Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Training Wk 10/10 - 10/17

2»

Comments

• Options
    @BK, sounds like a great day all the way around. I agree that hydration issues could be at the root of your elevated heart rate. I've experienced the same.

Day 2 went well for me. I got a late start, but I got out there. I did 111 in 5:28 (moving time) which works out to AP 175, NP 179, VI 1.023, IF .68 and TSS 252. What's interesting is that this round was faster than day 1 and on fewer watts (179 vs 190). My execution was slightly better but I think the real difference was probably the weather. Regardless, I felt pretty good and am happy with the way it worked out.

The run after was fine: 30 min at LRP heart rate. Nothing special, just getting it done.

I didn't sleep well Saturday night and I found myself awake, again, at about 5:45, so I said f' it and got up to do my Sunday run. It took a while for everything to shake out but in the end I was able to get where I wanted to be. My splits were pretty consistent in their decrease and my HR was pretty consistent in its increase. In the end I got in 15 miles in 2:00:30, so I'll call that a win.

Now I'm off to nap on the couch.

Hopefully everyone else had a great and productive camp experience.
  • Options
    Solid efforts folks. You are looking lean, mean, and consistent.

Thurs/Fri turned into slugfest are work, forced days off unfortunately. Big storm this weekend, had to be indoors. Saturday swam 3600 in 67 minutes for a 1:47/100yd before getting kicked out of the Y for swim lessons. I'll take it. Confident 4400 would have been very doable. Doubt I have lost much from IMC in that area. Attempted to ride IMAZ course (file from BBS) in Zwift. Still learning the system, but it definitely resulted in an overcooked ride. Zwift says I rode 56 miles in 2:48. TP says it was a IF of 0.76. These numbers are all over the place, I think because Zwift has been manipulating my FTP based on my interval rides as well as Zwift's corse profile which changes the speed a lot. Either way, my legs were cooked. This ride punched a hole in my confidence. No run as I had to rescue kids from babysitter.

Today loaded up Trainer Road Longfellow. 4hrs, 94ish trainer miles, IF of 0.66, and legs felt supremely better. Confidence returned. Then pulled out brick 6.5 miles @ TRP in 51:54 on the mill.

Legs in the ludicrously luxurious normatecs, a dram of Lagavulin in my cup, watching a typhoon role across my lawn, thinking about the dirt, cactus, and friends to come.
  • Options
    Just did a quick 4X3'(2') post week end at the cottage with wife.. feels fresh, thats good news meaning I can do the full prescribed week 16 without opting out the optional trainings.. that's the best part of doing the camp at the beginning of the work, I'll probably do the same for week 18 as I still have 22 vacations day to take before Dec 31.

@CM - You are one of a hell strong cyclist !!!! watched your work this week end and it was very strong !

@DS - dont get discourage, you know the game and already have done the distance this year.. seems the weather and life throw you curbed ball since a few weeks.. keep it up!

How was camp week for the others ?
  • Options
    Great to see everyone getting it done.  

I've been riding the couch and after two days, my legs feel completely rested.

@DR &FP I don't speak any French, but did see Goodyear in the convo and ran it through Google Translate.  I live in Goodyear too so let me know how I can help you guys out.

• Options
    @GL - hopefully you're feeling better, we're all pulling for you!

After my early run on Sunday I spent most of the rest of the day sitting or lying down. In spite of (or perhaps because of) all of the camp work, the cold I had been holding off finally developed and settled into my head and chest. Yuck. I tossed and turned last night until I finally gave in and took some advil cold and sinus, which knocked me right out.

Today I'm dragging ass in a huge way. Hopefully I'll feel better by tonight or tomorrow morning, but if not, I'm going to take another rest day. I'm very happy with the way my camp weekend turned out so I'm not going to risk consolidating those gains by trying to rush back into plan.

Hard to believe it's already week 16! Just about a month away now. Rest up and start again strong.
  • Options

Wow...you guys are killing it.  So much hard work being done.  Well done.

I had a good weekend.  On Saturday I rode for 3 hours at 202NP (.76 IF), 194 avg watts.  This included 10 x 3' at 250-270 watt range.  Then ran 3 at 9:05 pace and swam for 45 minutes.  Legs felt good.  Then had a hot date Saturday night  with a new lady friend. Yeah!  Yesterday I rode relatively EZ 3.5 hours on the Computrainer as it was raining.  Averaged 170 watts (.64 IF) but included 6 x 2' at 325 watts to remind the legs what it feels like to really push it.  Then ran 2 miles after the ride.  My running legs finally felt like they had some spring back in them exactly 21 days after IMCHOO.  Now I get to join all of you with two weeks of hard IM training then taper time.   Have a good week and stay healthy.

• Options
    @GL-hope you at feeling better!! Missed you last weekend

@CM-take care of yourself! REST! I know this will sound whoohoo, but liquid silver (you can get at vitamin places-while foods, vit shop) is natural antimicrobial. I swigged mine 2x daily last weekend when I got my cold. The only other Thing I needed was afrin for a few nights. Great job on RR

@BT-you are amazing! I can't imagine working that hard so soon after an IM. Glad you will be joining us the next few weeks

My camp weekend ended today.

