Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Ironman Saint George RR#1 THE PLAN for this Saturday

“All you've done for 9 months is build a vehicle. Ironman racing is about how you DRIVE that vehicle, it is not about the VEHICLE ITSELF.”  

I know it is not about the vehicle at this point, but I thought I would take some time and at least let you know what I am driving. I wish I could say my vehicle for race day was a Lotus, or I would even take a Challenger but what I have built is more of a 1967 VW bug with a bad cylinder. It is, what it is, now I need to make the most of it…. I want to drive it the best I can… please let me know if I am looking at this right. 

Course

112 miles all on a bike trail (33 miles one-way), mostly flat with a couple 250-foot climbs/descents. A stupid easy course compared to Saint George. It does however allow me to be in the aero bars 85% of the time and get the 112 distance checked off the mental list. In addition, I will end up riding by the car two or three times to shed clothes and refuel.

Pacing

Bike

FTP 236 IF .70

1st 155

2nd 165

3rd 175

4th 180

Start the first hour of the bike at 155, the remainder of the ride 165, with the exception of hills.

Run

Z1 EP 10:00

10:00 + 30” the first two-three miles, then 10 the rest of the run.

Nutrition

Bike 270 cal/hr on the bike.

A couple of 1,000-calorie Inifinit bottles with the serving sizes marked on the side.

22-24 ounces of water an hour.

Run 100 cal/hr

On all my long runs, I have carried a flask with hammer gel. Every mile I walk 30 paces alternating between water and water + gel. It seems to be working good.

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Options
    Nice job Tom! I'd recommend forceing yourself to stick to that 10:00+30 for all of the first 3 miles. Don't go wishy washing saying 2-3. It's gonna be REALLY hard to go "that slow" and you should practice it now. Don't give into temptation during your RR to speed up- practice the mental six pack you need to keep the faith and stay at pace!

What are you eating for breakfast? Practice your pre-race meal plan if you can.
    Are you planning to do a sweat test? That will help you determine if you've taken in enough H20 and salt
    Sunscreen- don't forget it!
    What are you wearing? Do you plan to wear your raceday shorts? Are you sure those shorts are OK for 112 miles in TT position?
    Post workout nutrition? Sounds like you are driving to the RR site. Make sure you bring something to have in the car to eat as soon as you get done.

Good Luck! Oh- and the nice thing about VW bugs is that they are really light, so they are easier to push up those hills!! Go Get Em!!!
  • Options
    This is a great plan...your RR is already off to a great start!!!!
  • Options
    Nemo's given some great feedback. I think you've definitely taken the right first step by planning this in advance. Now you'll just follow the plan and git'r dun. Let us know on the flip side how it goes.
  • Options

If you are doing "loops" then mark them with intervals on the PT or whatever device you are using. You can then go back after to look at how you did on each section. Hopefully you will be consistent throughout. Good luck!

Also, find the thread to send your power files to Patrick after the rehearsal for analysis.  Always something to learn.

tom