Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2015 IM Arizona Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

Welcome to the Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Its a bit early for this but I have signed for  for #5XIMAZ.
  • Options
    Yep its a long way off yet... If All goes well this will be #14 and #13 finished....Look forward to a very low key IM with only a short commute up from Tucson... Heather will be racing with me on her 5th IM and the 1st time either of us have done IMAZ...We spectated IMAZ 2014 and it looks fast and fun.... This will be my 3rd IM of the 2015 season but still an "A" race and hope to end the season with a KQ for the 2016 season.... Its easy to be brave with goals when they are so far away!
  • Options
    Im in for #4 IMAZ. My KQ year is 2016 when I age into the 60 yo age group. I hear the star of my local tri club is doing the race next year and she is now in my age group-so no chance for me in 2015. All I have is olympic races throughout the year so no endurance, only speed work, run durability and swim drills until 12 weeks out from the race!!
  • Options
    IMAZ #2 and this time without the added pursue of fundraising. I loved my first ever IM experience in Tempe in 2014 and now looking forward to doing this again!
  • Options

Coming off of a terrible DNF at IMTX this year ( actually DNFd it two years in a row), I decided to take my needs elsewhere. Did alot of research and decided on IMAZ. Looking forward to kicking butt.

• Options
    This will be #3 at IMAZ. Absolutely love this race, the area, and the people. If it wasn't for my family business I'd move there in a sec. This will be my first IM with EN so I'm really excited about that. I've had a rough year with a couple family members passing away. My training has been non existent for the past few months but I'm back on track now. I'm doing IM Miami 70.3 a few weeks prior as a warm up. It worked well for me 2 years ago. I'm excited to meet some fellow ENers. Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    Wow, this is an early start to the group! I haven't started training yet image

This is IM #14 for me. Did AZ last year and a bunch of years ago when it was in the spring. I'm still officially recovering from IM TX earlier this year and need to get started on the path to better fitness once again.
  • Options
    Week 3 of 20 LOL! ....Actually I'm on a Int/ADV Short Course plan for USAT Nats AG OLY on Aug 8.
    Will be taking a week to re-set and get into IM mode. I KNOW I will need to be rather loose with the training in AUG as SAUs are quite expensive and I'll need alot in the bank for the big bike weekends of OCT.

Known "issues"
    -didn't get the shoulder surgery for labral tear & impingement ....ha been problematic for speed/volume and duration of swims past about 1500m
    -will be starting new job with new hours etc in Sept
    -? moving to new house/need to renovate old house for sale SEP/OCT {major spouse stressor/time suck}
    -"OK" current fitness.... not at goal or at level post Vineman (July '14) partially due to reduced training volume/frequency ...IM will be "interesting" Am at about same level as last year coming out of Out-season FTP 220ish (goal was 240-250w FTP@ 18weeks out) and VDOT 42 with goal of being at 44-46 by this time
    -foot injury- mild discomfort ? stand up to IM volume?

PLAN:
    -Prioritize and maximize efficiency ....reeely must get am WKOs done when I know I will have pressure to cut out/back PM WKOs
    -AUG Strength training -will not blow off. Olympic/Plyo/multi-joint and BW calisthenics pre set plan with time crunched alternative WKOs
    -Drill focused swims +LSD long swims reduced focus on Pull/high elbow ( ....sad as my speed was really getting better with the 100's of last season but shoulder not tolerant of the powerful stroke.....I need to swim to finish not get under 1 hr. (still should do a 1:10 or so)
    -review last year and find the good/bad and apply corrections.
    -use AUG to try and drop 10lbs (Fat) OK if muscle weight gain for now) then shave as I can off from there ...not try during OCT.
    -Keep heavy Bike focus. need to drop most time there. Keep Run VOL by frequency...stop skipping all the short bricks! -do AM runs if need be.
    - do pre ride 1-2 loops this year for power/RPE/HR check
    -? HIM in SEP?? consider SAU cost.....
    -PLAN some 2-3 day SAU block OFF per month
    ***log WKOs in journal every night; post in EN every day!***

Looking Forward to IMAZ#2!
    Pre season goals "perfict world" is a <11hr 1:10S 5:30B 4:00R All doable but we'll see...these are my pre race doable #s for vineman and the bike was under-paced @ 6:15 and Run at 4:30 largely due to the >104 temp and over cautious approach by me.

• Options

Hi to all my fellow  2015 Arizona Ironmen!. 

NOBODY signed up to be race captain this year.  I was holding back as i was captain last year-this race is in my back yard and its my fourth IMAZ and I feel sorta like I own it.  So last chance for anybody who was thinking about it but holding back-otherwise its me!

One administrative detail I know that will be different this year.  Ironman quit having a welcome dinner and only a welcome ceremony on Friday night. So, team dinner will be friday instead of thursday-I think that will make it easier for more people to be at the dinner.  We can make the start time a little later to accommodate those who want to go to the welcome ceremony.

