Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IM Mont Tremblant Training July 18 - July 24

Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!

Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? I loved reading about your plans and seeing some more posts in the forum!! KEEP IT UP!!!So this week has a few pretty important notes.

1. Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

2. It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have another 4200 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine affect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that affect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50

25 meter pool site 1x per 25

OWS use judgement  

Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water

Its getting close!!! EEKKKK Excited?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Rested yesterday, swam this morning, trying to clear out the cob webs and get back on the horse while the dust is settling....

Time to start training like an IM!

SS
  • Options
    Flying back home tomorrow, Starting this Thur, will train as SS said.. time to get serious now !
  • Options
    I ran yesterday and it was pretty solid considering the heat and my tired legs.  Today it's bike run and then long run tomorrow.  Things are getting real.  Now's the time to double down and stay serious!
  • Options
    Training is going well in the Ross household. We were in Tremblant this past weekend. Road the bike course (2 loops without St. Jovite and Duplesis (accident so unable to pass) and then one loop of the run course on Sunday. Hitting all my workouts and feeling strong and ready to make a better memory of IMMT than the last time I was there. 
  • Options
    This group is quiet !!

Back from CR - that place is pure beauty, even during the rainy season, I would love to go back again, everything is green green and people are so nice,

Officialy back into training mode, I had a bit of panic last night considering the 11 days off where I was only able to run 55k/week during the vacation in Costa Rica.. looked back in my TP and it's exactly what happened last year - false alarm !!

Yesterday did the weekly long run, it was really humid, I wonder if its because I started to be acclimated to it comparing to what I got in CR.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1093440521

Not fast as I would, but still 3 weeks of serious running to bring it a bit down.

I also look next week and its the week of the longest run ! (3hrs) - cant believe we are there already !

This morning I did the Sat's swim since the pool is closed for lane swimming on Sat for kid's swim classes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1094296060

I just swam with normal effort the 3,8k and got this result :

2 3 800 m 51:33 1:21 /100 m
    That would be a dream swim of my life if I can do this on race day,

This afternoon I'll do the hill run on the bridge
    This week end will be all bike

Good work all !

if anyone has questions concerning the area of MT let me know ? Are you all flying to Montreal and driving to MT directly ?

On our side we arrive in MT finally on Thursday morning - wife is working Wednesday and cant leave before so if anyone stays a few days in Montreal before driving to MT let me know, I live downtown and I have spaces if anyone wanna sleep here, we could train together in the area !

have a nice week end !

• Options
    My Thursday long run went well enough.  I'll run again tonight and then swim, bike, run tomorrow.  Just a couple more weeks until race day, so I'm trying to make every workout count.

Looking forward to the weekend and to following everyone at IMLP!
  • Options
    I've been silent, since I've not remembered to subscribe each Monday to the week's thread. Rough week for me post-camp. Tuesday and Wednesday went well enough (except shortening Tuesday's swim). Long run just didn't happen, as my legs felt heavy. Friday's run, similarly, didn't happen, as my butt/glutes were aching pretty badly. Only got about half of Saturday's bike and all of the swim in, as the glute pain started again. Today, I cut the bike a little short, but finally got a quality run in. Not being able to train outdoors due to 100 degree temps made everything harder as well, but I'll rededicate myself for the next two tough weeks .
  • Options
    Getting most of the work done.....in the middle of a company merger here so I will be quiet posting as time is limited...
  • Options
    "Bill Manard"  with those temps, I do the work on the trainer to drive quality indoors using a fan and gears to simulate climbing......
  • Options
    4.5km swim, 3hour run, 5 and 3.5hour bike = ouch.  Gonna try and get ur done. Will try to remember to post in here how the week goes.
  • Options
    Did 2 swims yesterday for a total of 7650 meters, the shoulders were burning on the last sprints during the 2nd swim

https://www.strava.com/activities/1099145456

and 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1099403943

Today is the interval run and another swim tonight when kids go to bed.

Planning to do the last long run on Thursday morning if work doesnt get in the way.

almost there team !
  • Options
    HUGE swim day @Francis Picard!  And right with ya @Brenda Ross ... Targeting 2.4mile RR open water (yay!) swim tomorrow ... 3hr/18mi run Thurs ... 5 hr bike is priority for wknd ... we have family in town so 3.5hr may be shortened or sacrificed ... we'll see ... still ouch-worthy tho ...
  • Options
    7650 meters of swim sounds great for a weekly total.  To do that in one day is way out of my league.  My arms would quit or fall off.  Huge day FP.

My weekend was a total loss.  :-(  Bad weather, no trainer, family commitments and no motivation resulted in one good but short ride and nothing else.  The only good thing to come out of the weekend was that I got all of my bike maintenance done.  I swapped to an 11/28 cassette (from 11/25) and to a 50/34 chain ring (from 53/39).  I also waxed a chain, adjusted derailurers and did some odds and ends.  All of that needed done ASAP, so at least the weekend was not a total loss.

