Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Ellen Sauter Micro Forum

Hi Patrick - excited to get started with EN.  Quick questions - as I mentioned in my road map, I am still rehabbing a pretty bad shoulder and knee injury.  As part of that rehab, I lift weights twice a week for legs and arms.  Where do you see that fitting in with this week's testing?  And in future weeks?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ellen, thanks for reaching out! When you mentioned the injury in 2015, I thought you meant you were just out of shape, not still rehabbing!

Honestly, I don't see the pressure to put you into the NovOS right away.

We could have you start with the DEC OS folks, and do Block 1 of the Run Durability Program (RDP)...as an entry point to getting on a schedule and getting consistent (both critical f0r your future success). Then you would lift Monday / Friday....and after the four weeks of RDP end, you would transition to the Dec OS (Still lifting Monday / Friday).

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options

I'm excited to start the NovOS - working out consistently isn't an issue.  My arm just functions at about 90% right now and I am hoping to get it back to 100%.  Lifting and getting that entire shoulder area stronger is unfortunately the key (I HATE lifting weights )  The knee surgery left me with a run that isn't what it used to be, but maybe we can get that back.  I am set to do the run test today, so let's see what happens.  Lifting on Mon/Fri would certainly work - I do my core at that time as well, so similar to the core work for the OS.  Thoughts?

Ellen 

• Options
    Ellen, combining core and strength for the shoulder makes perfect sense. Do you have a set of exercises you already do? Can swimming help it -- i.e., help you with ROM as you work on strength on dry land...let me know what you know so I can help!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    It is like you are reading my mind! Yes, I do need to keep swimming because it really helps my shoulder. Hurts, but helps, so I do it. I know swimming isn't part of the OS plan, but I need to figure out how to fit in at least two days in the pool. I really liked the idea of two days off during the OS, but I am willing to give up my Friday. I still want to have Mondays off. Plan right now is to lift on Tuesdays after the 20 min run and lift on Fridays. I can certainly swim one day of the weekend, so just need to find another day as well. As far as lifting goes - I have the good fortune to be married to a physical therapist. He has the whole lifting routine down. I do leg press and split squats for my knee, and push ups, seated rows, lat pull and deltoid work with light weights. If you know some secret, super exercise, please chime in!

As far as training - my run test went way better than expected. I was thinking I could hold 9:00 miles for 3 miles, and it turns out, I did 8:30s!! Pretty excited about that - means I'm working my way back. Power test went well - I've seen higher number before, but not bad for November. FTP is 167. I'm really liking this so far - really glad to have found EN.

Ellen
  • Options
    Ellen - your husband is a physical therapist? Please tell me there's a guest room. :-)

I think your basic week should look something like this:

Mon - OFF
    Tue - Bike, Brick Run, Weights.
    Wed - Run as planned.
    Thu - Bike as planned.
    Fri - Swim, Lift.
    Sat - Bike, Brick Run.
    Sun - Run.

I think that set up should get you just enough work, with the additional functional stuff for talking about, and keep you on track. If you find yourself in a week when you need a little more rest, then I would drop the swimming on Friday.Sounds like you can do your lifting at home which means there is zero cost to that training session.

Let's get you want to consistent schedule and once we have that baseline we can investigate doing more work on making modifications as needed.

Great to have you here!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hi Patrick - how is your knee.  Not trying to be nosy - just saw you had posted about knee pain and going to see a PT.  My guess is bursitis - hate the bursitis!!  Anyway - questions about this weekend's long run.  I would like to do that with my running partner, but we always run at a trail that is pretty hilly.  Holding pace wouldn't be an option, so I was wondering if running by heart rate would be ok?  I am trying to make the most of the OS and "stick with the plan", so I wanted to get your thoughts.  

• Options
    ES - thanks for asking! We are still digging in to the root cause...but it seems a little better...lots of hamstring stretching at this moment seems to be helping. image

Trail run is fun and go do it. If you give me 75% of your OS workouts (Mon-Fri) and you do your best on Sat / Sun with fun, quality sessions, I can't complain.

