Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 18 - The Line!

Welcome to Week 18, the week ending with our second race rehearsal and the last full week before taper begins.  Lots of good solid work going on within the group, very impressive.  Also last week the "chatter" picked up a lot, which is great.  Let's see if we can keep that going this week as well.  

The Line

Summary: Nothing on race day really matters until you reach The Line on the run. The Line is the point at which continuing becomes very, very difficult. You define success as simply not slowing down at The Line.

Advice: EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you. 

1. A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.
  2. If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferrably not attempted for the first time on race day!).
  3. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and is defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).
  4. Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!
  5. Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

Comments

• Options
    Getting butterflies anyone?

This is going to be a bit wonky...again this week but hope to get a full RR swim and absolutely get my RR Bike/run....just might be a FRI instead etc. (that 1 day sooner will help my taper a lot image )

Wayyyy to much non race related stressors right now and coming in NOV Arrrrrgh!
    However...I think my acceptance of my shortcomings is going well.
    I am "OK" with knowing my swim will not be "raced" and I wont be in at 1hr or even 1:15 anything under 1:30 is A-OK.....
    With that I've accepted my run isn't quite 'there' and as such I'll be OK with keeping my bike split moderate. ....still looking for a 30 min better Bike AND 15min off Run VS Vineman. so..... still should be under 12 hr and closer to 11:30 (not my pre-season goal of 11even)...
    Just dialing in.... (a 6hr bike/4:<15Run vs 5:45bike and pace 4:30 run) etc
  • Options
    Final Race Rehearsal!
    Is everyone as exhausted as I am?

Race Rehearsal Plan

Load up night before
    Check Tire Pressure / Bike Componets
    Check Stages Power Meter
    Clifbars/UCAN + Hydrate
    Ice Chest ready to load with Bananas and nut mix
    (Don't forget salt tabs and asprin!)
    Aquaphor
    Lube, tubes, air

Breakfast
    Peanut Butter Banana Chia Toast - Coffee
    UCAN on the ride to the Bay

Arrive at Glorietta Bay at 6:15 and get in the water. . .
    Swim
    1.2 miles out and back
    Make sure Garmin is started
    Keep Strokes long and efficient stay in the box and don't burn matches
    You're a swimmer, you're a swimmer, you're a swimmer

T1
    Fuel - Clifbar Hydrate
    Recheck Tire Pressure
    Lube Chain
    Sun glasses
    Helmet

Bike
    Turn on Garmin
    Steady Aero all the way
    keep HR in proper zones
    only out of aero to stretch back if necessary
    if foot pain comes (which it usually does around 70 miles). Take the time to walk it out
    You're a cyclist, you're a cyclist, you're a cyclist
    Fuel
    One bottle of UCAN (downed not sipped) every 35 miles
    One bottle of Hydrate per lap (15 miles)
    1/2 Clifbar per lap
    One salt tab per hour (more often if hot)

T2
    Refuel - Nuts, Banana, Clifbar, UNCAN
    Fuel belt with Hydrate
    Pack of Shot Blocks
    Cap

Run
    First mile get your feet - keep your avg heart rate from the bike
    Next five miles steady and conservative
    You're a slow and steady runner

T3
    Beer

Love input. I'm sure I'm forgetting something
  • Options
    I thought I was too tired for butterflies until I got the athlete guide and saw how many things I need to think about waaay ahead of time.
  • Options
    @Kevin, sounds like a great plan. Don't worry about anything in the athlete guide. At this point all your focus can and should be on the race rehearsal. As an aside, you are well on your way to a great race plan!

So far the weather is looking pretty good for my weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Although I know I could do a RR on the trainer, I would be happy to never actually have to prove that.

Stand strong this week, the end is in sight!

