Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Issues with Dopey 5k/10k/13.1/26.2 Plan - Intermediate - (12wks)

I was shocked when I loaded this plan. (And I loaded it several weeks AFTER completing Syracuse 70.3, so I was aerobically fit).
It starts with a VDot test.
Then the very 1st weekend has an 8 miler on Saturday and a 10 miler on Sunday. And it only grows from there.
This seems like a lot of mileage, a recipe for injury.
I have been keeping the structure but drop the miles to meet my goals.
Also, those weekend runs do not have a time frame (says 0 min), so I am guessing it is about the miles and not the time.

Comments

• Options
    You do understand the plan is "dopey" as is the nature of the race.  No offense @John Bayonne.
  • Options
    Snark is not welcome. I am pointing out the risk of injury. Not for me, I did the appropriate thing.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2017 5:47PM
    Michele, I have done the Dopey Challenge twice and will be there again for #3 in January 2018.  For me the key to training for the Dopey was backing off the intensity a bit to allow the mileage to build up.  If there were days that I was just not feeling a "workout" effort in the legs, I just ran that day at an easy pace and was able to avoid injury and focused on staying loose and healthy.  
    The huge aerobic base paid off huge once that weekend came along, and the hard part was the getting up early each day.

Specifically as it pertains to that 5k "test" during week one.  If you have been training you already know your paces, and that 5k test isn't going to change those paces significantly.  If anything during the next few weeks of building up your mileage be more conservative and use your judgement.  Getting the time on the feet & miles will pay off for you over the next few months.

If you have any questions about the Dopey feel free to ask away.  
  • Options
    @Michele Cellai - this is a twelve week plan to an event that has 48 miles in 4 days...it's aggressive to say the least and assumes a definite level of run fitness. As with any plan, you can always check in with me in the Official Coach Forum (here) to adjust the plan as written to your reality!

@John Bayone Thanks for helping out!