Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Santa Rosa
Options

IM Santa Rosa Training June 21 - June 26th

Race Rehearsal

You have made it to Race Rehearsal Week! WOOHOO!! With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week.  This week is RACE REHEARSAL WEEK!!! It's the official-ification of our Ironman training weekends. It represents the intersection of race execution and volume, presenting YOU the athlete with a chance to simultaneously improve their fitness and strategy. There are FANTASTIC videos/podcast about this high volume week.  They will give IMPORTANT information sto take a few minutes to listen and watch!!

I would recommend if you have specific questions for Patrick, GET THOSE IN THE COACH forums NOW! Don't wait to ask him questions on Friday night for Saturday morning!

What is camp?

It's a regular training week with modifications to allow for a swim test, the 2 x 112 rides and a weekend long run.

• Thursday:  Swim Test Day

• Friday:  Race Rehearsal #1 aka 112 Mile Ride + a 1 Hour Run.  Read the full Race Rehearsal protocol here.

• Saturday:  Up to 112 Mile Ride. How far you ride on Day Two is a function of your fitness and race goals, and of course, safety. At a minimum you'll want to do 56 miles, with more advanced athletes working upwards to a full 112.

• Sunday:  Long Run according to your plan; minimum of 13 miles.

Think at the start of this week.

• What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

• Pacing

• Get out there and JRA - 1 hour 1.5 then to steady pace

• Fueling plan

• Run - first three miles LRP plus 30” per mile. First three miles to settle in - mark the transition and take stock of how you feel

More info here….http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/ENFULLPlanResources/VolumeStrategySeriesPartIV.aspx

Keep on CRUSHIN’ it!!! Let’s hear you!! How’s everyone doing???

*** EN GEAR:  Make sure to check out our AMAZING store at Trisports! http://www.trisports.com/endurance-nation.html

Sponser of the Week: VASA!!

SwimErg

Swim Erg Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-ERG

Purchase of one SwimErg

Discount value: $100 off

SwimErg best for triathletes looking to:

Trainer Pro

Trainer Pro Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-TRAINER

Purchase of one Trainer Pro

Discount value: $50 off

More info here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22869/vasa#latest

Comments

• Options
    Race rehearsal number one tomorrow.  I worked it out so I have the day off so will be able to do the whole rehearsal. Sending my wife off to pamper herself while I slave away.  Hope everyone has a great rehearsal.  I assume there are more people doing IM Santa Rosa besides Jacklyn and myself!  Let's hear from you!
  • Options
    Always love this race rehearsal... it means that IM time is getting real!  Plan to execute from my Beaverton house (secured a day off from work) and got a couple good routes planned and looking forward to some serious sun as the Portland area is supposed to be ~90 degrees in the late PM.  
  • Options
    Heavy training this weekend as "camp" week.  Friday I did 4300 yd swim followed by 112 with 6 mile run, then 105 on Saturday with a 3 mile run.  Did 2 hour run early this morning before it got too hot.  Definitely have tired legs right now.  Looking forward to a good nights sleep!  Getting the nutrition dialed in.

How did it go for everyone else?
  • Options
    OK so internet issues etc.....
    Did my RR Swim FRI ...on pace for 1:10 for full 3850m....but kicked out at 3750! sheesh.... felt easy and controlled.... Of note when in the last 20 min I noticed I might be cutting it close to closure time I diald my efforts up a notch (stronger pull, faster turn over -I have a very slow stroke rate etc) I felt i was going faster but data shows same speed at notably higher HR.    Happy to noodle at 1:10 come race day   Toe cramps which has been years sense an issue.

SAT started "late" @7am was >105 by 90 miles in and garmin died..... finished out a miserable 100mls in 20mph -steady with 30s gusts of wind. Just beat up. Tried to do brick run on TM and after 4 miles just 'done'. Oh and realy severe cramps. despite electrolyte tabs, pickle juce and mag++ added to drinks
    100 mls Bike
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1052200958 

SUN started better...wind came up slowly but became a factor last 40 miles...but not nearly as bad as SAT. Hot and took 5-10 min every bottle exchange to pee/soak down etc. so not so race sim-ish.  No cramps today. HR about 15 BPM less at same speeds all day (up with wind last 2 hrs)
    116mls Bike
    Started brick run with side stitch that just got unbearable....tried to walk it off after 1 mile....aborted run after 2.5miles. Legs realy not that bad.
    Recorded with Strava w/o HR/PWR
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1054122860     Efforts same speed differences mostly due to wind effects 
    my 'ol Newton PM did record and I have the GR etc data there.

Today-MON was to be LONG Run.....however turned into a 14+hr work day.....  Sigh... nuther key WKO gone.
  • Options
    @David Howard- DUDE! Way to stay with it. 

My race rehearsal wasn't much better. Did an OWS the evening before. That went well. First time in a wet suit in two years. There was some anxiety at the beginning. But managed to get in 3000 yards.
     Between the wind and the heat. I headed for home after 83 miles when my stomach cramped. Was able to get the run in. HR was steady. No uncoupling. Got up the next day and my stomach said " NOPE." Went back to bed. Was able to get in the long run in some smoking high heat on Saturday. Love, love, love my arm coolers. Paces were spot on. 

Now we get to do it again this week! Ya
  • Options
    Bib #'s have been assigned if anyone wants to look. I'm the awesome #766! WOW. a life long dream just might come true. Wanted this since I was 14. Never to late to TRI.
  • Options
    RR #2 done today. Much improved. Tummy was more settled. I think I was taking in too much so I cut back by 100 calories per hour but kept the hydration flowing. Will be riding the same route tomorrow as an ABP ride. Should come in pretty thrashed. 
  • Options
    HEY!!! CRICKET CRICKET! It's too quite in here. 
  • Options
    @Jaclyn, I agree much too quiet, although I've been absent the last few days myself.  I've been plugging along with the scheduled workouts without too much problem.  Got through last weekends camp/RR ok.  Learned some things about my nutrition that I'm applying this weekend.  Todays long bike was the first when I didn't feel great.  I was supposed to go 5 hours on the bike with 8X25' at Z3.  During the first one I knew it was going to be a struggle to get them all in.  Finally after the 5th, I just started riding at goal pace.  Decided it just wasn't happening today so cut it a little over an hour short.  I think I haven't been getting enough calories to fuel all these long tough workouts so I'm going to concentrate on my nutrition today so that hopefully tomorrows bike and run will go better.  Then off to Bend for a couple days.

• Options
    Guilty as charged - have had a few challenges with work over the last month and a minor injury on top.  Getting things back on track today!
  • Options
    So I did my ABP ride this morning with the EN zwift gang.  This definitely gets the HR up as you get further into the ride and the time flies by. I highly recommend joining this ride on Sunday's if you have zwift. Now with the discord voice app, everyone talks to each other during the ride except when going for those KOM's and sprints.  Did an hour at TRP following the ride.

if you haven't checked out the ironman Santa Rosa web page lately, go to the course page and check out the you tube videos that are linked there.  Good info on the course from the race director. 
  • Options
    @ Brian Gaffin- Glad to hear. I'm just getting lonely.

The video's are great. The climb doesn't look to bad. Remind of that when I finish. Starting to get pretty overwhelmed with all the moving parts. Glad I got my bib #. The athlete guide is pretty good too.