Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Tom's IM SG Race Rehearsal #1 - Black Cloud Gone!

Before reading on, promise you will never do as I do!

I've been slugging away at my Ironman Saint George training. My running has been going really well and I'm doing a lot of hill running. My swimming is getting better; nowhere near spectacular, but hopefully better than last year.  My weight is the lowest it's been in years, and I should be down to my goal weight of 10 pounds less than last year by race day. My biking has not been going so well.  Seemed to have left my mojo at the door sometime in October and I've been unable to find it. I've had a hard time hitting top end numbers and I've dragged on longer rides. The longest I've gone this year is somewhere around 80 miles.  Needless to say, I've been fairly stressed about this race rehearsal.  

No idea if I could bike the 112 or even what my power levels would end up at.  A couple of weeks ago I decided Thursday would be the day.  Wednesday evening I did all my prep with the bike and nutrition and laid out the running gear.  Weather had been good all week, but it was supposed to rain Wednesday evening and clear in the early morning. I woke up Thursday morning and it was still raining slightly.  I couldn't start until 8:00 and had to finish by 3:15. I had a good early breakfast of oatmeal, toast and peanut butter, and a latte then looked outside again.  Still raining.  At 7:45 I was stressing, trying to figure out a plan.  I could wait for a bit to see if it cleared, but then I'd probably have to cut either the bike or the run short.  I really wanted to see if I could do the bike.  I decided to set up the trainer in the garage, spin for an hour and re-assess.  I set up 5 bottles of Cytomax, 6 gels and started to pedal.  I figured an hour or so would be OK.  I hadn't been on the trainer for more than 90 minutes in a long, long time.  

An hour goes by and it's still raining, and kind of cold.  I decide that I'm doing OK, and keep pedaling.  I'll re-assess at three hours if I can make it that long.  At three hours, it's stopped raining, but it's still cold out.  I'm very wet with sweat and would need to stop and shower/dry off if I planned to bike outside.  I decide to try and slug it out on the trainer.  I'm still humming along and my watts are right on track.  Gear 1 for the first hour and then goal watts the rest of the way.

Believe it or not, I actually made it off the trainer and made it for the entire 112 miles.  A quick 6 mile run after changing and my day of racing was done.  I consumed 1 bottle of Cytomax (180 cal) per hour and one gel (100 cal.) on the bike.  For the run, just water and one gel. I haven't consumed that much fake food since my last IM.

I had a good dinner and retired early.  I didn't sleep that well as my legs were completely thrashed by that point.  Friday morning, my legs were getting back to normal.

I feel much better mentally having been able to complete the 112 mile ride and maintain watts throughout. The great black cloud over my head has cleared!

Next race rehearsal is outdoors for sure!

For my WKO data, I drew dotted lines at gear one, goal watts and the top end of the 4th gear.  I ended up with consistent pacing throughout, with the peak 20 minutes coming at the end.  FT of 280 and an IF of 0.7 gave me gears of 186/196/206/216.  This type of pacing is a whole easier to manage on a trainer!  

If I ever even think about a long trainer ride again, shoot me!

tom

Comments

• Options

Wow! Great job Tom. I've never broke 5 hrs on the trainer and thought I was crazy for doing 6 hours of 2.5 mi loops for my race rehearsal last Sat. It's an awesome confidence booster that we can "Get r dun" for race day, isn't it?

Lynne

• Options

Mental.Six.Pack! Nice work Tom.

• Options

Nice job, Tom. Way to ditch the black cloud vibes!

• Options

Like Matt said Mental Six Pack for sure. Good Luck on your next one.

• Options

Tom,

Black cloud lifted both figuratively and literally, right?  Well done.  You're probably the only one who is worried about your performance.

I for one know you'll be showing up at IMSG fit and ready to execute.  Looking forward to it.

Dave

• Options
    Nice job, Tom! Like everyone said, it's incredible that you were able to stay focused on the trainer for that long. You're running really well, improving a lot on the swim, and cycling well now too. I think we're looking forward to your IMSG race as much as you are! ; )
  • Options
    Wow, Tom! 112 miles on the trainer...and not a Computrainer either. Yeah, I know there's no "terrain" on a trainer, but it did take alot of mental focus to pace like you did. So happy the clouds have parted for you!
  • Options
    Tom - That is truly impressive! I've always heard that an hour on the trainer is worth like 2 on the road. So, your 6 hours is like...woah! What a workout. Just know on race day that your mind will get you through anything.
  • Options
    I'm speachless. That's waaaaaaay more mental power than I think I'd ever be able to muster. If you can do 6 hours on the drainer, you can do IMSG!
  • Options
    Wow Tom, if you can do 112 on the trainer, i'm sure anything IMSG throws at you will be no problem for you. Way to go!
  • Options
    well done brother!!!!
  • Options

I'm happy you got where you needed to go Tom--without going anywhere! I cannot even imagine....image Nice work and done!

• Options

Tom, wow, that is a heck of a long time on the trainer!  Most I have ever done is 4, hats off to you!!

• Options
    Tom - you really are made of iron. That is an incredible day. I am especially impressed given that yesterday I bagged my trainer ride :30 earlier than planned. You clearly have a much quieter and solid mind than I.

I'm glad this ride helped get your bike mojo back. Here's to nothing but sunshine for you on the bike for the next month +a couple of days. Just over a month to go, but I'd say you'd be ready to rock this race next week if you had to. Great work!
  • Options

Tom,

I've done one or two of those crazy long 6 hour trainer rides and they are not fun.  Good job getting the race rehersal done.

I have to ask was it the cold or the rain that you did not way to head out in?

Gordon

• Options

Tom,

Last fall, while preparing for IMAZ, I was forced to do several 3+ hr rides inside. BIG, BIG kudos to you for your indoor 112. That is some mental tenacity!!

You are on your way to SG!!! Best of luck.

• Options

For me it's the rain.  I'll ride outside when the temperature drops into the 40's, but not much lower.  Several years ago, when I lived in Germany, I would ride with snow on the ground, but now that I'm back in California, I've become a wimp again

The rain just chills me to the bone, and makes the roads slippery.  Nothing worse than having cars drive by to drop more water on you either.  I don't think I even have enough rain gear.  Jacket, but nothing else.  I'd be soaked in 2 minutes and be cursing for the entire 112 miles.

• Options
    112 on a trainer? Ouch. Nice work, Tom. That is real race readiness.
  • Options
    OK...Glynn...Who does that? 112 miles on a trainer? Did you stay aero most of the time?

Wow. That's really all anyone can say about that.

Vince
  • Options
    I'm curious what/if you were watching during that 6 hour trainer session. I typically watch TV while I ride, but I can't imagine what would keep me in the seat for 6 hours.....an entire season of Arrested Development? Lawrence of Arabia and Gone with the Wind back to back? I'm guessing if you were watching TV it wasn't Price is Right and Oprah.

Anyway, congrats.....awesome ride!

• Options
    @Vince. mostly aero. Every 15 minutes I'd sit up for 30 seconds for a drink. Every hour, I'd get 1 minute up. This was how I broke up the ride into manageable pieces. 15 minutes at a time.

@Eric. iPod and lots of deep thought. It's amazing how much of the world's problems get solved on the long rides and runs!