Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2017 IM Louisville- Week 13- Bike Bump

Week 13 - Knowledge burst

Hey Team! Sorry for the delay, just getting back from Canada.  How did the weekend go?? Does anyone have any races coming up? This week the talk is about to insert a race in your Ironman training.  Take a listen and get some ideas! Coaches like to have you break up your race season into A, B, C races and this is traditionally the last weekend you can have a 70.3 leading up to your full.

This week is a Bike Focus Week. Coaches have strategically put in some volume bumps within the plan to prepare you for your race! This will be a chance for your to push your boundaries in cycling. So what do you have on your plan for cycling this week? Going anywhere beautiful and exciting to enjoy the time outside?

A couple more notes: Make sure you are tweaking your nutrition plan as needed!! And write these things down...what works, what doesn’t??  

So now I turn it over to the fantastic Louisville Crew- I want to hear all about your training weekend and what you learned.Let’s GET IT!!!

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  Roka- Check out this AWESOME gear!

We are honored to have the opportunity to support Endurance Nation

T-EndurNat-25 This will give you 25% off on swim products, such as wetsuits, swimskins, swimwear, and swim equipment. It is valid through the end of the year.

T-EndurNat-RUN20 This will give you 20% off run products. It is valid through the end of the year.

T-EndurNat-CYCLE20 This will give you 20% off non closeout cycling products. It is valid through the end of the year.

T-EndurNat-SG20 This will give you 20% off sunglasses. It is valid through the end of the year.

T-EndurNat-TRI20 This will give you 20% off triathlon apparel. It is valid through the end of the year.

These codes are used when ordering from our website, www.rokasports.com.  We ask that you're discreet with the discount code and refrain from sharing it with non-club members  Please do not ask retailers to match your team discount.  Please note that the code is not active during a site wide sale and you cannot combine your team code with any other discount.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Laura Becker - Fantastic job at IMMT last weekend!

@Paul Curtin - I believe I can make that weekend work for riding the Louisville course  (September 22-24).  Is anyone else interested?
  • Options
    Sorry for the lack of participation.. I should be back fully starting today.. 
    been doing as much as I can in the last 4weeks recovering from LP, among them was running a 1:36 half mary last weekend that beat me up more than i expected. 
    Moved my daughter into college  this weekend in Cleveland and managed to get in 3 good runs and a great swim, next two weeks are soft at work and planning on upping my game, particularly next week.

Also, promise to be a better part of the online dialogue here
  • Options

Looking forward to another solid week of training. What are you doing to bump the bike volume this week? In the intermediate plan, it is scheduled for 7h15min. Anyone adding in an extra ride or additional time to the weekend rides? Curio

For you TP experts, especially @Paul, I currently use the free version and log all my training to track my data. What is the value in going all in on TP? Pro's/Cons? Thanks!

• Options

Moving forward as planned.  I've punted the Big Bike Week to next week in order to coincide with free time on Labor Day weekend, and will continue to try to repatriate my run speed for now.    Otherwise, I'm riding on a road bike until ~5 weeks out, and time in the saddle is short, sweet and to the point. 

Really looking forward to hearing some tactical thoughts on the bike course - I did this race a zillion years ago, but can't recall just how "rolling" of a rolling course it was, and where there might have been opportunities for free speed.   

• Options
    Hey, all. Getting back from the great Eclipse 2017 in Bryson City. It was truly an experience to remember!  Going to have to shuffle things around a bit this week because of the trip and kids sports games starting this weekend.  The long ride will be Sunday rather than Saturday. Per the Intermediate plan, it's calling for 9-12 hrs on the bike. Not sure I'll make that but will do my best to bump up the volume.
  • Options
    Hey all! back from MT since yesterday. Was  great week end overall, this week for me is a full recovery week and slowly getting back into it by the end of next week.

Need to figure out how to adapt the plan considering I will be back during week 15. Will run this through Patrick
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - Great idea!  I believe you and Patrick will be on the same plan, since Kona is the day before Louisville.

For this weekend, I am planning on doing my normal Saturday ride (5hrs).  For Sunday, I am planning on getting on Zwift 2 hours before the Team EN Sunday Zwift ABP Ride.  This will get me the four hours and a total of 9+ for the weekend.

Last week I was questioning what Training Peaks was giving me for rTSS.  Thanks @Paul Curtin for the help.  When I changed my long run to hrTSS, it have me less TSS (I was expecting more).  I knew my setting must have been wrong.  After a couple of hours of obsessing over the calculations, I decided to do a one hour (about) run test yesterday in place of the mile intervals.  I am so glad I did.  First, it was an awesome workout!  I have not raced in a long time, and it felt good to push myself (especially once it was done). Second, I found that my threshold pace setting in Training Peaks was way too high, and giving me too much rTSS for run workouts.  I updated my rTSS for all of my runs for the last 5 weeks.

I learned that my run threshold pace is 7:36 and my VDOT is 43.  This is about 3 points lower than a couple of years ago when I was really focused on my run.
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - congrats on a great race at MT. I am interested to see how your recovery goes. I buggered mine up doing a half mary as a race in week 3... so my recovery has been extended. This is my first real week of normal training and I still don't feel like my normal power has come back. 
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan - great info on the testing process and results. Interesting thoughts on TP, I know @tim cronk - is very focused on the input #s being right, after all, without those, the info is garbage. I've refined mine pretty well with help from smarter people. I think having a couple of valid tests a year are important.

