Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Week 18- THE LINE!

#EN4Keys
/ THE LINE WEEK 18
Love this group and how much you are supporting each other....its awesome!!! Remember to listen to your body and do what you can....you are ALMOST there!! BE SMART!!!!  Prepare your mental game. In so doing, remember there will be cumulative fatigue building throughout race day.  So important to follow your plan, race your race and prepare for THE LINE.  
EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you.

A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.

If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferably not attempted for the first time on race day!).

Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).

Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!

Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

**ADMIN ALERT**
* TEAM DINNER: There will not be an official team dinner. HOWEVER- I have a spreadsheet that is easy to use if someone wants to volunteer to be the ON SITE person. Let me know and I will message it to you!!! IF not, I encourage you to use GroupMe which will begin on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of race week to try and get together on Thursday night!

*** If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You're almost their rock star EN'rs can't wait to watch you unleash on the Louisville course**

Comments

• Options
    The line, whut????? You know I am copying and pasting these little nuggets, like "EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you." ) into my race plan.

I have a wicked cold that I am trying to shake, but as I write this at 12:03 am, I am chief of the watch with my 11th grade daughter who is struggling over some pretty intense history homework.

I have to rearrange my RR to Thursday and Friday due to a bridal shower on Saturday and a memorial run for a friend who was killed while training for AGNationals while riding her bike. This IM in part, is for her, as her 5 year plan was to complete an IM by 2017. She will be my angel on race day, and she in part is my why. The other part of my why is to be able to train as I have, to have the backing of my family, friends and teammates, whom I've not yet met, to carpe diem for all of those whose dreams and goals that have been extinguished, and to show my teenage daughters that they can achieve hard stuff with patience, hard work and discipline. <3
  • Options
    That is disappointing about the team dinner. I was looking forward to an opportunity to meet a bunch of folks. Anyone familiar with the area that could suggest a good place to have an "un-official" meal?
  • Options
    Kyle.. We'll set something up for the people that want to get together. I looked at the EN team list... There are a lot of people doing the race.
  • Options
    I've never been to Louisville... So take this for what it's worth. I did a quick search of restaurants in the area and a couple popped out as maybe being OK for team dinner. Harvest or Milkwood?? Second choice looks like a few dollars more. I defer to anyone who has more info.

@Laura... I wouldn't mind making reservations if that's what you need.
  • Options
    My Line. When I get to that point, the following is what will keep my going. It is what has motivated me every day during this long training season. I share not for contributions but because we are a team. I have cut and paste a couple things but below is a copy of messages that have gone out to friends/families and supporters of our foundation.

October 8, 2016 is the date of my oldest sons 21st birthday. What should be a day of celebration will only be met with sadness. The reality is that my son will be forever 13. We lost him to cancer 7 years ago right before his 14th birthday.

For those who knew Matt, his smile would light up a room. He was both a great athlete and scholar. He was intense but also kind. As most children do, he fought his battle with cancer with such courage. His answer to all medical professionals was always “I’m fine”.
    While he will not physically be with me on his birthday, he will be with me in spirit. And on October 9, I will be participating in Ironman Kentucky and I know he will be with me every step I take.

I will be participating in this Ironman not only to honor and celebrate Matt, but to honor and celebrate so many who have fought and won as well as fought and lost their battle with cancer.

My goal is to dedicate every mile that day to someone who has struggled with Cancer. An Ironman has 140.6 Miles!
    I will:

Swim 2.4 miles
    Bike 112 miles
    Run 26.2 miles

My other goal is to raise $500 per mile. That is the amount that we provide in grants per child through the 12 Oaks Foundation to kids in families struggling with cancer. This goal amount will still not cover all the kids we will help in 2016, and the need is growing.
    My first 1.4 and my last 1.2 miles will be run in honor of Matt. The other 139 is where I need help.

Will you sponsor a mile (or Miles) for a loved one (or yourself if you have battled cancer)? Your fundraising goal per mile would be: $250

If you prefer to provide a general donation towards our goal, Please donate under the Julie Hupp- Iron Journey page.
    https://twelve-oaks-foundation-ironman.everydayhero.com/us/my-iron-journey#/?_k=h96j2o
    These dollars will go towards our Team goal of raising $500 per mile total.

The mission of 12 Oaks Foundation is: Our mission is to provide a resource that will help defray the cost of sports and community programs for children of families suffering financial hardship related to cancer treatment. Working with local organizations, the 12 Oaks Foundation will provide grants to families in need so their kids won’t have to miss some of the best parts of childhood.

• Options
    Here we go into week 18! I survived week 17 and my knee is much better after a visit to a bike fitter. Moving today's long run to tomorrow since I had a few meetings this morning. The Advanced plan has some crazy volume Friday to Sunday....never had to do this before with the previous plans.

