Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Wk 10 May 9 - May 15

Week 10-- Focus: Split Long Run 

Greeting EN Lake Placid athletes! I LOVED seeing your posts last week about your killer training…you're all RAMPING UP, burning a hole in Strava and posting some great stuff on social media!! Now that we have a laser focus on all things LP, lets keep that up! It’s FANTASTIC! Remember……  #EN4Keys

This year the coaches made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

• Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

• Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

• Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

• Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  

Remember…..your race day run should be:

Consistent 

• Smart

• Effective 

• Sustained Pace 

PACING:

No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  

Focus on sustainable pace. 

RECOVERY: 

Set yourself up like a rock star--- 

• Eat and Hydrate during your workout 

• Recovery Shake immediately after

• Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting. 

Recovery sets you up for the weekend volume rides 

****** You all are rocking the LP forum!! I’ve already heard from multiple people how much the feedback and daily training discussions are helping. You're building friendships that you will LOVE to have out there on race day. The more you know each other the more you might be able to help, and this is the beauty of EN. We are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ****** 

Admin check in:   Make sure you are following all social media for EN and Facebook!!! We have added the Events Pages for The Four Keys and THIS YEAR a BRAND NEW Sponsored Practice Swim at Mirror Lake! Check it out! 

Comments

• Options
    Anybody out there?? or are you all busy training too hard to write!!

Good start to the week. Legs still hurting from the biking this weekend, I am clearly overcooked on something!
    Swam 4000 early yesterday and feel great about having gotten a good start to my swim year!

did a suffering 3 mile run yesterday afternoon.
    Early this AM, perfect running weather, dry, mid 40s, short, tee shirt & light gloves! a little tough on the intervals, but nailed a 1/2 - 1 mile & 1/2 mile for 3 Z4 intervals... hitting the pool tonight!
  • Options
    Onto week 10! Decent start to the week here myself, I had to do my long 70 mile bike last Friday and found out the hard way why our dear coaches put a day in between the long run and that ride on the plan. Ouch! But after a swim day on Saturday the legs felt good for Sunday riding 45 miles and my 4.5 mi run commute today (@Scott: agreed, perfect day for it!)... I'm mixing things up on the plan this week too (and probably every week, let's face it). Since I'm coming back from tendonitis and only up to running ~18 weekly miles, I haven't tried this split run thing the kids are talking about these days yet. So, first one's on deck for Thursday (6 miles + 4 miles). Then this Sunday is a century ride I really want to do--it's pretty flat so hoping it doesn't throw things off too badly. Given the time it will take to complete the century it'll be a bit of a volume jump, but I figure with the lower run volume the stress should even out a bit...here's hoping. Hope everyone is having a great week, first one that feels really like Spring here in the northeast!
  • Options
    Hey Carole, I've been meaning to ask you- is that Somerville, MA or Somerville, NJ?

I'm plugging along! Good swim this morning despite the pool being, um, partially cloudy! Our YMCA really has an unusual (and unreasonable if you ask me) amount of trouble keeping the chemical balance in the pool under control. I don't know why- it just shouldn't be so hard! But there are days when your throat burns after a swim.

This weekend I'll be at the Kinetic Half/Sprint at Lake Anna, VA . If anyone else is gonna be there let me know so I know who I'm saying hi to on the course.
  • Options
    Whew, gotta say, backing up that 2x1 mile run last night with a 2x10' bike set this morning wasn't easy- but I got it done! How is everyone else doing?
  • Options
    I've had to revamp my entire week due to having to be on-call for after work tomorrow for 24 hrs and then work a 10-hour shift the next day. Doing Thursday's workout today and for me it seems pedestrian-like.
  • Options
    Jay- I can't imagine trying to juggle that kind of schedule!

I did the Kinetic Half Ironman on Saturday and the Sprint on Sunday as my "Bid Day" this past weekend (I'm a week ahead of you all). Paced well and figured out a few logistical and nutrition things I need to work on over the next few weeks. The weather was cold (low 50's) and that alone is a big mental challenge for me- so I'm really pleased with getting through the two days.

Today- I'm resting!!!
  • Options

Nemo, you are usually more than a week ahead of us!    Nice job on your wko's and keep up the GREAT work!

• Options
    plugging along here, some fatigue from WKOs & from sleep cycles being off are catching up w me.
    Took monday off from everything... just felt blah, passed out at 7PM!
    Tuesday 4500 yard swim at 5am! Ran 6 ? 7? that evening
    Wednesday, did 11' & 15' FTP intervals on the road/ bike path, followed by almost an hour of strong hill climbing... wiped though and did not get the run in... Tomorrow's gonna be rough, but aiming for a longer first run & an earlier in the day than planned 2nd run...
    getting back in gear here, final push before heading out to CO to do the Al Truscott Training camp in Aspen in 10 days