Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

W.D.L. December 2017: Lessons Learned from Back to Back Big Races

Folks, I really wanted to share some of the lessons learned from the end of my season this year. I always considered myself to be the official "guinea pig" of Endurance Nation, and this year was no different.

Going from Tremblant to Kona to Cabo– three Ironman races in three months – was not something I would recommend anyone ever do. And yet, many of you do back-to-back races.

So I sat down to figure out what were all the positive things they came out of this experience. My hope is that you can use this information to better plan your next race. Beyond that, maybe even to plan for a season (or be flexible enough to plan for a season) that has more than one big race in it.

There's nothing anywhere that says you can only do one big race a year (ok, maybe your spouse!). If you ARE going to do more, we encourage you to really do it the right way.

Please back in enjoy this lesson and I look forward to your feedback on my lessons learned as well as your own experiences and input as well.

Thank you!

~ Coach P

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/70doy6cwtf?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=400

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Definitely a report powered by caffeine! My reactions off the cuff:
    • Multiple races separated by 12+ weeks are not what you were talking about. There is a different protocol for them. Nor are you talking about shorter races...70.3 timing is not as simple as halve the IM timing. Another topic
    • IMs separated by 1-6 weeks can be done with good attention to the timing, volume, and intensity of workouts. My takeaways: swim within 3 days. JRA cycling after 4-5 days. And start running when your legs stop being sore.
    • DO NOT attempt any "speed work" for running: no intervals, no 5K or 10K races, nothing faster than TRP or MP. However, don't be afraid of volume. It's OK to consider 1 or 2 long runs of 110-135 minutes at our usual long run training pace.
    • Cycling - you've just done a race simulation, so don't worry about a 5-6 hour bike, but 4-5 hours is just fine, again x 1-2. Fine tuning nutrition and hydration on these long wkos is a great opportunity to correct any mistakes from the first race.
    • Speaking of mistakes, make sure to catalogue execution opportunities for improvement, than implement on race day.
    • Specific to running hydration and nutrition, a point I often find myself emphasizing in reaction to race plans...DO THE MATH! If you know, like Coach P, you'll be by hitting 7-8 aid stations/hour, take a minute to figure out how much fluid "2 cups per aid station" will be, and whether that matches what you know you can handle from your long runs, etc. Likewise with calories. For us mortals, who are hitting 5-6 stations per hour, its still critical. Many people either underestimate, or never even consider just what they will be trying to ingest in terms of total fluid and calories if they follow their plan.
    • It might even be worth learning what a "sip" means to you. Since the cups are never equal in volume, you don't really know how much fluid you are taking. Learn how many ounces 6 of your normal sips while running/walking actually is. Similar attention to the details of how many calories 6 sips of coke have, or 6 sips of GE or two shot bloks.
    • All of that math while racing will go along way to keeping your head "in the moment". We all know how hard it is to do math while running, but it is imperative to follow one of my favorite dictums: "Pay attention to your nutrition and your pace, and you time and place will take care of themselves."