I'm in for a meet up as well either for Friday lunch or possibly Saturday Breakfast. I have a few friends from atlanta that are also racing so I might be tied up Friday depending on what the wife wants to do. We should set up a groupme text chain at least to communicate over the weekend. We are staying at the marriot for the weekend if anyone else is staying there.
  • Options

I might be game for meeting up for breakfast on Saturday (pending the wifey's buy-in). There's a good possibility I'll be tied up for any dinners, since we have friends that are also doing the race.

• Options

Julie,

Thank you for sharing Matt's story - I will definitely sponsor miles for you. Wrapping you in one great big EN hug!

Beth

• Options
    We are staying across the river in IN at the Hawthorne Suites. Would love to meet up, but am unsure as I will have husband, kids, and support team.
  • Options

Steve,

YAY for the knee!!!! That is great news! Keep us posted on how the run goes. I am moving my run to Sunday. 

• Options

Ed, where is the 2016 sheet? The link I followed is for '15. Thank you!

• Options
    Don't think that one has been created yet
  • Options
    The line for me is very blurry. I know it's mile 18 but I'm not sure how I'm going to get there. I've been unable to run for the last four weeks due to a hamstring strain. Yesterday I did an 80 min open water swim then ran two miles to test it out. I had no pain so now hopefully I can start building some run time till race day. I was able to bike pain free so I added quite a bit of extra biking so I'm hoping it will translate to maintaining some run fitness.
  • Options
    Read the athlete guide - IMLOU= ninja execution in only 16 hours - so does that mean 11pm or midnight?
    I am trying not to freak out. That is all, thank you. *grimace*
  • Options
    @ elizabeth

The race doesnt start until 730 and it will take up to 45 minutes for all swimmers to start. So if you start at 730, you would need to be done by 1130. if you start at 815, you will have until 1215. That gives everyone the same 16 hours.

That is my interpretation and the folks I have talked to.
  • Options
    Me +1 is in for dinner Thursday. @Ed, any place is fine by me.
  • Options

Hi there,

Just joined and will be doing IMLOU with you all. I don't have a kit, but I am starting to get the knowledge. Following the threads. Add me to the unofficial team dinner if you have one. I can give someone my info if you'd like to contact me.

Looking forward to a great week!

• Options

Today's run felt harder than last weeks 18 miler!?  I managed to get 14 miles in just shy of 2 hours but I noticed my heart rate averaged 158 compared to 142 average on the 18 miler.  I guess the easy 6 miles really kept my HR in check last week.  

If we can't get everyone together for a meal over race weekend, maybe we plan a meet up on the great lawn near transition for a group pic Friday or Saturday?  

• Options
    Hey Team!

Just wanted to share that there is a Y of Greater Louisville - http://www.ymcalouisville.org/clark-county/schedules.html - and they do have some pretty good open swim times. I am not a Y member so I am going to call them to find out if they offer a day pass. I would love to do the Saturday swim in the river, but have heard of people getting sick, etc., and don't want to jinx anything.

Depending on everyone's training plan, maybe we can get a group together for a swim?
  • Options
    last RR today for IMLOU, and it did not go well. Just got over being sick, it was incredibly hot, and I stoopidly brought no salt. Made it to 5:37 and then turned for home. Took a little break, took some salt and headed out to run, which all things considering went ok. Going to reboot for tomorrow's 56er and hope for smoother sailing. Note to self: BRING SALT TABS!
  • Options
    Made it through today's RR ... probably the toughest single-day non-race workout I've ever done. Swim felt good ... did 2.5 miles in full wetsuit.

The bike wasn't ideal ... I spiked the watts too much on climbs, and went way over planned watts from miles 45-55 - I just felt good and just kept pushing without watching HR or power ... paid for it with a rough patch from miles 85-95. Key figures from the ride:
    -- TSS was 279.4. I'll take that on race day
    -- VI was 1.05. That's too high for a good run split
    -- Calories consumed: 2510 (1350 liquids, 460 solids, 700 gels). 456 calories/hour
    -- Salt consumed: 6 caps, probably should have taken in more given how hot it was (88 degrees)
    -- Total fluids: 12 bottles total (about 22 oz. each); no cramping or GI issues

The run wasn't so good. My legs were tight and I couldn't get loose. Not totally certain if it's due to spiking the bike watts or to cumulative fatigue from the week. Ran right at planned HR but speed was slower than previous runs. Took in 280 calories but felt thirsty the entire time.

Overall though, it was a successful day! Hopefully tomorrow goes well. :-)
  • Options

Hey Rob!

Welcome to the IMLOU crew!

Cheers,

Beth

• Options
    @julie - we are close in bib numbers! YAY! A familiar face in the craziness of transition. image
  • Options

Posted By Elizabeth Hornak on 23 Sep 2016 07:14 PM

Hey Rob!

Welcome to the IMLOU crew!

Cheers,

Beth

Hi Beth! 

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to IMLOU.

Believe it or not, but I was actually born in Rochester, NY. Spent my early years there until 5th grade. I was there a couple months ago visiting some family. 

Small world.