Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Wildflower May 1

So, this is my first time racing wildflower. I was using it as a B level race, one I want to do well on, but it isn't the most important race of the season. I think its got a couple of hills in it, that will let me practice hills for france, as well as enjoy a nice weekend in the sun, hopefully. (every race I have ever done rains.. seriously)

Any tips on executing this race? This will be my first race with the EN program. Anything I should be aware of?

ย 

Comments

• Options
    Jason- have you looked through the Race Execution guidlines stuff on the Train Map & Wiki? Pull down/read the Half Mary stuff to get your race plan together- that should apply to any Half Mary.

As for specific guidance on the Wildflower course- I can't help there- but we have several folks with lots of experience on that course so hopefully they will pipe in. Also, go to the EN 3.0 forum and do a search in the Race Report forum for Wildflower reports- lots of good stuff there too!
  • Options
    Calling CoachR, calling CoachR!

I did this race last year, and to say it has a 'couple of hills', is a GREAT understatement! That course was harder than any of the IMs I've done, IMO.
  • Options

What Scott said.....a 'couple of hills', is a GREAT understatement!

Here is a discription of the event and the bike course.

The Wildflower Triathlon is a triathlon (swim-bike-run race) held at Lake San Antonio in Central California since 1983, the first winner being legendary Dean "The Machine" Harper. It is held the first weekend in May each year. The original course was expanded to the standardized half-Ironman distance (1.2 mi / 56 mi / 13.1 mi) in the late 1980s, and is often referred to as simply the long course. Two more races have subsequently been added to the event: an Olympic-distance (1.5 km / 40 km / 10 km) race and a short or "sprint" mountain-bike triathlon (0.25 mi / 9.7 mi / 2 mi). Known for a particularly hilly and grueling course, it is one of the largest triathlon events in the world, with 7,500 athletes and 30,000 plus spectators attending each year. Traditionally it is associated with a Wildflower festival, though in recent years the festival has been eclipsed by the increasingly large athletic event.ย  Think "Woodstock" of triathlons!ย 

THE BIKE COURSE

The course is 56 miles long and is considered relatively difficult. The bike portion of the course will be marked by Large Yellow Diamonds. Triathletes leave the transition area to the north and make a quick left through the finish line chute. Proceed around the store and follow the road down Shoreline Drive to the beach area. Follow the road as it turns right up "Beach Hill", a very steep 1 mile climb. Turn right on San Antonio Drive and head up and out of the park. Turn right on Interlake Road past the first check point at mile six. Bicyclists will proceed on Interlake Road over rolling hills. Make another right turn at Jolon Road (19 miles). Triathletes will have small rolling hills along Jolon Road and will be able to enjoy the downhill ride from mile 26 to 32 At mile 32, turn right on Nacimiento Road and head for the dreaded "Nasty Grade" At mile 34 follow Nacimiento left up "Nasty Grade", a nearly five mile grade which climbs 1000 feet from bottom to top of "Heart Rate Hill." Polar will be taking athletes heart rates. Turn right again at the top of the hill back onto Interlake Road (more climb followed by a long downhill with a left wide turn. High speeds are reached on this downhill where numerous riders have lost control and crashed. At the 50 mile point, turn right San Antonio Drive and head back to the park. Turn left down Lynch Hill for the final descent. Dismount before entering the transition area through the Bike In Chute.

After dismounting the bike, you now get to run a butt kicker of a 13.1 run course.

Best of luck!

ย 

• Options
    @Jason - do a quick search on EN 3 forums for coach Rich's race rehearsal & race report for Wildflower - its very detailed and will give you a great insight on the course and how to plan your pacing.
  • Options

All,

Today, or later this week, I'll make a Race Guide for WF similar to what we've done for the IM's. See the Wiki Table of Contents. The thing is, over the years I've written about a half dozen detailed guidance dealios for WF, cuz Iย keep forgetting where I put them all