Just take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag #EN4keys or @teamendurancenation so we can find it!!! #jealous

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hi Coach P - I can't do my run test until Friday.  I would prefer daylight when I do it   I'm going to bike test Tuesday morning - wondering what I do with myself Wednesday and Thursday?  

Ellen

• Options
    Wed / Thurs can be light aerobic days....easy runs (30 mins max) or even an easy bike (45' max) is okay. Good luck on your test tomorrow!!!
  • Options

Good Morning Coach P!  Need some input on the run plan please.  First, my running is going great - very pleased with the progress I have made in the OS.  I know the plan calls for running a half or 10K that last week.  Here in the frozen tundra of Columbus, Ohio, the only thing I can find within a reasonable distance is an indoor tri at Ohio State.  We HATE the Buckeyes, so I will not be doing that   I'm not really interested in sinking a ton of travel expense into doing a 10K, so wanted to know what the alternatives are.  Just do another 5K test?  Beg my husband to do a "mock" 10K with me?  Let me know your thoughts.  Have a great week!

Ellen

• Options
    I say a Mock 10k...I love it. Why pay for it..just run baby run! If you want to map something out, I can help you review the course, etc. 

Sending you good weather wishes!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P - haven't checked in for awhile.  I've been struggling with hip pain that has really hampered my running.  Bummed because I worked so hard in the Off Season to improve my run.  I feel like all the work and fastness is going down the drain.  Bike is still strong and my shoulder is almost at 100% now, so my swimming is coming along.  Still slow as a turtle, but very SMOOTH  :p  I'm the best slow swimmer out there!  

So, my questions:  I am now to the point I'm getting an MRI.  Possibly a pinched nerve in my lower back??  I don't know - I just know it hurts.  Now really running much at all now.  Can you give me suggestions on how to modify the plan?  Bike more?  Take up the eliptical?  (torture, but I guess I could handle 30 min)

I'm off to North Carolina this weekend to do the 6 hours of Warrior Creek mountain bike relay race.  My brother is my partner - not doing it solo!  That should give me some good bike workouts.  

Hope all is well with you - sounds like your knee is doing better.  Happy training and a belated Happy Birthday!

Ellen
  • Options
    @Ellen Sauter - that really sucks. I am so sorry to hear that!!! Hip pain is so hard to decipher...you are right to back off (that's the "most effective" treatment in the meantime). 

While you wait on the MRI (what's the date on that?) we can have you switch to "aquabike" mode to keep things rolling. 

Since you are on the Short Course plan, that would look like this (note your choice of off day):

Mon - Swim or OFF 
    Tue - Bike Only
    Wed - Swim
    Thu - Bike Only
    Fri - Swim or OFF
    Sat - Bike Only
    Sun - Bonus Bike Session

Sunday is fun day. You can ride on the trainer for a bit if you like, or you can get outside when the weather is nicer and just explore and have fun. IOW I don't want you to crush yourself (that's what the other bike days are for!). 

I will be curious to hear what your ortho says about your hip; as it might be possible to cross train vs run in the meantime. Let's see. When you do have more info, please set up a call with me so we can discuss: http://meetme.so/patrickmccrann (Please remember to include your phone number.)

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P - I had my MRI last night.  Nothing is wrong with my back, which is great news.  BUT, still can't figure out why my hip/butt isn't getting better.  My doctor wants to try cupping next.  I'll be like Michael Phelps!  I scheduled a call with you next Wednesday.  I see my doctor that morning, so I can give you the latest.  Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    @Ellen Sauter - perfect estimation point I see you on my calendar, Looking forward to it. The hip is such a funky area because there's so many different pieces of the puzzle. Sometimes not having a definitive answer can be frustrating, but it's better than knowing for sure you got a big problem. 