• Options
    More race day questions for the vets & the locals: Sounds like flats could be an issue. How many tubes do you folks recommend to carry?
  • Options
    Chris-race day is totally different experience on the beeline.
    We are all training on the shoulder of the highway. There is lots of debris.
    Race day they close the west side to traffic. Traffic is routed on the east side of divided highway. They sweep the road for us. In three years of doing this race I have never flatted. Having said that I keep two tubes and CO2s with me at all times. All I put in bike special needs is an extra tube and even a tire. I have never used any of it though.
  • Options
    4 mi run done-2x z4 (-7",-3") and finished with a z2.
    Coolest am yet-outside temp at 0630 in my car on way to work -58 degrees

Need to get in the pool tonite after work
  • Options
    I saw so many flats last year I lost count. I reached down and brushed my tires with my glove after each one... Carry at least one tube and extra co2. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    My week has been interesting but mostly successful. I've gotten the Monday and Tuesday runs in without issue. The swims have been a different situation but I'm making due. Tomorrow will be another "ride" on an exercise bike. Good news is that it has power so I can ride to plan. Bad news is there is no fan in the exercise room so I end up finishing in a pool of my own sweat. Gross. If the weather holds I'll probably swim again tomorrow to make up for the time I've missed.
  • Options
    I always carry two tubes and two cartridges. I've only flatted once in an IM, never in the past two IM AZ events.

I'm getting tired! Can't wait for taper time. Had a little nutrition meltdown on my last long bike so I'm still dialing in my nutrition. I have an updated plan and hopefully it will go well this week!
  • Options

Sending good juju your way, everyone!  

We have had several tri geeks come into the bike shop I work at recently for last minute tune-ups, tire changes, etc. in prep for IMAZ.  Dudes are spent and can't wait for taper.  

Good luck and remember it is all about staying in your Box and Mile 18!

~Stark

• Options
    The Dentist Appointment- Tomorrow's long ride is looming like a dentist appt...Heather's words not mine...But I gotta agree that its a great analogy....Got up at 5:30am, had coffee, banana, 3 dates, then Swim RR done as 7 x 600yds (15"), post swim Oatmeal Waffle with blueberries acted for the maple syrup delivery system... Remainder of the day will be carbo loading / resting very similar to Race Day prep.... Tomorrow (weather forecast low 50's highs mid 70's )should be similar to raceday, planning a full IM ride with a 4 mile run , Sunday 2hr run.... then its taper time!

Hope all is going well... Lets bring it one more weekend!
  • Options
    Thanks John Stark for the boost!

@Tim-so that's a taste of what retirement is like?!
    My day is 12+ hours in OR (6th on the call wheel) then
    RR swim after. Less than 12 hours before long bike/run-the dentist appointment for sure.
    And my rest day Sunday, back in the OR as 2nd call

A cold storm blew in yesterday, AM low was 57. At least it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow and high in low 80s

Week has been pretty good, only missing low priority Monday swim, Wednesday run.

Wed bike: 2x15' (that's what trainer road had for intermediate, wk 18, despite dashboard saying 2x18')
    @1.01, 1.0
    Thursday run-85' at prescribed paces (up at 0330 to get that much in) then remaining 20' in treadmill before PM swim.
    The mill was painful as due time crunch didn't allow enough warmup time

Good luck to everyone on their last RR!
  • Options
    Yup, the dentist appointment for sure. A nice 5-6 hour root canal.

Ok, enough of the doom and gloom. I actually think I'm going to get great weather for the north east on October 31st. It's supposed to to get to 58 tomorrow with no rain, so I'm super happy about that.

