Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman North Carolina [Retired]
Options

2016 IM NC Week 15- CAMP TIME!

Week 15- Camp Week/ Race Rehearsal
@ Julian- I am so happy to spread the good word and cheerlead for this awesome team!! How did last week end up going?? (No excuse- but it was back to school for me last week and I teach little ones....its kinda like herding hamsters the first week or 2 so needless to say I was TOTALLY drained by the end of each school day..haha) 
Ok IM North Carolina Crew- You have made it to WEEK 15! WOOHOO!! With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week.  ITS CAMP WEEK!!! Remember to pay extra attention to the Coach Notes in the plans.  They will give IMPORTANT information about this week. ALSO- Coach P did a great video about how to approach this week of training- check it out!, read more in depth in the forums on Race Rehearsal weekends.  I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Rich or Patrick, GET THOSE IN THE MICRO/MACRO forums NOW! Don't wait to ask them a questions on Friday night for Saturday morning!
Things to Remember:

Rest! Cumulative lack of recovery can impact race rehearsal - Can take a break Monday or Thursday if you need (If you're going to camp then this works out great as Thursday is your travel day)

Workouts that are focused and require the most dedication:

Good interval bike
Good Interval run

Think at the start of this week.

What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

Pacing

Get out there and JRA - 1 hour 1.5 then to steady pace

Fueling plan

Run - first three miles LRP plus 30” per mile. First three miles to settle in - mark the transition and take stock of how you feel

Keep on CRUSHIN’ it NC Team!!!

Comments

• Options

Hey Laura & Team,

I guess it's crunch time - that crucial month of training from here through Wk 18.  Work is destroying me right now (time-wise and stress-wise), but I do absolutely everything in my powers not to skip or skimp the long rides and runs in this 4-week block.  And with the kids returning to school, there's a lot more Lysol in the house and more enforcement of the hands-washing rules.  Stretch, get a massage (I already have 2 on the books), sleep and rest when you have to.

I had planned on running 50 miles last week.  But with work and temps back up into the mid-90s (plus extreme humidity), I was toast after Saturday's bike ride.  Like huddled on the couch from 12:30 to 2:30, then asleep until 5:00, then grumpy until 9:00, asleep again.  So, I chopped some of Sunday and only got in 45 miles.  But I skipped two swims.  So this week, I'm promising myself 10k+ of swimming, 40~ miles on the feet, and hopefully 10-12 hours of cycling.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Mike

• Options

Absolutely Mike! This really is the "big push". It's also the time when most accidents/crashes seem to happen. I don't know if it's because folks are run down and loose focus, or if equipment starts to fail, or some other reason. But it seems to me that if you are going to have an accident before your race- these next 4 weeks is when it's gonna happen. So stay alert, get that sleep, and double check the tires!

As for me. I can feel that right knee giving me warning signs. So I'm very hesitant to push the run and will be doing the base minimum to get me to race day. My "camp week" is a bit adjusted as well. Friday will be a 6 hour ride, but Saturday is gonna be the OBX Half Iron distance Tri. That's gonna really hurt, but if I can make it through it will be a big boost in confidence.
  • Options
    So this is where it really starts! Had a pretty good week last week. 2 long rides and some running. Didn't hit my running goals but was close. Biking is my weakest discipline so I try not to skip those workouts but the heat really wears me out. Really struggled on Sunday's long ride and took Monday as a rest day. I can certainly relate to Mike's post ride experience. Swimming always gets the short end of the stick but I can deal with that.

#Nemo - thanks for the reminder about safety. I always ride with a group and try to stay lit up like a Christmas Tree, even in daylight. I like to be seen out there. Hope your knee heals and you're able to continue working up to this race.

#Mike - the work thing is getting the best of me also. I'll just keep following you on Strava and try to keep up as best I can. Hope the heat breaks soon.

Y'all stay in touch. We need some mojo for the next few weeks.
  • Options
    European travel for work this week so running and swimming time but no bike time until Saturday.

Laura - half marathon went well PRed at 1:56 happy with that. Everything else on track, will miss bike time this week but I am not flying around the world with a bike and trainer!

Stay safe all