Day 2(yesterday) 76 mi on beeline. My IF was more like .66-68. I started in the dark at 0515 and I'm over that! 2 mi into ride I ran into an entire tire tread laying across the shoulder. Couldn't avert the fall-and it was a hard one. Along with the usual road rash on left forearm, bruise/rash on left hip, I hit my left chest and have a mild contusion on ribs under left breast. Didn't stop my day but took the steam out. I rode slowly down to the light at Gilbert road (7 mi) then got a call from my son, aviation mechanic in navy on the USS Ronald Reagan-they had made port in Buson South Korea-cheerfully talked until sunrise.
    Finished 3 loops. Even though I didn't ride as hard as day before, I payed strict attention to hydration and fueling, Have my plan. And I discovered my fueling bar-RX bar (made in Chicago BT)- dates, cacao, egg whites (12g protein)and a few nuts. I never have straight carbs until I start drinking coke on the run. HR was stable. Came home and did 30'run-I was amazed I had to work at slowing down to my LRP+30". I could feel my chest with every breath but it didn't slow me down

2hour run today:
    Hour one-stoopid LSP to keep HR controlled at 125. 2nd hour, let HR rise to starting rate low 140s-3 mi at LSP+30, then 2mi@LSP-HR 145, last mile z2-HR150. Chest hurt first hour but then didn't notice it much 2nd hour.

HRV test this am said good to train. If it says so tomorrow will definitely do the swim. I've done lots of active recovery -massage yesterday (really worked on shoulders that were spasmed). Today, chiropractor (she said my neck was all torqued) and I got cupped!! I swear I could take a deep breath after all that-not be stopped by the pain from the contusion.

Something I found myself thinking about race week when you all get here:
    No riding from IM village to the beeline. TOO DANGEROUS! And plenty of people will do it. People also used to drive to beeline and McDowell(south end of beeline part of course) and park at gas station and ride. Well, the gas station is closed and no parking. Best bet is to drive-the roads to beeline (flat grid, nothing special) then drive up the beeline to shea (north end) turn left and first right to park in strip mall. You only really need to ride from shea at most 7 mi to stop light at Gilbert road, turn back and go back up. That's the part with the incline/decline. Good to experience how you will spin out the first mile down and how much effort going back up. I like to keep my cadence high so use small wheel in front going up.
    Cannot believe it's week 16!!
  • Options
    @GL-hope you at feeling better!! Missed you last weekend

@CM-take care of yourself! REST! I know this will sound whoohoo, but liquid silver (you can get at vitamin places-while foods, vit shop) is natural antimicrobial. I swigged mine 2x daily last weekend when I got my cold. The only other Thing I needed was afrin for a few nights. Great job on RR

@BT-you are amazing! I can't imagine working that hard so soon after an IM. Glad you will be joining us the next few weeks

My camp weekend ended today.

Day 2(yesterday) 76 mi on beeline. My IF was more like .66-68. I started in the dark at 0515 and I'm over that! 2 mi into ride I ran into an entire tire tread laying across the shoulder. Couldn't avert the fall-and it was a hard one. Along with the usual road rash on left forearm, bruise/rash on left hip, I hit my left chest and have a mild contusion on ribs under left breast. Didn't stop my day but took the steam out. I rode slowly down to the light at Gilbert road (7 mi) then got a call from my son, aviation mechanic in navy on the USS Ronald Reagan-they had made port in Buson South Korea-cheerfully talked until sunrise.
    Finished 3 loops. Even though I didn't ride as hard as day before, I payed strict attention to hydration and fueling, Have my plan. And I discovered my fueling bar-RX bar (made in Chicago BT)- dates, cacao, egg whites (12g protein)and a few nuts. I never have straight carbs until I start drinking coke on the run. HR was stable. Came home and did 30'run-I was amazed I had to work at slowing down to my LRP+30". I could feel my chest with every breath but it didn't slow me down

2hour run today:
    Hour one-stoopid LSP to keep HR controlled at 125. 2nd hour, let HR rise to starting rate low 140s-3 mi at LSP+30, then 2mi@LSP-HR 145, last mile z2-HR150. Chest hurt first hour but then didn't notice it much 2nd hour.

HRV test this am said good to train. If it says so tomorrow will definitely do the swim. I've done lots of active recovery -massage yesterday (really worked on shoulders that were spasmed). Today, chiropractor (she said my neck was all torqued) and I got cupped!! I swear I could take a deep breath after all that-not be stopped by the pain from the contusion.

Something I found myself thinking about race week when you all get here:
    No riding from IM village to the beeline. TOO DANGEROUS! And plenty of people will do it. People also used to drive to beeline and McDowell(south end of beeline part of course) and park at gas station and ride. Well, the gas station is closed and no parking. Best bet is to drive-the roads to beeline (flat grid, nothing special) then drive up the beeline to shea (north end) turn left and first right to park in strip mall. You only really need to ride from shea at most 7 mi to stop light at Gilbert road, turn back and go back up. That's the part with the incline/decline. Good to experience how you will spin out the first mile down and how much effort going back up. I like to keep my cadence high so use small wheel in front going up.
    Cannot believe it's week 16!!
  • Options
    Missed a few:

@FP-60' IM swim-FAST. Only in my dreams or another incarnation. I am doomed to being a Rock in this lifetimeimage:

@DS-enjoy the islands!

@DR-great inspiration
  • Options
    Wow Betsy: so sorry to hear about the crash!!! Hope you are doing better.
  • Options
    Looks like the accumulated stress is starting to manifest itself in colds and sickness. Make sure to take time out for rest/recovery.

@Betsy, hope you are doing OK, you are racking up some road rash lately. I really wish I was out there with you.
    @DS, sounds like you are going to have a nice vacay away from the Tropical Storms.

Praying that I get out of exercise jail tomorrow in time to do some riding this weekend. Only a few weeks left and I'm nervous/excited to race but glad I'm doing it with all of your support/knowledge.
  • Options
    Shoot Betsy, I completely missed that you crashed. I hope you (and your bike) are both OK. That stinks. Get better soon.