Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Week 18 IM Wisc, Almost there...

2»

Comments

• Options

@SS Thanks for posting, now I don't have to go look for all that information.  I'm a little saddened I had to add on emergency surgery at 6:00 am tomorrow, but at least I am not the one that has to get surgery.  I guess I will practice my fueuling then start the process right after.

One funny observation is on the TSS chart.  If you can do a 4:30 at 71% you have left a little too much on the table and could have gone faster.   One can only dream.  enjoy the weekend.  I will  try to post from my bed where I will be spending all the time I not on my bike. 

• Options
    Rain is forecast for tomorrow. 2nd Saturday in a row for rain - WTF! I no longer like my bike trainer - could be a long morning.....
  • Options

I am not sure words can describe the fatigue that today brought on.  At least day one is in the books.  Started too early with quick breakfast then 6 am surgery.  All went well for those wondering.  Made it to the pool as it is close to the hospital and knocked out the swim.  Took longer then it usually does to get warmed up.  Just under 1:27/100 YARDS in a SC pool.  Back to the house and onto the bike.

I managed near 5,800 feet of climbing but it took me every bit of 6 hours to do it.  Very frustrating dealing with traffic and lights as I felt like I couldn't get into a groove.  By the end of the ride we were at 91 degrees according to weather .com with way too much humidity.

Run was a death march self imposed by having to run too fast as my wife and I missed each other as she was going to bike near me as I ran.  Trying to catch her proved futile and in the end shelled my body and soul.  

I have eaten, hydrated and salted up for the next round.  I may drop down to 100 miles depending on how the weather is and how I feel.  For the St. Louis crew, i will be heading out clayton and probably doing a 25 mile out and back 2 times.  

Be safe and remember we paid to do this 

• Options
    I haven't posted anything lately because I have been too busy racking my brain trying to figure out how @SS gets any sleep. What a machine!!! Anyway, like most of you have been saying, I have been feeling very fatigued. I delayed my long run to Wednesday this week and I tried to get in 12-14, but could only muster 7.5. Hoping to make it through the weekend 's race rehearsal.

@Stl - looks like there's only a 20% chance of rain for this weekend
    @Chris - I know what you mean. I'm ready to throw my trainer off a cliff!

Good luck this weekend, everyone! The taper is almost here!

P.S. - Looking forward to Thursday night's dinner.
  • Options
    @SS - thanks for posting all that info!

@ Todd - solid effort man

Yep, raining here pretty much all day so I'm stuck on my trainer. Oh man is this going to suck!
  • Options
    @Chris @SS @ Todd @Kevin,
    Thanks for all your posts. I was glad that it only misted here yesterday afternoon. The temps were cool and i do much better with temps in the upper 60s and low 70s. I felt good throughout the day, sore today. I had been totally wiped all week and skipped three work outs, one swim, one bike, one run. So, my total volume isn't way up there and that probably helped me yesterday. My swim on Friday was exhausting. That is my weakest link I think. Fortunately, it will be wetsuit legal.

Gonna get a 4 hour ride in today, z1, taking it easy. I am tempted to run a little before to get my mileage up to 20 this week. I'm at 18. with a 12 mile run and 6 yesterday. Here are my stats from yesterday. Be sure to check out the picture for IMOO inspiration. Gotta watch for cows on the road in Wisconsin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691408989/overview
    https://www.strava.com/activities/691389413
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone here pushing out the major mojo to keep me going. I'm officiall cooked, dehydrated, mentally and physically spent, and weighed in after my post bike jog this morning at an all time adult low weight. This old guy just doesn't handle extreme physical workouts in high humidity. Drank over 240oz (SL, GE) yesterday in 5.5hrs with salt sticks and base salt, and started barfing it up. Still wasn't enough. (Yea, probably should have done the trainer inside SS style, but haven't graduated to that level yet). Engine is what it is now, it's time to stay the course the next 2 weeks and dial in the mental game. Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and it's been awesome to see how it's really supposed to be done and how you veteran's knocked it out of the park (EN style!).
  • Options
    RR#2 (really the only one since IMWI training weekend was a bit of a shit show!) was a bit of a fight.

Swim: 4388y in 1:16

good-decent pacing in a nice calm lake we love to swim in locally

bad-left shoulder gave me alot of trouble about half way through the swim....never had issues with my left shoulder before!

ugly-new Roka wetsuit gave me a nasty hickey on my neck and it got a bit worse

Bike: 108.4 miles in 6:01

good-legs felt pretty good, if and power were right where I expected and vi was better than last time I rode 100 in this park

bad-only 3000ft gain and slight tummy issue early in the bike despite a liquid dinner the night before

ugly-had to take shelter for 20' in a restroom in the park due to heavy dangerous thunderstorms. It rained hard for over an hour and it was rather unpleasant!

Run: 6 miles in 1:01:32

Good-the rain dumped temps and the clouds made for a pretty pleasant run

bad-mosquitos!

ugly-if its hot I won't have this nice run...at all!

I was so determined to get the full workout in, despite the bad weather. Glad I had new tires on my bike and that I took shelter as it got pretty dicey. I do know that while I had a good day, it was much cooler than it will be (most likely) and I will have to climb a lot more on the bike. It was a good confidence boost though, and I will be able to ride in the rain if it comes!

Sunday I slept in and joined lots of friends at the other local park where we train for a 56 mile ride. It was hot and muggy. I got stung by I don't know quite what, but my legs felt pretty good considering the RR the day before. I used my Recovery pump legs both days and love them! Glad to finally be in TAPER!