Hope everybody's summer has been great and full of quality training!

Bets

• Options
    Betsy,

I'm happy to do it if you don't want to, just let me know.

Clark
  • Options
    its week 7 of 20.....
    Are we going to see a weekly accountability thread?
    I definitely feed off the mojo from others and could use the added pressure image to get the work done.
  • Options
    In keeping with our Coaches' belief that we should stay out of the "I'm training for an Ironman" headspace for as long as possible, we usually don't see those threads until 12 weeks to go before the race.
  • Options
    David-yes there will be a thread. Clark Mitchell took on the role of team captain and should be starting them up soon, probably week 8 coinciding with most of us dropping into the plan then.

As for me, I've spent the summer in get fast plans and based on testing I haven't gotten faster at anything-boo! I did most of the work, including a week in Kona in June where I did all the wko's on portions of the IM course.

I did a swim test this am and exactly the same although I have really improved form a lot.
    Bike test essentially the same as well. Over did the VO2 so am considering repeating next week. And it's just too hot to run test in Scottsdale right now. And I've never tested on a treadmill. As for running, I'm more interested in durability on long run at my current Vdot than squeezing another point or two out of a test.

Let's gather the troops and begin the fun!
  • Options
    @ Al - I get it LOL.... I just finished AG NATs (OLY) and feel like I kinda am behind VS. "outseason" even though simular training focous. Have a sprint and maybe annother OLY for "Fun" so not yet hyperfocoused ...however need a bit of IM Volume as 100ml rides still seem "epic" despite last years Vineman trainup -just for confidence building I guess.
  • Options
    Yes, I'll be starting the weekly thread on week 9.

If anyone is lurking who has not introduced him or herself, please feel free to jump in and say Hi.

Clark
  • Options
    I'm on 5 in a row for IMAZ, like Betsy this is my backyard literally as i reside in Fountain Hills. No words of wisdom just preparing for what is dealt and will deal with it as it comes. hello to all
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

It seems I am always behind on this stuff, BUT I'll ask anyway. The IMAZ page references important dates one being 10/05/15 the last day to order team kits. There's also a link to click that looks like a portal to the store which is under construction. Did I miss something? Am I SOL for IMAZ?

Thanks for your response,

Dana
  • Options
    Dana - Did Brenda or anyone else reach out to you regarding your question? If not, I'll see what I can find out. I think you still have time to order and if not, I'm sure we can find you a loaner for the race.
  • Options
    Hi Clark,

Brenda did not however I reached out to Mariah and she informed me the EN store will NOT be up and running in time. I'm not sure I'd want to wear a loaner tri top as I know how gross my own stuff gets after racing. Not even visors are available to purchase!! Turns out I am leaning towards purchasing a new kit from SOAS racing so at least everyone won't be yelling "Go Tribe" which is my local club.

I'd be open to a loaner visor though, and I'd return it smelling pretty.

Thanks for your follow-up!

Dana
  • Options

Dana,

If you're just looking for a visor, you are welcome to use mine.  I got a team kit earlier in the season and I have plenty of other visors.  If you change your mind on the tri top, I recommend posting a request on the EN homepage thread.  Those are the posts that have the most visibility and I've seen loaner gear requests posted there before.

Clark

• Options
    I guess it is time for me to join... Hi, I am Dave. I am always a bit timid to join because I have signed up for about 2x as many IMs as I have started, usually due to my fragile body. I signed up for 2011 IMAZ but due to an unfortunate accident where I ran my bicycle into a bass boat I showed up in a sling. My Karma of travelling from St. Louis to cheer on the team resulted in a free lottery entry into St. George (some of you will remember 2012 St. George where the “Hurricane” struck just after we started the swim... That was the last year IMSG was a full 140.6. The next year it became a 70.3. I raced IMAZ 2012 and 2013. I was again signed up for 2014 but due to knee surgery (for which I am still in treatment) I was not able to race. I am holding my breath for this year… My wife and I will be there either way and I plan to cheer on the team either from the course or the sidelines.
  • Options

Hi Clark,

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on borrowing your visor.  Let me post something first to see if someone has an extra, that way you can wear yours :-).  Super nice to offer and look forward to meeting you in person!

Dana

• Options

Since I live locally, I'd like to offer my services as a local to anyone racing the IMAZ this year.  I am not racing, nowhere near ready for an IM, but I am volunteering at registration.  If there is something that I can do to support my fellow team mates, let me know.  Need a place to ship your bike, need something picked up, let me see if I can help you out.  I know racing out of town can be stressful and a local hand can be helpful.  I will be at the dinner and plan to watch the race.

I look forward to meeting all of you, 

G

• Options
    IMAZ athletes: XTERRA Wetsuits (one of our awesome sponsors) will be giving all EN athletes who stop by their tent a brand new mesh bag- make sure to take pics and show off your swag to the world!