Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Wheels for Kona (or the Wheel Deal)

Background: This is my first trip to IM Kona and my goal is to take it all in and finish the race. I've been riding bikes for over 50 years. I started racing bikes in high school in the 70's and I was a bicycle test rider for a year (dream job) where my main job was to see if I could break bikes in the field. I like climbing mountain passes just so I can fly down the other side. I practice bike handling skills pretty much daily in my commute and I consider my bike handling skills well above normal. 

I have a new Cervelo P3 that handles really well. I have a Flo 60 on the front and a DT Swiss 35 with a disc cover on the back (powertap hub). I usually put the disc cover on about 6 weeks out from my first race and then leave it on until my last race of the year. Since I've been running the Flo 60 I've noticed that the bike handles better with the disc cover on than with it off. 

The conundrum: Since I can't use the disc cover at Kona and since my rear wheel is my power meter, what should I use for wheels at Kona? Besides looking dorky, I don't want to run the Flo 60 without the disc in the back because of the poorer handling mentioned above. I've been hit with some pretty strong side gusts when going fast (bike speed 30+ mph with the disc on back) and have handled them OK but I must admit that it's given me a bit of an adrenaline boost, and not in a good way. Reading about the possible side winds at Kona through the gaps has me wondering about wheel selection. 

I have a front DT Swiss 35 wheel that matches the rear. I could use that or I could rent a set of wheels. Putting the 35 on the front would be the safest in terms of cross winds, not to mention the cheapest, but it certainly wouldn't be the most aerodynamic. I could rent a set of wheels, but I wouldn't be able to ride on them until I get to Kona. That feels a little risky to me given the potential winds and trying to get used to a new set of wheels. If I were to rent a set of wheels what should I rent? How deep should I go in terms of rim depth 404, 808 (assuming renting from Race Day Wheels)?  Do I run the Flo 60 on front and just rent a rear wheel with a powertap?

Are there other options that I'm not considering (other than buying a new wheel or power meter system and a new wheel)? Anyone out there have wheels that I could rent or borrow?

I guess this is truly a first world problem. 

Comments

• Options

I'll share my experience, but i'm sure you'll get more feedback from other with much more experience than me.  in 2014 I rode a Flo 60/90 combo and I got blown around pretty good.  However, by all accounts that was a windier year than most.  This year i'm planning to run a zipp 202 upfront and 808 in the back.  Yes, it's conservative, but i'm taking this approach because my plan is to stay aero at all costs and that's hard to do when you are hanging on for dear life.  Given your background I think you would be more than fine with a 404/808 combo.

• Options
    Hi Mark, your first sentence says "my goal is to take it all in and finish the race".
    Since that is the goal and it's already an expensive trip to the big island, why not just ride the 35's and be safer?
    How much time would you save vs going with the optimal/expensive rental setup? 5 minutes? maybe?
  • Options
    1. Go as big as you can in the rear.... As you know and stated , this helps stabilize the bike....I used a FLO 90...

2. I've run KONA with 3 different sized front wheels, 1st. a FLO 60 it was quite a handful (meaning downright scared for my life for 2-3 seconds 2-3 times when descending Hawi) 2nd. a FLO 30 and it was smooth sailing absolute night and day from the 60 I was very comfortable descending Hawi.... 3rd. a Hed jet +4 which measure 46 and had no issues with this wheel at all since it was a very "light wind" KONA year... IMO I would NOT run a 60 or larger, I would run a 404/Hed 4 type sized wheel , But, I would bring a back up 20/30 type wheel just incase "above average winds" were predicted the day of the race....
  • Options
    I think Tim nails it in his response.

If you're searching for a deep r wheel with a powertap, you may want to seek out racedaywheels (although they may have a different name now). They are onsite at the race and bring the wheels to set you up in the expo.

Finally, best practice is do some prep on the wheels you'll be racing with. Also be mindful that there could be a calibration difference between your regular powertap, and a rental wheel's. Rich wrote a good article/post on this a while back that's worth searching.
  • Options
    Like it's been said above I think the most important part is the larger rimmed rear wheel to stabilize the handling of the bike. For example I think you will get blown around less with a 404/808 type set up than a 404/404 set up. I'm going to ride 404/808 and when descending Hawi just stay clear of the rumble strip on the shoulder. Best of luck.
  • Options

Mark, Last October after talking to Tim C I ran a Flo 30 up front with an 808 rear and had no problems at all with the wind. On the Tuesday before the race I was doing a training ride by myself on the Queen K. I've never felt a wind like that in my life (11 mph out, 33 mph back)!! It was a headwind and gusting cross wind on the way out (opposite of usual) and while on the way out, comfortably in my aero bars I passed a guy about half my age with 808's front and rear sitting up who literally could not control his bike!! Best decision I ever made!

• Options

So I guess a lightweight (120) like me would be ill advised to use 404's????  Any input appreciated..it does freak me out to get blown around.  Thanks!

• Options
    @ Jennifer, Tim weighs about the same as you so I think you should go with what he says. I'm thinking about taking Don's advice and just using what I have. It's not going to be what the cool kids are doing, but I've never been one of those anyway.
  • Options
    Zipp 404 is almost 60 mm right ?

So jennifer, probably not good for you for the front. Right tim ?

So maybe a zipp 30 for the front. Not supper expensive.

• Options

Thanks Robin!  I think I've decided to bring my Kysrium wheels with the flat spokes...not an aero wheel per se, but I think I would have more control. Better safe than in a ditch!