I'm off to run and then mix bottles and sort food in prep for tomorrow. This is all happening very quickly.
  • Options
    My race rehearsal day is in the books. I got of to a little bit of a late start but that seemed to work to my favor as there was an open lane at the otherwise crowded pool. I swam for 1:26 straight, next to a wide assortment of lane mates. It' was not my best effort, but I got it done. https://www.strava.com/activities/423981408

From there I drove home and loaded all of my bike and run crap into the car and headed out. My last race rehearsal had way more climbing that I realized (5200') so I picked a new spot for this round. The new spot worked out much better with a little under 3000' of elevation gain. I had a pretty aggressive power number in mind and I managed to hit it spot on. Super happy about that. I intend to go with the same number for IMAZ as best bike split has me finishing more quickly on the AZ course that I finished my RR today. https://www.strava.com/activities/423940728

My run also went well. I hit my intended pace numbers without issue and with a high z1 low z2 HR. The only question mark was some sharp ankle pain during the run. It didn't keep me from hitting my numbers today, but I wonder 1) where its coming from and 2) if it would keep me from increasing my pace after the first 6 miles. I'll keep an eye on it over this coming week and see what happens. https://www.strava.com/activities/423981415

And with that, this build is OVER! I can't believe how fast this came and went. Lots of work done across the group. Hopefully everyone else had a great day too.
  • Options
    Good job Clark!

My race rehearsal is also in the books.
    I did my swim Friday night after work-3800m in 1:30. That's the time I was planning on last year but ended up 1:36 with the current (doomed to forever being a rock)

Started bike at 0630 on Beeline at Shea. Made 4 loops down to McDowell and back (101 closed at 202 exit and traffic deterred onyo McClintock-ugly to even consider making full course loops), plus an extra half loop down to the road to dump and back. 104 mi in 6 hours. Goal is 6 hours race day, doable with elimination of all the slow downs for stops lights. Winds were pretty strong and shifted course, being northerly first two loops then southerly ( against me downhill) second half. Add 20-30' to goal time if winds strong.

My riding partner first half got a flat, and I saw one other flat all day. The shoulder was remarkably debris free today.

Drove home and ran 5.5 mi in one hour at my z1+30'. My hips and quads felt best ever, since I've made concerted effort to keep cadence up-85-90, which means small gear wheel in front on the trip up beeline to Shea. My only pain is this 4-5th metatarsal tendinitis from the bike shoe. It was much better as I've been focusing on flat pedal stroke. And it seemed to go away by mile 3.

Nutrition went well but I was starving when I finished!

Had two major equipment malfunctions-better now then race day: Garmin fell off my wrist, the part holding the band on disintegrated. I only use it in the bike for timing but need it for run. The battery isn't holding a charge and HR monitor not working so Back to REI Tomorrow. I'm hoping they will just let me pay the difference and upgrade to the 920. Second, the magnets holding my plastic face shield into aero helmet falling off. Didn't notice until today when down to one magnet and it wouldn't stay on. Magnets ordered

Taper time!
  • Options
    @Clark Mitchell -Good RR. I have played with Best Bike Split...kinda fun -with various tweaks (wind direction, FTP or TSS based) always gives me 20-30 min faster than what my RR times are like.
    1) I step off bike to pee (a lot LOL) = slowdown and start back up [however there is a bit of (+) with a little HR drop and leg/back stretch]
    2) probably a conditioning issue...but my HR starts to climb and RPE goes up a bit after 4.5 hrs and its a bit harder to be as steady with watts...not factored into BBS.
    3) BBS -even with my current weight seems to under estimate watts needed on the climbs somewhat....for a IMAZ-ish 1.3% section I was needing 220-230w to hold 16-18mph when my goal power is 185Np and BBS seems to think I can hold 18+ for the whole last climb w/o exceeding 220w for > 3min.
    4) Not sure If I trust the wind effects in BBS in as much as the RPE effects of grinding vs a steady 6-8mph (or worse) wind for the full Beeline. -My first RR had multiple loops into steady 8-10mph wind....keeping HR/Pwr steady meant 15-18mph one way and 22-25 the other -however it just didn't average out -ie the tail wind didn't make up for the headwind loss....

