Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP 2016 Training June 29 - July 5

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Carole set your goal to do the best execution with the fitness you have been able to achieve. Be honest with yourself and you will be happy with the outcome of having done your best in the conditions (internal and external) of the day.
    Friday AM did a IM TT PR in sub 1:04. Then a quick transition to the bike.
    I did 115 miles and was worried about the incoming T-storms. I should have been worried about the heat and humidity. High 80's to low 90. As I approached mile 100, I was cooked. Bonked. Dehydrated. Headache and nausea. A little worried about getting home as the last 10 miles are a bit of admin(traffic and crazy beach tourist drivers). Did not do the brick run and concentrated on recovery. Hangover type head ache this AM and mentally not in a good(confident) place, so stayed in and did 2 hour trainer ride at .7 and 5 miles on treadmill with lots of fluids.
    Tomorrow I will try for another 112 and 40 min brick.
  • Options
    Hi Bob, We met at the IM Lake Placid camp and I just read your "I bonked" thread and immediately recalled my 100 mi bike from two weeks ago in Minn heat with index warning due to heat index near 100.  I kept stopping for water and ice at every 7-11 I could find and still crashed unable to even contemplate the brick run.  Thought as a skilled age grouper, you were immune to such experiences but nice to know I am in good company with others who suffer.  Course I know you will crush IMLP as you have done in the past.  Did last RR yesterday per the EN schedule but day off today to recover from a 10 hour effort.  I have two questions you should be able to answer.  (1) exactly how cold with the Mirror Lake temp be? based on the frigid training camp swim I have great concerns about being able to handle swimming 2.4 in really cold water and (2) how would you recommend handling nutrition on the bike? I have real concerns about maintaining nutrition on the bike due to all the climbing and descending where I see no safe time to feed and over half the ride spent either climbing or descending.  What say you Dr. Expert. 
  • Options
    @Rick The water will be fine. I get hypothermic easily and I am more worried the lake will be hot and they won't allow wetsuits. Only happened once I think and I was there. It sucked. The water usually is 70-72 so don't worry about that. As far as eating on the bike, parts of the climb out of town before the big descent is okay. After the left turn on 9 to Jay and the out and back to Ausable forks is good and the mile out and back on Haselton road is a must for getting in some serious calories before the 13 mile haul back to town. Even on the climbs, you can take some sips of GE.
    Enjoy the taper.