Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Kona chatter: Karen Smyers v PNF 1995, rehashing memories (and old posts)

edited September 26, 2017 8:41PM in Community Forum 🏠

In honour of Kona in just a few weeks, I'm posting (and inviting others to post) armchair quarterback chatter on favorite or memorable WC moments.  October means get in the Aloha spirit!     

(I posted this a few years ago in EN, and Paul H absolutely disagreed with my assessment ... let's rehash the discussion amoung the current members!)  

Rewatched that race a few days ago (youtube, search Kona Ironman 1995).  Everybody will always remember it for Paula's meltdown, which is unfortunate, because Karen executed (or seemed to execute, as portrayed by the NBC coverage) the perfect EN race.  swim?  steady.  Mile 10 on bike? steady.  Mile 56 on bike?  steady.  Mile 1 on run?  steady.  Mile 10 on run?  steady.  Mile 25.9 on the run?  steady.    I think I've watched the scene where Paula is imploding at the bottom of hualalai, and Karen is barreling around the turn from Palani AND SPEEDING UP about 100x.     

Ok ... she might have been going at z3 all day with a much higher "could" pace and effort than any of us could ever dream of, but the fact that she ran down the then 5- or 6- time winner BY NOT SLOWING DOWN to win a WC is huge. 

It's funny - the whole narrative of that race and the mythology around it is "it was Paula's, and she blew."  After watching with the EN lens, I see that it was Karen's all day long. 

Tagged:

Comments