Home General Training Discussions
Options

What do you do when you are racing if....

You think back to Coach Rich's "Zen of Peeing" on the bike podcast and you still can't do it?  Are their any rules or regulations stating you can or can't just pull over (if no spectators are around) and do a Tour de France style pit stop?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ironman Rules of competition "2.01... (n) Avoid indecent exposure and public nudity at all times during an Event. Indecent exposure/public nudity may result in a disqualification."

It's hard to imagine an Ironman where you've got even 30 seconds without any competitors going by on the bike leg, thus it seems you'd be risking "indecent exposure". I've done this once during an IM with no penalty, but it seems best to rely on the porta potties which are at every aid station, 10 miles apart
  • Options
    @Al Truscott

I read that rule in the past, I was just wondering how much it was policed in areas that are way outside the visibility of spectators.  I can honestly tell you that I do not have the Zen of Peeing in my training plan..  :-)  
  • Options
    Seen it many times but a clear DQ if caught.  Like littering it is an offense to the local community, potentially jeapordizing contract renewal.
  • Options
    You can 100% pull over and pee, IF you keep it in your pants.  It's the whipping it out that gets you DQ'ed, not the urination.

Pro-tip - Peeing at a stand still will flood your shoes, you need the wind blasting by to get most off your legs before it hits your shoes.  I am reminded of an @johnwithrow race report.  He stopped to fix a flat and thought he would multi-task and pee in his shorts while working the tire problem.  He flooded his shoes, but that is his story to re-tell.  :)
  • Options

@Al Truscott

I read that rule in the past, I was just wondering how much it was policed in areas that are way outside the visibility of spectators.  I can honestly tell you that I do not have the Zen of Peeing in my training plan..  :-)  
    It's totally not a big deal.  NOT kidding at all.  I suggest you practice it.  Find a nice little downhill and let it fly.  But, don;t wear socks...
  • Options
    I recall reading about an athlete getting DQ'd in Placid 2 years ago for peeing on the side of the road. So it seems best to keep it in your shorts or wait for a porta-potty. I've yet to try going while riding, but I can't even bring myself to go in my wetsuit.
  • Options
    I've conquered the peeing in the wetsuit but that took some practice. I even tried it while running, just to see if I could. I am not an age group winner so I will seek out my port potty's.