Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman North Carolina [Retired]
Options

2017 IM North Carolina Roll Call......Who's In?

Yes, your legs are sore (well, maybe not as sore as they would of been had the bike been the full disance); you have blisters and rashes in places that only a post race shower can discover; and your statement of “I’m never doing another one of these again” are all becoming a distant memory.

Don’t act like you’re not thinking about it. Who’s in for 2017?

And for those of you lurking at home...and were inspired by your teammates...did you pull the trigger?!

Comments

• Options
    Hey Brenda!

Next season is shaping up for me now with St George in May and IMCHOO in September. No plans to do IMNC in 2017, I enjoyed it this weekend but want to do something different next year.

Looking out for at least one more 70.3 next year in addition to St George, any thoughts?
  • Options
    I promised myself 2017 would be short course focused. No races longer than an Oly (unless I'm doing a leg of a relay). So count me out- BUT it's highly likely I'll be there to cheer for others.
  • Options
    I was going to sign up. When does registration open?
  • Options
    I haven't looked, but my understanding was that Registration had not opened and there are all sorts of rumors swirling about the future of this race. Just checked the race website and registration is not open and the date is listed as "TBD." This downhill swim is attracting me to this race, my alternative if this doesn't come together is Louisville.
  • Options
    It's not open as of 29 Oct. TBD for 2017 and rumor that it will shift to Spring timeframe for 2018. It might potentially bridge all the way until then. I wanted to do this race but after listening to Rich's webinar on setting up the perfect season, and doing some soul searching, I decided to keep 2017 to just a single IM (I'm already registered for South Africa). So I went ahead and signed up for the 1/3 GFT on 21 Oct 2017 (only $100 for early registration) ... sort of like an Oly on steroids and with limited recovery costs.
  • Options
    Shifting to spring makes some sense to me for Ironman that wouldn't previously have made as much sense for B2B. As a "local" race, training for a spring IM in this area is pretty rough. But when you are drawing people from everywhere (and in this case the southeast in particular), a May race would seem ideal to fill a gap in the IM calendar, and avoid hurricane season (doesn't mean you can't still have a crappy weather day- but it won't be blown out entirely).
  • Options
    Looks like it will be Oct 22, 2017...registration opening soon. I'm in!
  • Options
    Derrek, where did you find the date?
  • Options
    That 22 Oct 2017 date is not legit. It is the result of a search function error in ironman.com that assigns this years day/month to next year's year. Click on the link and you will see that IMNC is still TBD. You can use the same search function and see established races shifting from Sunday to Monday 2017 ... proof that it is pure software buffoonery.
  • Options
    Where are you guys getting the informal scoop? I'm not finding anything on the internet about the race, let alone that it could be moved to the spring of 2018. Being in Louisiana, the closest other races are Louisville and Chattanooga. I suppose Texas is also a choice. But even in Louisiana that is a lot of training in the dark/cold or a trainer.
  • Options
    @Paul, You're right! I'm back to considering IMLou.
  • Options
    I sent an email to WTC asking when online registration would open for 2017. They responded that the date and other details where still being worked out and that online registration would be coming soon. Cryptic and useless, typical WTC.
  • Options
    A possible shift to spring 2018 is pure SlowTwitch rumint -- based on too many southeastern IMs in the same Fall timeframe. And if the race were going to stay on the same weekend - e.g., 21 Oct 2017 - then why didn't they open it right away? The delay gives some credence to the possibility of a date shift since that would require re-negotiation with the local community to ensure there are no festivals or other events that might conflict with the permit requirements. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    IMNC still does not have a race date posted. I want to do a fall IM next year and only race on Saturdays. Should I sign up for IMFL to make sure I get my race or hope the keep IMNC in the fall? I did IMFL in 2013 & 2015 so I really wanted to try something different.
  • Options
    What about the Great Flordian? October 21, a Saturday. I know nothing about that race though.
  • Options

Posted By Gordon Polozola on 04 Nov 2016 01:44 PM

What about the Great Flordian? October 21, a Saturday. I know nothing about that race though.
    Gordon - I've done every variant of the Great Floridian and know Clermont inside out.   EN does not target independent IMs as Key races, but every year some EN member does the GFT.  I've already signed up for the 1/3 GFT for 21 Oct 17 ... that will be the most popular event of the day.   This year I did the 2/3rds GFT but dropped out intentionally at 9 miles to avoid a recovery hole. In the past I've done the full aquabike (3 times) and the now defunct "Tri-America" Distance which was similar to the 1/3 GFT.   If you have any questions I should be able to answer them.  

• Options
    Does anyone know the backstory? Surely they didn't buy it just to kill it.
  • Options
    That's what I'm wondering. Buy off the independents and then discontinue them to protect WTC's existing line-up? Make a few examples of races to keep the leverage? I haven't been in the sport long enough to race the long time tris and they are disappearing. Gulf Coast Triathlon just turned into Ironman 70.3 Gulf Coast. Maybe I better go race it next year - or else...
  • Options
    IM70.3 NC will continue. WTC also is now licensing IM70.3 Maine from Rev3. Mariah won't take me up on a bet, but I think Rev 3 will be gone in 2 years. Cedar Point would not renew with them so those races are gone. They are shrinking fast.
  • Options
    When they killed IMSG it was due to low registration. They started the 70.3, and the contract stipulates that the city is not allowed to approve permits for any tri longer then an olympic distance. This effectively killed anyone coming in after wards and starting an off brand replacement race. Race organizers in the are have been interested in resurrecting the race, but having the North American Championship is to valuable to the community.
  • Options
    Interesting about that contract - it may seem smart from Ironman's perspective but that's only going to kill the sport quicker. We need local companies to run local races that will have 200-400 participants.
  • Options
    Grrr!!! This makes me so mad! I actually prefer the vibe of the smaller off brand races. I did B2B in 2014 and it was fantastic. I was so bummed that WTC bought it. Now they killed it. Makes me even less likely to do one of their stupid races again.