Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

2016 IM Kona Race Day Thread

Hi Team, are you ready to give your teammates some serious mojo for this coming weekend? It is the BIG show after all. While they are burning off all those calories why not consume them by taking part in the annual ice cream time trial. Deets are on the dash. (shamless plug I know) P.S. If you do not take a video or pic it did not happen. Just sayin. 

This thread is to be used on race day to comment on race conditions, observations on how our team are doing during there races, or just to provide some mojo on race day.  Listed on the dash in the EN Tracker are the members that are racing. We have 9 peeps kicking at Kona this year, including Coach Rich.

If you want to tag along with Mariah and Coach Patrick, make sure you visit our twitter feed @teamen or check out our fb page https://www.facebook.com/endurancenation/?fref=ts. Mariah will be recording live from periscope all day on our twitter page. 

Comments

• Options

Brenda - so we don't have an unlucky 13 listed on the Kona EN Tracker, maybe add Jenn Edwards, #1494?

Looking at the list, I marvel that I have personally met practically all of the folks racing there this year. That's one of the things which makes EN so cool - we can build a true team over time and shared aspirations.

• Options

GO TEAM!  We're watching!

• Options
    coach Rich, Jeremy, and Tallo out at 1:02-3 and Rick G is out in 1:26. That is fast for anyone but for 70+ , that's smoking.
  • Options
    Can Jeremy really keep up that blistering pace for the 2nd half of the run?!?!?!?
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 08 Oct 2016 08:33 PM
    Can Jeremy really keep up that blistering pace for the 2nd half of the run?!?!?!?

That's exactly what I was thinking and hoping.
  • Options
    What miles are the energy lab? Is that 19ish? He's only slowed a little. Once he's out of there he's on his way home.
  • Options
    About 5 miles left and JB has only slowed down :30 off his initial pace. Incredible
  • Options

JB 9:54!

• Options
    Well...that hurt :-) I had about the race I trained for. Some good decisions, some that could have been better, but overall happy with the day. Full race report and more coming soon. THANKS SO MUCH for all of the real and virtual encouragement!

Feet up in the condo with the over-salted puffy thing going on and a not so happy stomach that's getting a little better. Great to see so many of our team out there getting it done! Jeremy beat me out of T1 (I walked 100% of it) and then I saw him on the initial out and back. And was crazy far ahead of me on the Queen K, looking good. Tallo passed me on the bike on the QK and he was very efficient with the aid stations. I kept in site for a while be he eventually disappeared. Mark C passed me coming back on the QK and I saw him on Alii as I was running to the chute. Jen Edwards looked crazy strong as she passed me in the Energy Lab, as did Robin Sarner. Rick G was in great spirits when I saw him twice on the run and Jennifer Eckert looked great as well.

Look forward to the race reports and war stories!

• Options

Great work Coach!

• Options
    Thanks coaches, mariah, teammates,all. Finished. 11:22. Not totally unrespectable. About 50% for age.

All around great experience. Here with 11 family. Great house south of town 40 minutes.

In the water pre swim start was magical.

Would have liked to visit with teammates more, jen et al, but only so much time.

Didn't have the power/energy to meet goals during the day. But they have this heat thing here. And the lead up training not ideal due to illness.

Swim was fine. Beat previous wetsuitless swims. Bike was adequate per the power. The bike course is an old friend (previous training visits). Run was very tough last 13. Threw up many times at 21. Apparently i had not absorbed anything. Nursed it in from here. Closest ever to dropping out. Close to passing out right to the end.

So am quite happy with the whole week, getting here, and finishing. Racing with teammates. Thinking back on the journey here with help from the coaches, teammates, friends, coworkers. Oh, and wife ! And family.

Day after swimming amongst a large group of dolphins at Hookena beach (small local beach). Not the paid thing, just swimming in the bay. Hard during the tough parts of an ironman bike and run to say " this is fun". But this whole experience has been joyful.

• Options
    @ Robin...Extra Congrats on your finish.  The Queen K can be cruel on the run.  Much respect for not dropping out and keep going.  You won't ever forget crossing that finish line.
  • Options

Great way to gut it out Robin!  Congratulations!

• Options
    thanks Bruce.      thanks Mike.
  • Options

Hey Robin, Guess what?  WE DID IT!   And we did it OUR way!  

Ha - so funny how DIFFERENT our training was to qualify and yet hey, both worked!  All hail the power of understanding yourself and what works best for you - clearly that came from a LOT of self reflection and analysis.  

It was great to see you and Lisa if only for a bit. I really like that you soaked up all the island vibe and managed to eat all the requisite grinds.  Hopefully the fix will last you the year.  I'm sorry you day wasn't perfect, but super inspired that you rallied to finish. This is NOT the one you want to DNF, obviously. 

I'll be super keen to know when you decide what your next adventure is and look forward to seeing you around the 'hood.

FIST BUMP from PNW sleeper cell member to another!

• Options

thanks jenivere.

quite happy for you.

and glad I brought it home myself.

already craving the local food.       at least we can get most things in this area except for poi (even some poi around though).

nice that we have a dinner together soon.

I still am recovering from a significant bronchitis.     really would like to do Arizona.      will make final decision within 1.5 weeks.      next year texas ???