Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman North Carolina [Retired]
Options

2016 IM NC Week 16- Recover and Reflect

Week 16 Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!
Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? Congrats Julian on your PR!!!  I loved reading about your plans and seeing some more posts in the forum!! KEEP IT UP!!!So this week has a few pretty important notes.

Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have another 4200 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine effect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that effect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50
                         25 meter pool site 1x per 25
                         OWS use judgement  
Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water
** Alternative **
You COULD just do this--- Train like you Race

Keep crushing it North Carolina Crew!!!!-- so proud of you all

Comments

• Options
    I got good and beat up this weekend! 65 windy solo miles on Saturday followed by the OBX Half on Sunday which was windy and hot! I took Sunday as an intentional rest day and they Monday ended up a rest day too because of T-storms in the area that closed our pool. Hoping to get a swim in this afternoon (no T-storms please!) and will get my run done at lunch.

How is everyone doing?
  • Options

Hi Team,

Hope everyone is doing well.  I had a pretty good week last week.  Didn't get in the 10-12 hours of biking that I posted as a goal here last week, but I got 9.5.  All in an aero tuck on the trainer - if nothing else, great training for the neck, lower back and undercarriage.  Got in 40 miles of running.  Managed to get to the pool five times, but my swimming is still pretty suspect.  I was still a bit shelled this morning, so my 2x20's on the bike ended up being 60' of spin, followed by an EZ 5k brick run.  Like Nemo, will try to hit the pool tonight if the weather holds.

I like to view Week 16 as: I have 2 weeks to top off the run tanks, 3 weeks to build up the bike endurance, and a month to fix my swim.  

• Options
    Decent week for me this past week. Very busy at work and I took Monday off for some needed rest and then felt like I was behind all week. Only one swim but times seem to be ok so not too worried. I was a little light on the running but still able to do 4 runs. Finished with 8.5 hours on the bike including 80 miles on Sunday. Expect this will be a similar week.

I'm dragging a little mentally with work and training and finding it difficult to get in long rides. The next 2 weeks will probably see more 2 hour trainer rides and fewer long rides outdoors. At this point I think I just need to keep up with the time in the saddle.

Glad to see y'all are staying motivated. Keep up the good work!
  • Options

Hi all.  Thought I would touch in.  It's nice to hear how everyone's training is going. Camp week went really well, and I came out of it feeling for the first time like I'm physically capable of a sub-17 IM. I got 100.5 mile in 6 hours.  Rode 57 the following day. Post ride brick runs both days were slow and solid. The following day I ran 3 hours, kept it slow, and got in a very solid 16 miles. I stumbled upon a 10 K during my run and "bandited" it.  It was mostly during my first 6 miles.  Man it was tough keeping my AHR below 138 with people passing me left and right.  But, two weeks ago I followed the EN advice, started really slow and then kept speeding up.  That made for a very solid finish to my HIM.

I'm trying to get some more running in here towards the end-and training myself to keep it really slow-That's going to mean adding time to what's recommended, but I think I need the training in running like a turtle. I'm getting the feeling that's going to be the ticket to success at IMNC. Looking forward to meeting everyone down in NC.

• Options
    "It's the thought that counts." Y'all remember that? We've heard it all our lives, but is it true? I vote yes! It is the thought that counts. Therefore, I'm doing a short easy ride tomorrow morning with friends and then leaving for a golf trip in Wisconsin. I know, not the best timing, but an opportunity I couldn't refuse. I will take my running things and run every chance I get. Hopefully when I return I'll be refreshed and ready for a final push.

Until then I will think about training and IMNC because, after all, "It's the thought that counts!" Have a great weekend!