My week progresses. This is my first week trying to hit normal training routine. Was a bit off having had a disastrous travel day back from dropping Ally at CWRU in Cleveland, Should have been home feet up in bed by 11PM, got to that at 1:30am :s  

Monday - Short run
    Tuesday - Longer run with Intervals
    Wednesday - FTP bike, albeit at the lowest end of the range & couldn't do more than the 1st 2 intervals (12' & 15')
                        Strong 7 mile run in the afternoon followed by a 4300 yard strong swim
    Thursday - 12 mile run, was hoping to be 14-15, but realized by mile 4 that wasn't happening, hammies are pretty sore from the LP / Half Mary combo.. hoping that loosens up, will call masseuse over to my house stat! 

Looking to roll into a big tri week next week as it's stoopid slow at the shop.
  • Options
    The week continues to progress. I have been finding that Thursday is always a good test of mental toughness with the split long run. Today proved to be no different, I did cut the 2nd run 5 minute short but had some time in the bank to cover it. Getting ready to turn up the bike this weekend, looking at 4.5 hrs Saturday and 2.5 hrs Sunday, to match the almost 2 hrs in the bank already. Things are shaping up nicely!
  • Options
    @Laura Becker x2 in a great race!! Way to crush it.

It's great seeing how everyone's week is going and weekend plans.  I had to treat this week as a bike recovery week as I'm out of town moving my daughter into an apartment at Univ at Buffalo and staying the weekend to watch her volleyball tournament. On the plus side, I'm getting good and longer sleep! With morning temps in the upper 50s and highs in the lower 70s, I've had great runs at my prescribe paces.
    Monday, swim; Tues, FTP bike/run; Wed, intervals run, Thurs, swim/run; Fri will be split LR, Saturday will be long swim/run. Sunday travel/rest day.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan @Paul Curtin, I'm interested in riding the course Sep 22 weekend. Would move camp week #2 a week early.
  • Options
    Scott Dinhofer
    That will be my first time another race that close, so will be a learning for me. So far I didnt do much other than walking, but starting to feel the need to come back to training and its tuff to resist as I dont want screw my recovery.

It gives me time to think about my last execution and have a clear idea on how to approach the next 4 weeks of training

• Options
    to the Zwift geeks, is there a way to load the Louisville bike course on zwift ? I am pretty sure I've seen this somewhere in the forums but couldnt find it

thanks!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard sort of. Best Bike Split will allow you to download the course as a trainer road or Zwift workout. You can then ride the course in workout mode in Zwift. It will give you about 350 intervals of goal watts.  I actually tried to do this today and got bored and went outside. 

It would be even better if you had a smart trainer and could do it in erg mode. 

If you don't use Best Bike Split, I could email you the one I created. I beleive our FTP is similar, but you may be a little lighter. 

There should be a folder in documents/zwift/workouts. You just stick it in there and then open Zwift. 

• Options
    @Brian Haganyes please would be great if you could email it, seems I cant delete the one I created for IMMT and I dont use premium.. yet
  • Options
    Wow, haven't posted all week ... it's been pretty busy.  Spend most of the week in Cleveland at a client site, with long days and not much free time.  Training was impacted, but I needed an easier week anyway

Yesterday was a great day with a 100-mile ride with a 4-mile brick run.  I discovered that Tailwind tastes horrible when it's warm.  Going to try for a longer run this morning instead of biking
  • Options
    Regarding TrainingPeaks:

@Jeff Kane -- the value in the premium account is the ability to plan future workouts, and better predict changes to CTL and TSB.  I've got all the WKOs loaded through October 15 and it's nice to see the trend; but critical to plan the right taper over the last two weeks

@Brian Hagan -- it looks like my bike numbers are off.  Yesterday's ride scored a 387 TSS with power but a 293 with hrTSS; that seems like a pretty wide swing
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin That may be a good topic for the main forum, but I think its a sign of some great aerobic fitness.  Your long aerobic fitness has surpassed your anaerobic fitness (maybe).  I've noticed on my long rides that my HR is pretty low compared to where it was a month ago. I suppose it could also mean that your FTP is higher than where it's set. I assume you are talking about the bike.

Things to to think about on these longer run/rides.  

• Options
    No bike bump for me this week, but able to build swim and run durability.  Seeing some good Strava numbers from our IMLOU crew ...  @Brian Smith you crushed it this week, great work!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan and @Derrek Sanks
    THANK YOU!!

And way to get it done this week team!! Keep the momentum going!!! 
  • Options
    So I have not said anything because I did not want to jinx myself.  Plan was to add a couple ABP rides and treat this week like run durability except applied to the bike.  Got in 2 extra sessions at 2 hours each and extended Saturday a little.  Got in 11h 42m of bike this week for my largest total bike week mileage ever.  So a good bike focus week for me.

I also got in a couple good swims along with some elliptical running.  I know I cannot gain enough swim speed before the race  to make a real difference so just trying to lessen the impact of the swim by working endurance.

Run is limited by achilles right now so still working the elliptical.  Seems to be getting better and almost healed but waiting as long as I can so that I do not reinjure it.  The way I see it right now is if all I do is elliptical til the race but I am healthy on race day then that is where I will be and we will see how the run plays out on that day.
  • Options
    Finally had the week I was looking for, legs still hurting from IMLP/ 1/2 mary, but moving forward
    1100 TSS, strong SBR week, rolling forward into attempting a big tri week with what is a very dead week in the office. 
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin

Thanks Paul...I have taken the liberty to move around all the weekly workouts to try and fit them in with Family and Work to maximize my time.  I am spending about 20 minutes each Sunday night or Monday am, adjusting the planned work out days on TP so I can fit them in.  This week was a good litmus test on that strategy, was a bit fatigued at parts, but able to fit them in.  This week's changes will be a doozy with the bigger run week and the holiday next weekend with travel, we will see.  Thanks again for the input and vote of confidence!