in Chicago a week earlier, and I had run the day before, I waited until this AM to get on the treadmill again.

I have been sitting in the sauna until I got a good dripping sweat just before starting the treadmill. Saw this tidbit in a Jordan Rapp article in Lava, saw no harm, so gave it a try. I'm also getting in the sauna before indoor swims, and cycling in the afternoon (except for those two long rides I took) out on the deck with no fan. I don't know if that will improve my acclimation, but it's what I can do.

Sat/Sun/Mon I did a long run/bike/swim, and feel pretty good about each of them. Although I did get the start of some toenail hematomas. Just when I got them all healed, no I'll probably see 2-3 of them go black in Hawaii. One more day of indoor training, then off to HI on Wednesday.

Here's my tentative plan Wed thru Sun once I get there: Wed - run from condo to Little Blue Church and back, possible 70-80 minutes. Thurs, AM swim, maybe an hour; PM, a recon-type ride from the park just past the airport to Waikoloa and back. Friday: full course swim in the AM, 4 mile run in the PM. Saturday: 2.5-3 hours ride from about Mauna Kea to Hawi and back. Sunday: 30 minute swim, 30 minute run, both maybe up in A-Bay @ Waikoloa. Race week, gotta do some snorkeling and easy hiking; triathlon "training" will be limited to Mon-Wed, plus shakedown bike ride/run on Thurs.

Comments

• Options
    @ Al your being smart about the running ! I take it your not going to do the practice swim on Saturday?

Today- as mentioned previously , a nice easy swim (even used PB/fins/paddles) 90 min massage ahhhhhh...... couple good meals.... couple feet up sessions on the couch.... this afternoon set up my race wheels with new rubber ....