Anyway Ill be playing s-more with it...its fun to see it thinks I can bike a 5:20 at a IF of .78 However......RR Ride (on tired legs) 182W Weighted Avg Power, 328 Training Load, 73% Intensity. [PM read 190-200 most of ride...interesting] Pretty darn close regardless I'd say. I'm thinking it was my lack of "race prep" diet and additive fatigue/life stress that had my effort feel "too hard for race day".

• Options
    So this week had a lot of "life stuff"... got the RR ride in with some weather issues and time crunch. My RR swim got stopped after 12 min due to lightning.... Shoulder (labrum) actually pretty achy despite virtually no swimming this last few months...sucks. I 'know" I can swim the distance and the RR swim (in suit) I felt pace was "OK" at 1:45/100m with race goal of taking it EZ @ 1:50-2:00/100m......but still not confident.

MON/TUES OFF actually quite sore from SUN APFT...but work etc = no WKO

WED: https://www.strava.com/activities/422144694 BIKE: 1hr Z4with minimal WU and short RI's: 4x intervals (quite a bit in the low Z5 ish. AND "Thursday Long Run" https://www.strava.com/activities/422214024 Trails n washes +a couple hills 6mlZ1;2mlZ2,2mlZ3 ~9.25mls

THR: Attempt at 4K RR swim ...New "Tristrap" test and 2.4ml Race rehearsal in new wetsuit... Cut short by lightning

FRI: RR Ride (no pre-night diet etc...rushed oats for breakfast and go) https://www.strava.com/activities/423255721 muddy and ride felt 10-20% harder than should right from start...and HR about 8BPM above for effort right from start -even with quite cool temps....had to pee 7 times in first 3 hrs despite no caffeine in am or pre-hydrating the night before WFT 5:46 at goal pwer #s ...just felt a bit much to run a good marathon after.
    Post Ride Brick (only 4 mls due to time) https://www.strava.com/activities/423274903 Kinda 10:00 ish... felt OK
    SAT -OFF
    SUN -will try and get to pool....
    Yeh bring on the Taper!
  • Options
    Glad to see everyone getting those last RR's done... the taper is here!

reference the flat kit discussion- I figure I'm still racing thru 1 flat, if I get 2 flats I am no longer racing... I carry a minimal 1 tube 1 co2 kit....If I get that dreaded 2nd flat I can wait for SAG and finish more leisurely... Usually carry double everything when training and will even bring a tire on an epic type ride...

@Clark- nice work and thanks for leading us to taper

@Betsy- yep retirement is everything they say it is and more.... the most valuable thing on this planet is time... that said , I dont train any more than I did when working but I spend a lot more time recovering.... speaking of which my dog wants me to nap with her on the couch :-) Nice RR BTW!

@DH- nice RR on Pecan, friday was a crap day wasnt it? lots of debris on the road saturday! still a great place to train...

@TG - smoking 2nd loop on that run RR today... I figure your gonna have to run about a 3:25 or better to catch me and with that run it sure looks possible.... :-)

Week is done... very similar to last... 16hrs, 1174 TSS, 11k swim, 184 bike, 35 run..... friday was a RR swim as 7 x 600yds= 4200.... Saturday was 112/5hr bike and 4 mile brick....Today was 2hr/15 mile run.... Happy with pace/power/performance/nutrition across all three SBR RR's... Ready.... Now to get psyched up to race ! Tomorrow will be a nice easy recovery swim and massage! Will try and get my race plan up today or tomorrow.
  • Options

Hooray for Taper!

2.5 mile swim. Check. 6 hour ride. Check. 6.2 mile run. Check. Ahhhhh. Here we come IMAZ. Great to be part of the EN Team!

• Options
    @Tim, no 3:25 run for me this time. IM TX, possibly image. I haven't run this fast or strong in a long time. Very fatigued legs for some unknown reason last year at AZ, even with low IF on bike. This year, very little treadmill running. Lots of hills, some strength training, more longer runs and good amount of speed work. We shall see what AZ brings.