Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

RR2 IMSG

Completed RR 2 for IM St. George on Saturday and everything went well except that I continue to run too fast.  My LRP is 9:22 so should be hitting 9:52 for the first 6 miles (or in the case of the RR the entire run).  I tried to run really slow and even walked to slow down, but still ran too fast.

Pace

NGP from WKO

Terrain

9:27

8:48

Uphill

9:18

9:29

½ Uphill

8:39

9:16

Downhill

9:39

8:59

Downhill

9:45

8:26

½ Uphill

9:34

10:05

Downhill

Should I be walking even more to insure I go slow enough for the first 6 miles?

Comments

• Options
    Mark- you are not alone!! This is probably one of the hardest parts to the execution plan to nail- and it will be even more so on race day! IIRC, the first mile or so of the run at IMSG is gonna be uphill, right (not big, but up)? That might actually be a huge help for you in getting yourself to control the run. ALL I can say is watch that Garmin like a hawk and do not go faster than your plan. Walk the aid stations to get the overall pace/mile down into range- but don't count on that to keep yourself in control. If you think about it- you know you CAN run that slow, you just gotta control yourself and make it happen.

I'd actually suggest taking a few of your remaining runs during the taper to practice that 9:50 pace. Really feel the pace, memorize it, internalize it, imagine you are at Mile 1 of the marathon and super excited- feeling great, but control yourself to go "that slow".
  • Options
    Oh- and congrats on a second well executed Race Sim!! Good luck going into IMSG and stay safe & healthy!! The hay is in the barn!!!
  • Options

A good way to get into the mindset needed for the slower pace coming out of T2, is to start in T2. Remember Coach Rich's mantra, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Ease up right off the bike, walk, don't run to your bag, make sure your breathing slows down, take some time to get in salt tabs, sun screen, water, even a port-potty break. If you're feeling rushed in T2, that's a sign to back off mentally, to get ready for the run pace you want. Run through your mental check list: hat, race belt, whatever else you are taking. Be prepared for the shouts of the crowd and volunteers as you exit. Think about smiling, waving, anything except running. Then look up at the sky, around at everyone else, take a few deep breaths, and JOG outta there. Getting your head into going slower starts there in the change tent.

If you have to, get on a treadmill, and set it at your 10 min/mile pace (6.1 mph?), just to prove to yourself that you DON'T have to walk to go that slow.

• Options
    Good advice... thanks Al and Nemo!
  • Options
    What the others said. You can't focus on a great run until you can nail those first 6 miles. Your run is only 6 miles long until you get to 6 mile mark, then you can begin focusing on the next 12!

Nicely done!

P