Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Santa Rosa
Options

IM Santa Rosa Training July 3 - 10

#EN4KEYS 

Well  Crew we are 4 weeks out from race week and there are 4 Keys of Racing within EN. What sets EN athletes drastically apart from other athletes is the ability to know to race. You're putting in the training and doing a fantastic job of posting your information with the team to discuss but as you wind down your training in the next couple weeks you need to put your head in a space to have the 4Keys down pat. Even if you have been with EN for awhile, there is always something to learn or something you can teach to help someone else's race experience.

Not to reinvent the wheel here is a mixture of coaches perspective and a couple other race captains:

X - Race day is about execution NOT fitness

Theme for this week is important.  Start visualizing your upcoming RR2 and Race Day in terms of simply Executing your Fitness:

The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.). They think of race day as the application of their fitness to the course, the distance. They are wrong. Race day is about the application of sound execution skills to a long day. Your fitness is just along for the ride. Through our observation of many, many races we can tell you that fully 90% of athletes out there do not understand this and do not know how to execute properly. For the Endurance Nation athlete then, race day is largely an exercise is doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing!

Easy to read/comprehend the above, difficult to actually apply on race day, when you feel rested, invincible with adrenaline and the best you have felt during the entire training cycle.  So important to start thinking and scripting this concept now.

Good Job team.... keep chipping away, two more weeks left of fitness

Comments

• Options
    4TH Monkeywrinched my swim plans (no swim since > 1 week). No WKO x 3 days    Did a abbreviated Bike 1.5 hr of mixed intervals...just couldn't get goin'.  Did a 2 hr....well a 12 mile run but was over heating so stopped a li'll short. then nuthin for last few days  Achilles rely testy so no more speed/VO2 runs.   Reeeely glad my Air Relax leg squishes came in  Big recovery help! likely some modified plan this week with VO2 and FTP on indoor bike and limited run prior to 18 mile THRS.  To Damn Hot to try after work.... well see if I can get up and started by 4 am for 3 hr run before work THRS..... Im still hoping for a good hard -long weekend next week to close the barn door.....we'll see.  Still optimistic enough to hope for a 11:30 finish (Vineman 2014 was 12:45)  Not the<11 but still "good-ish".  Hard to know with the wonky PWR #s and lack of good long runs this prep.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2017 1:59PM
    Sending positive vibes to the Santa Rosa Crew for the long run today... get it done. 3 and bit weeks to go and we'll be sipping beers and wine... Cody and I did 18 miles this morning. Nothing outside of the ordinary old man pains. 
  • Options
    Got my 18 in this morning as well.  Had the choice to do it before work (starting at 3:45AM) on the dreadmill versus outside after work in the heat of the day (90 degrees today).  Chose the former. Wasn't fun but watched some of the tour which kept me distracted.  Lots of extra curricular activities over the next couple weekends for me so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything, get the workouts in and keep the wife happy!  Probably will mean more early mornings!
  • Options
    Being a slow runner, unlike you SPEED demons, I got in my 15 miles and crushed it! Did a 5.5 mile loop back to the house for refills. For once my nutrition plan WORKED! Physically I can do it but my nutrition goes splat a lot. Have decided it's semi solid and my camel bak for yours truly on the run. Heat adaption is going well too. 

TRP and z2 were great. HR was 125ish. As soon as I picked it up for the z3 stuff. HR 150's. Nice. 

Tom and Dave thanks for your kind words on Strava. I needed that. I actually have a glimmer of hope.  B)
    Still gotta make it through Saturday. Going to be challenging due to holiday stuff going on around town. 
  • Options
    Got my 18 in this morning - didn't hit the last thirty min pace goal as I did for 15 last Thur - was probably carrying more fatigue, but we do plan to do this after a swim and bike on race day!  In other words - Good Training!
  • Options
    107 on zwift this morning!  A few years ago, before EN when I did my first couple ironmans, the training plan I used had the last long bike 3 weeks out from the race which would have been todays workout.  Now I get to do 3 1/2 hours tomorrow and a big weekend of training next week!  It seems unachievable but I know from doing the EN way last year it works!  Bring it on!
  • Options
    Had a fantastic ride today. Hubs and I strung together 4 of the nastier climbs in the area. Finished up with 64 miles/ 5 hours 3650 ft climb and a VERY tired hubby. He was all in and I could have done more. Nutrition is doing much better. Got a little behind in fluids today. Need to be more watchful for next weeks RR.
    Numbers were ok. I'm just thrilled with how I felt. No fading or bad attitude. I was smiling coming in the driveway. 
    #winwin.
  • Options
    18 ml RR Run turned into 16
    Way hot and only could slip out from work after 9am   had mandatory Army stuff at 0420..... 
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1070791395

So it seeeeeems like 9:45-10:00 is good for the first 6....etc....
    Hard to know