Yesterday and today have been good, so my downhill slide has stopped and I'm climbing again!

Looking forward to the run race rehearsal on Thursday!

It's almost game day!
  • Options
    @Clark Mitchell you can also see that week end as a nice rest before entering the last stretch which might help you get some quality in Thursday's big run and huge week 18 !

Did the 5X3' @ z5 during lunch time.. seems like I lost count and went for 6X

https://www.strava.com/activities/1101035627

I feel like I lose a bit of speed compare to where my run fitness was before 70.3MT.. but I guess its normal since I cut off the 1X1M increase per week up to 13X1M @ z4 in the last long run for my HIM build. I guess it is what it is now.

Also did a 5X600M

https://www.strava.com/activities/1101725468

I am getting bored going to the pool.. good thing this swim training is also coming soon to an end =)

Tomorrow morning I will do Friday's swim, hopefully that will give me a total of 16k swim week which was my goal to achieve on week 17.. get well rested for next week which is our monster week.

• Options
    Enjoy the last long run today team !! Leaving for mine after breakfast.

conditions are perfect !
  • Options
    This week's 2.4 mile swim and 18 mile run (soggy) in the books!

• Options
    Checking in !

This week was a huge swim week for me, total of 16k that ended with a RR
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1102330279

If I can get that speed on race day..

Thursday was the final long run.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1104130195

Really happy even if I went a bit over with the milleage and got a bit scared when the garmin closed when on the bridge.. decided to run back to home get my wife's watch and the garmin reopened. Focus on hydratation during that run, didnt feel too crapped after.

Friday :

Did a long ride to test how the legs feel after a long run
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1105839897

It's a super nice ride, except I should had turnaround after the small island you see on the North of the city.. the ride to home is just plain awful and full of lights and dangerous. I will do the same ride for my RR next week except I will turnaround after the island or when I get to 90K.

Today will do the Bike tshold workout.

CTL is 146.5 and TSB is -37.1, that means tomorrow will also be an easy zwift session to get well rested for next week.

I am doing my camp days on next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

How is everyone going ?

Bibs are also out, looks like we are all in the same area (420ish...) and that's a great place to be as you dont have to run throught the aisle as its the last row in the back so easy to locate

I am bib 421

@Shaughn Simmons
    I wasnt able to find your bib number ???

• Options
    @Rory Gumina

Excellent job on getting it done !! Looks like you ran in IMMT's 2016 weather hah.. :)
  • Options
    Strong S & R pacing @Francis Picard! ... and great long Bike day so soon after the long run!

I'm bib 443 and was curious about the the numbering scheme (IM newbie) so from your note guessing they put Team EN together ... which is awesome!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard I am bib 428.  Solid work this week and good luck with CAMP!

@Rory Gumina Yes, Team EN will be together.......great job on the long ride this week!

Stay safe and focused all!

SS

• Options
    Great work everyone! Looks like I didn't get my team affiliation entered right so my number isn't grouped. Oh well. Looking forward to finishing this final push towards race day!
  • Options
    Excellent work all...cannot believe race day is just around the corner!

i posted this in the gear forum but will also ask this group....what size tires is everyone riding on race day? I have least had 23's however hear that 25 is supposed to have less rolling resistance. My tires are cracked so time for new ones....and debating in my head which way to go. Appreciate if anyone has thoughts/experience!

Dawn
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22584/whats-the-current-best-practice-on-training-wheels-and-tires

I'm still on the 23 band wagon.....short thread attached.

Key for all right now is to stay healthy and don't do anything stupid during our last big training week.

1,400 TSS for me this last week....not sure I can hang on this week but moving forward....

SS
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass
    I use 25 for the disc and 23 in front, dunno if thats bad or not.. I just changed to 25 in the back because thats how the wheel was built.

Camp day #1 in the book!

Swim:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1110340849

Decided to race IMMT without wetsuit, I am pretty sure that the reason why I cant get same OWS time.

Bike:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1111019450

Was a warm day here today, so really paid attention to the nutrition and hydratation and on execution, avg speed is below the targeted pace but thats mainly due to lights and stops and places where I had to slow down. Happy with the execution and how my day went.

90% of the HR was in zone 2

Tried to focus on keeping cadence and steady power but realized its impossible with all the stops and lights.

Got caught in the rain in my way back on the bridge coming back home

Run : 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1111135258

It was really cool after the storms, so that explains why I could ran that fast, that wasnt suppose to happened !

Tomorrow another 112M and a 30minutes brick.

Stay safe outside, I almost got hit by a car during my run and litteraly kicked the back light and that dumb stupid jerk never saw me!