Home General Training Discussions
Options

What does everyone do for Recovery between workouts?

I am  trying to figure out the best way to get the most out of my recovery everyday during this OS plan.

Would love some suggestions and input. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    For my "active recovery", it's dog walking.

For "real life", it's job, kids - anything but sweating.

Mike
  • Options

I wrestle with my kids.  They kick my arse. 

I try to do a lot of stretching and some leg strengthening and core work.

More than anything, I try to do house/family stuff.

Dave

• Options

When the workouts get longer and tougher and the body is telling me it needs a break, I'll take 1 to 2 ice baths a week.  First 2-3 minutes are brutal ( good mental six pack training)  but I love how it makes me feel.

Also proper post workout recovery drink and nutrition is a must. Using Enderox recoverite

• Options

Sonic Grape Slush on Friday with my kids after school.  My day of rest.

• Options
    Wendy's half choc/half vanilla frosty after a chipotle chicken burrito. Can only do this once in a while due to my lactose intolerance, and I have to EARN it...that's not an every workout-kinda meal otherwise I'd be 300lbs.
  • Options
    Paul Stone. Are you the Paul Stone with the Palestine Herald (Texas)? 2X Badwater finisher?
    Jay
  • Options

Well seeing my Texas people and their awesome recovery drinks I want to ride with yall! haha

• Options
    Posted By Jay Bearden on 18 Nov 2009 01:59 PM

Paul Stone. Are you the Paul Stone with the Palestine Herald (Texas)? 2X Badwater finisher?

Jay

No sir I am not.  

• Options

Use the foam roller and tennis ball religiously. When to going gets tough, weekly yoga class. Monthly massage.

• Options
    Does drinking heavily count?
    Some good advice here. I could use a massage. On 4 days in a row of training plus tomorrow's workout will equal 5. I cannot wait till Friday.
  • Options
    Same as others, I chase my kids around. I try to dial my workouts down about 15' (bike) and 5' (run) from home so I can walk last bit to cool down (b/c that's still "my" time). Compression socks after long/hard runs, etc.

P
  • Options
    I am ALL about my compression sleeves!! I wear them to work all day long! I wear them after any hard workout!

Staying hydrated, rolling on foam roller and TP kit and most importantly eating healthy.

I try to get as much sleep as possible. Make sleep a priority!!!

Carrie
  • Options
    pretty religous about stretching on this end. nightly while watching TV and some foam roller action as well. the harder I'm working, the longer I'm down on the floor working to keep everything in tip top shape.
  • Options
    I pretty much just try to stay active as I have found I do much better with active recovery than sitting around. Usually this just means walking, swiming, jogging, or what ever else I can do to move around.

The other key for me as been to eat right after every workout.

At the first sign of any unusual tightness or soreness, I get out the foam roller and trigger point torture devices. If if doesn't go away in a few days it is time for a massage.

The only time I do anything specific to recovery is if I run over 2 hours or bike hard over 3 hours. Then I do an ice bath and break out the compression socks.
  • Options

I always have a recovery drink immediately following a hard workout and then eat a good meal soon after that.

Hydration is an all day job.

I try to eat well in general. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein. I do have a problem with dessert but it's my only serious vice so I go with it.

After long hard runs I will take an ice bath. 10-20lbs. of ice in the tub for 10-15 minutes. Yikes!

I use compression gear too. I have some socks, shin sleeves and some full tights. This stuff works.

I also stretch and use the foam roller.

I don't get enough sleep but when I do I really notice the difference.

• Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 19 Nov 2009 03:48 PM

I do have a problem with dessert

Does he ever! But the first step is admitting it. His FB dessert posts have sent me to my cupboards on almost a daily basis!

I do the Triggerpoint rolling 2x/day, virtually every day. I do it briefly before a workout to get some blood flow going, and after if I have time. If I don't I do it at night. Getting our new puppy four months ago has added a lot of extra walking into my routine, which I love. I haven't walked for the sake of taking a walk this regularly ever. I do think it gently helps with stiffness.

Oh yeah, forgot to say compression recovery wear. Full tights or shorts and socks, depending on what's clean. The recovery tights go to client visits under my nice work pants! image

• Options
    Does he ever! But the first step is admitting it. His FB dessert posts have sent me to my cupboards on almost a daily basis!

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm a . . .
  • Options
    I find a mix of compression and heavy drinking works best.
  • Options

Thanks Guys this has been helpful!

Sounds like some of you guys must have an industrial ice maker at home!

Now apparently im going to have to look at Matt's facebook for desserts!

• Options
    Sounds like some of you guys must have an industrial ice maker at home!

I go to the local gas station and get several 20lb. bags. We have an extra freezer in the basement!
  • Options
    I'm sure I'll get dirty looks for this one but... Mountain Dew. After my toughest workouts, nothing gets me back on my feet faster than an ice cold can of Mountain Dew. Last year, when I was doing 7 hour bricks in prep for IMAZ (on the MAO 20 hr/week "plan"), Mountain Dew was the only thing that would get me back up out of the ice bath to do chores and such. Certainly, I paid a lot of attention to things like good nutrition and sleep and all the other basic tenets of good recovery. But Mountain Dew is what gets me going ASAP.

Also, my secret weapon for true, healthy recovery is Fluid. That stuff is amazing.

That and pasta.

And pizza.