Out of curiosity,How many people actually look at the MRI? Sometimes it's just a technician…and then the doctor goes by their report. The more than look at it, the better. And if you have the MRI on a disk, other people can easily view it. 
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2017 9:38PM
    @Ellen Sauter - great call yesterday. I think we are onto something with your current PT cupping and that psoas conversation. I can't be 100% sure, but it sure sounds familiar! Here's where it comes from the spine down through the hips: 

Psoas Stretch:

Technically only a PT Can help you out, maybe some ART. But it's not guaranteed. You can stretch the heck out of the area though, and this post has a ton of them at the bottom (and a video too). Maybe your PT can help a bit?

Before Any Run, you need to do our pre run warm up (no sound): 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/oxd9qr6qn6?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoWidth=550

With the Off Road USAT Nationals on 6/4 we don't have a ton of time. Here's what I recommend: 

• 4/17: 3 x 30' of run walk. Warm up with 10' walking then 1' run, 2' walk, repeating. 
    • 4/24: 3 x 35' of run walk. Warm up with 10' walking then 2' run, 1' walk, repeating.
    • 5/1: 4 x 20' runs. Walk 10' to warm up, then run in Zone 1/Zone 2 NOT HARD. 
    • 5/8: 4 x 25' runs. Warm up, then 20' steady, 5' strong.
    • 5/15: 2 x 45' run. Warm up, then 30' steady, 15' strong. 
    • 5/22: 4 x 25' runs. Warm up, then 20' steady, 5' strong.
    • 5/29: Taper, TBD.

I say we load up that Short Course plan for you to get your Swim // Bike // Run on...let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hi Coach P - checking in.  Started the run/walk this week.  Have 2 under my belt and so far, so good.  No pain - maybe a tiny bit achy when I am done.  I have been doing the warm-up, which has helped.  Question - I am only doing the dynamic part of that video before I run.  Is that correct?  For how long should you do each of the five exercises?  30 seconds?  10-15 times each side?  I stretch and roll after my runs.  

Husband put me on the multi-angle hip machine as part of my re-hab (remember, he is a PT :)) I also have another cupping session on Friday, so I think we are moving in the right direction.

LOL - i should have been on the short course plan two weeks ago.  I was too busy "getting faster", - didn't even pay attention!  The Get Faster plan is harder, so I'm not worried.  Bike is good, swimming continues to improve.  Hopeful about the run.
  • Options
    @Ellen Sauter - That's great news! Yes, only the dynamic part. I do them about 45 seconds each side...wherever you feel a relaxing or a change in ROM. 

I forgot your husband was a PT. That is a significant competitive advantage!!!!  :smile:

Slow and steady will help you lock it all in....very excited!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P - just checking in.  Running is going great.  Just finished by week of 4 x 20' min runs - even did a few strides on the last one and it felt really good.  Moving on to 20' steady, 5' strong this week.  Had my third cupping session last Wednesday - that should probably be enough for now.  Still getting ART - that happens on Thursday this week. And of course, Hubby still has be strength training on the hip machine and stretching  ;)  Feeling hopeful.  May not be as fast as I want for Off Road Nationals, but my bike is strong, so I will at least feel competitive.

Just for you - I set up a Strava account!  It is linked to my Garmin Connect account, so all my data is in there.  Not really sure how you access it, so just tell me and I will make the adjustments.  I few things to note:  I don't always (but I'm changing my ways!!) wear my Garmin watch, so not all my runs are in there.  (Sometimes, if the run isn't specific, I just like to run - I know, weird)  I also don't wear my heart rate monitor - I know, BAD Ellen.  I will start, but if you could explain why that information is relevant, that would be great.  If we are running by pace, who cares what your heart rate is???

Last week was hectic - drove to Houston (from Ohio) to collect my daughter from college.  36 hours of driving in 84 hours.  We did fit in a work out each day, so I will call last week a recovery week.  I got all my running in, so that is a win!

