Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IM LAKE PLACID 2017 MAY 15 - 21

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great work by all on the efforts this weekend
    @Patrick Marsh I use Conti gatorskins in training.  I don't use the latest and greatest tire until the race rehearsal in week 5 or 3.  For me I like the added puncture protection during training and the increased speed I get when going from the gatorskin to the 4000's for the RR.  I also like to deck out the rear tire with my disk cover for the Wednesday ride price to the RR as I don't race much and want to make sure I have everything working correctly.  The only thing I don't do is put in latex tubes as I'm familiar enough with them to set that up the week or so prior to the race.

@peter lautenslager Thanks for the road report from LP.  While it is somewhat unfortunate I do tend to ride on similarly crumby shoulders here is the great white north, except for the washboard ripples.  Those are always fun.
  • Options
    @Patrick Marsh - i've always wanted to do the 'kill, looks like you had a spectacular day. That race is a tough one on tire width, not unlike the hell of hunterdon.. I'd tough it out with 25s if i were ever to do.. Most guys I know that do that, do that.. 

@peter lautenslager - not sure where you live, but the roads here in Westchester county suck unless they've been repaved in the last 2 years. NYS tries to save $ by "strip paving" the right side and that just makes em suck even more! usually the reports in spring are similar to yours with a better road by race day.. and the fact that everyone is riding the right shoulder... let's all do a "road surface dance" every night :smile:
  • Options
    I think any road in the North East suffers from the winters.  Where I live it's the dreaded Chip Seal that they seem to do on all of the country roads we ride...
  • Options
    I think any road in the North East suffers from the winters.  Where I live it's the dreaded Chip Seal that they seem to do on all of the country roads we ride...
    nah.. around here when we cross from NY into CT it's scary how nice the roads are over there.. they have repaved a bunch around here, but it's still a losing battle. 
  • Options
    MI roads blow.  Every year the minute we cross into Ohio for the trip to BRC it amazes me how much smoother the roads are.  Toledo is an hour from me so its not like they get any less brutal winters there.  Stupid stupid stupid.  Couple the  love of their own vehicles and disdain for cyclists on the road here near the Motor City....this is why I ride in circles (going batty at times!) instead of on the roads.  

Saturday's big day went well especially since my husband's coughing kept me up most of the night. :(  He felt really bad since he knew I had to be up and out early.  

I wore my sim shorts for the swim and got in 3000m in the hour.  Got changed and dried my hair (too cold to go with it wet!) and met the crew at Stony for loops.  Got in 70 miles hitting my power goals in the 20' sets and a touch lower than I wanted on the last 90'.  It was breezy and chilly all day.  The run went well.  Ran with my workout hubby Bobby at his pace for 30' then picked it up to my trp/z2 pace for the last 30.  Felt really good on the run, but as I said...overcast and quite cool.  Won't likely be like that come race day.  

Big lesson...eat more.  I had a normal saturday breakfast, but not enough.  Ate in the car on the way to the park post swim, was STARVING at the 2 hour mark and took in 350 calories, then finished up well. I tried new food on the bike and it worked well....no tummy issues!  Yay!   Again, not hot, so that may change things.  Overall, very happy with the day.  Unlike many of you, I did take Sunday off.  It was grand.  Lazed, read, napped during a storm and planned my post IM vacation lodging in Maine.  Good stuff. :smiley: