Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona, Wk 16

Team Kona,

Sorry I'm a little late getting this thread up for us!

Notes for you regarding this week:

• Would be super groovy if you could get in the cycling volume scheduled for this weekend, or a bit more if you have the time. Like I said, weeks 14-18 are very valuable, and "more is better" is definite thing for these weeks.
  • Brick runs are now very, very valuable as opportunities to dial in your HR, RPE, and pace baselines, in that order, for race day. And we should all probably begin to seek out heat for these runs as well. 
  • Swim: note that swims in the plan have begun to gravitate towards longer intervals and longer nearly-continuous swims. The swim will become increasing more important over the next few weeks, especially in the last two weeks of the plan.
  • Gear: if you're like me, you're may be thinking about adjusting your gearing, getting the small kit items you'll need for race day, etc.

Let us know how you're doing!

Comments

• Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 07 Sep 2016 10:09 AM

And we should all probably begin to seek out heat for these runs as well. ...

Great guidance at exactly the right time, Rich.  Thanks for keeping this rolling.   I've been having a debate in my mind about ^this^ for a while ... I get it that Kona is hot and someone should prepare for running in the hot to practice taking in big fluids, nutrition monitoring, and heat impact on HR RPE Pace and so forth.  But on the other hand, because I'm seeing these weeks as the primo time for achieving quantity and quality, I feel like running in the heat would undermine this, and getting out and slogging through a hot mess of weather would have me achieving maybe 85% of the quality that I could/should be realizing if I were to try to avoid the heat and running in cooler temps.   (this assumes that I'm waiting for arrival in Kona (and/or the 14 days immediately prerace) to seek out the heat adaptations in earnest and undergo the physiological parts of acclimatization.) 

(Not that I have much of a choice on this, though ... the humidex in Toronto for my LT and long runs will be 97 and 104 this week!)    

• Options
    I'm in North Carolina this week visiting my mother in law so I brought my bike and running shoes. So far I've gotten in 150 miles of biking and the heat is ramping back up after Hermine passed through on Friday. Today it was in the 90's on the bike ride with a real feel close to 100. Another ride and brick run scheduled for tomorrow. Going out now for an OWS with the local tri club. We should get our new Roka swim skins tomorrow so we're planning another OWS tomorrow as well.
  • Options

Last week I finished a modified run focused week on Thursday before dialing things down for the labor day weekend to spend some much needed time with the family.  This week is going according to plan and will culminate with a race on Saturday.  I’m doing with 106W triathlon at Lake Dillon which sits at about 10k feet.  It’s 70.3 distance and I plan to race it reasonably hard provided the conditions are good.  If I feel ok after the race then on Sunday I’m going to take advantage of riding in the mountains and will most likely do the copper triangle loop, but that again will depend upon how I feel when I wake up on Sunday.