Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

On Adversity, Boobs and Silver Linings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Welcome back Jenn! You've been missed and I can't wait to see you grow back into the monster you are. So glad to see you back and at it!
  • Options
    I don't know how I missed all of this message chain before, but Jenn you're a rock star! 

Hugs and a big smile (and some tears) from Dallas!
  • Options
    I call BS.   Nothing about your ride Sunday was slow.    

So glad everything is now behind you for the most part.   

Oh...and if you are going to quote the great LL Cool J make sure you get it right  :#
  • Options
    I wish I'd seen this earlier!  I had similar experience.  In 2012 I had an abnormal mammogram in February.  the doctors were not sure what it was so I told them if they wanted to do something, be quick about it as I had an ironman (Tremblant) and marathon to do (New York)  The surgeon told me I was too healthy to have cancer!  Awesome!  I'm out of here.  Fast forward to October.  So one of my friends, a cyclist had her second bout and called me for advice!  (I'm an ER doc, so I said do whatever your doctor says...) so I said to myself, ok, she's pretty darn healthy, I had better check it out.  So biospy and removal of lesion.  Boom!  invasive intraductal...  so... had the front end redone, and thankfully avoided chemo...  I was in the hospital during Hurricane Sandy so I told the folks there that they had to cancel the New York marathon that year as I couldn't make it! Got to run in 2013 and had a good time!

I am almost 5 years out.  I took the anti-estrogen receptor stuff for about a year... every joint hurt and my endurance was awful!!!  However, I made it, finished it, and got the T-shirt, you know the one you have on your blog?  So I don't know whether the tumor was low grade enough or it is because I'm an old fart but I begged to not take the Arimidex the whole 5 years and I got through that... my friend, who is about your age, just finished her course but she was a recurrence situation.  
    anyway, If I can be of any support for you, let me know.  I wish I had seen this earlier.  the best trick I learned was the removable pockets for my sweaters to put the damn drains in...  I hated that part.  As a doctor in a different field I managed to freak myself out a lot with that whole mess!  

At this point, I am sure my life will be long and that my risk of succumbing to the big C is much less likely than death on a bicycle, or skiing!  so, it is kind of like a different type of long distance event.  5 years feels pretty good, although I do miss my original set, at times, if you know what I mean :)
  • Options
    Hey Patricia!  Man, I'm SO glad you are well... thaks for sharing.  If I've learned anything it's that we are really never alone in any challenge.  Oh and that those drains are the WORST!    :D
  • Options
    Wow Jenn!  I finally am seeing your posts since the original one.  Thank goodness these things are back on the dashboard:-)  I am SO happy that you are over the worst of it and you are obviously getting back into great shape!  In so many ways!!   I knew you would be a beast with all of this, just as you are out on the road.  Will continue sending you the good vibes and following your progress.  xoxo