I'll stick with the running plan you gave me unless you tell me different.  Hope all is well with you!

Ellen

• Options
    @Ellen Sauter - I think I see you...is that you in Mount Hope KS? I think I see you running on Murphy Parkway. :smile: It's the only Ellen Sauter I can find on Strava. Let me know or maybe we need to make you public. 

That run build up is great...can't ask for more than that! You might just surprise yourself on the run...just be steady, both in training and on race day. 

I like HR as you use that on RACE DAY. We train with PACE to push our muscles and record our HR at the same time. The HR is the expression of how your body is HANDLING the WORK. PACE is the expression of THE WORK. So on race day with heat, nutrition, terrain...plus pace...your body is experiencing NEW WORK. 

But if we know your typical level of work ENDURED as a function of HEART RATE, then on race day you can make good decisions about what do to based off of the HEART RATE you are seeing. Because even though you trained for a 10:00 mile...you are running 12:30s on a 90-degree day and that's also friggin competitive according to your HRM even though your Garmin is beeping at you to run faster dammit. 

Also, I like ALL CAPS today. Sorry. SORRY. 

Run plan is good...let's see how the week treats you!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    You found me Coach P!  I'm very popular - I have FIVE people following me  :D  Running is going very well.  Ran 45 min yesterday - no pain.  I even cranked out a 8:43 mile without even trying!  I'll stick with the plan - seems to be working.

A few questions:  
    Curious - on the bike race rehearsal, it has you riding for 45 min at your FTP.  There is no way in hell I could ever do a triathlon bike at my FTP!  Am I missing something?  Am I working too hard in my power tests and my FTP is too high??  Those 10-15 min intervals on Tuesday and Thursday are hard enough!  

Second - headed to Boone, NC over Memorial Day weekend for some riding - both mountain and rode.  I realize my race is the following weekend - what are your thoughts on mileage/time for these rides?  I was hoping to ride Friday, Sat and Sun.  After that, I will probably reign it in.

Last - I have to say, I am very impressed by you and these Micro Forums.  I read through them sometimes - there are quite a few people on here looking for your advise!  You must be very busy.

I'll leave you with a photo to make you smile while you type out all these answers to people's questions - that's me being exhausted this past weekend doing a 6 Hour MTB race.  Good grief - it was hard!

Ellen

• Options
    @Ellen Sauter - I love the mountain bike picture! Thank you so much for sharing, has me really smiling here.

I'm glad the run is going well, let's keep it up but continue not to force it. Let the fitness come to you.

as for the race rehearsal, we want to get as close to that upper end effort as possible as that is likely your target on race day. Rather than focus on the numbers I have written say, instead focus on what that race effort will be for you – that is what we're trying to achieve for 45 minutes in the rehearsal.

how does that sound?
  • Options
    Coach P - here I am checking in.  Things are going well - I'm on the 70.3 plan now.  My run is pretty much back to normal, so just sticking to the plan.  Leaving for Germany next week (Hubby is doing Challenge Roth and the whole family is making a vacation out of it) so mostly running for those ten days.  Anything special I should try to do, or just run?

Training is paying off - did an Olympic on Sunday - won my age group AND had the fastest bike split (in my age group) by over 10 minutes!!  5th fastest bike split out of all the women. Work works.

Hope your training is going well - less than a month to Lake Placid!

Ellen
  • Options
    @Ellen Sauter -  thanks for the update! Super pumped about your results, I know they don't come easy… So definitely reach that right hand high, bend at the elbow and give yourself a pat on the back.  :D

Being able to support your husband is pretty cool. From my perspective I would only want to make sure that you get in the queue runs that week: the interval run and the long run. The other days are just gravy.

For those "other" days you could get in 30 or 40 minutes of run with a few strides at the end. All of that money will add up and have you pretty strong by the time you get back.  Don't force anything simultaneously with distance in intensity, after all we want to keep you healthy for the race… There's more than just chasing Fitness!