Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

EN Year 1 Plan Execution Advice

Is there any advice you EN veterans have for executing the EN program?  Is there anything that you would have done different using the plan in the first year?  Is there anything a new member like me should remember in executing the EN program?  Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Trust the plan. Depending on what you are coming from, it might look light on paper. It isn't! Don't overachieve early or you'll pay for it later. Much to be learned here besides just the training plans. Took me til this past year (year 3) to really listen to all the race execution advice (beyond the basic pacing stuff), as I had kinda thought those little time saving tips didn't apply to me, a middle-of-the-packer. Ended up PRing by 1 hr 10 min! Participate in the forums, reach out when you need help. No better group of people around!
  • Options
    1. What Rachel said. Follow the plan. If it says go slow, go slow. If it says hit it hard, hit it hard.
    2. Use the team. Talk in the forums. Dont be afraid to ask questions, especially when you think they're "dumb." Odds are, most people have a very similar question. Also, get to know the team. Find some people that you'll be racing with, and start getting to know them better. Lots of good folks on the team.
    3. The math on time in some of the workouts doesn't quite add up. Sometimes the coaches will call for a warm-up, main set and cool down that adds up to a bit more time than what's written. The important part is the main set, with an adequate warm up and cool down for you. Dont fret too much if the "60 min" workout takes you 55 minutes or 105 minutes.
  • Options

@Charlie, I looked at two of your Triathlons, Austin 70.3 & IMCHO. You have plenty of ability even without EN training. You need to work on your transition speed. As far as the EN plan, if you follow the OS, you will get faster.  No way around it. The OS is not easy. This year, R n P have added run durability to the program. That does not make the OS plan easier. It does make racing faster. I did not see the power file from your races. EN racing is all about executing the fitness you build in the OS and then in the Ironman Build. If you have any questions, post them in the forums. The team is a great resource. There is no other place like this. If you want specific help, ask the coaches in the Micro or Macro. 

• Options

The amount of information floating around here can be intimidating, but is worth digesting, even if in small bites. EG, the first post in the following thread contains links to a number of pages and posts about how to approach the "OutSeason" - including several items specifically about your question, "What do vets say about using the EN program?". Looking through all of them is a good way to start the year:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/20254/Default.aspx

The other thing to keep in mind is that similar pages exist for race execution. The knowledge about how to race, especially Ironman, is the heart of the "EN Program". It's what sets us apart from other teams and training plans. Many people can come up with a perfectly good training plan. The continuous learning and sharing, enabled by the coaches, around race execution is our secret sauce. 

• Options
    trust the plan and come join us on strave to get alot of mojo from the team ! Strava can get really funny sometimes =)
  • Options
    That for that everyone. Much appreciated. This was exactly what I needed.
  • Options

Charlie,

A little late to the game.  As others have stated trust the plan and in particular resist the urge to do too much extra early on in the OS.  Get a season plan from Coach rich if you have not. 

Post in the OS forum to keep yourself accountable and work off the team mojo. 

OS specific

- earn you FTP / vdot or HR numbers.  Don't over reach one day to fail later in the week.  If it's consistently easy post and have a discussion you may retest or perhaps a bump is in order. 

- if you are using a power metre remember there are ranges and you don't always have to be hitting the top mark.

- similarly for running don't overcook it, the plan is about durability and consistency.

- utilize the transition out of the OS for a break then move in to the get fast plan or a race specific plan.

- EN has some great information on races and race execution get in to this at the tail end of the OS.