Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Mike Westover Boston Marathon Race Plan

Boston is here! @Coach Patrick suggested posting an execution plan, so here it is.

Weather forecast (3 days out): 43 degrees at start and 49 at finish, 90% chance of rain, headwind of 10-14 mph gusting to 30. Wind chill temps 37-44. Not going to overheat in this one!

Race goal: 2:59-3:05, depending on conditions and how I feel. My best fitness check was four weeks ago, when I ran a half marathon PR of 1:23:02 on a hilly course. Long runs and marathon training overall have gone well, so I feel good about matching my 2:59 PR on a great day. But the rain and wind will make that more challenging. Heart rate will be my best gauge of how I am responding to the weather, and should be around 165-169. My power target is 280-285W (my half marathon power would project to 290W marathon power using Stryd's formula).

Clothing: Wind, rain, and temperature combine to make this dicey. Normally for temps of 45+ in the rain I am good to race in shorts, short-sleeve t-shirt, and ball cap, and that is probably what I will do. But if the forecasted temps drop I will switch to long sleeves and possibly tights. The biggest risk is if I stop running and get nailed by the wind chill. So smart pacing and nutrition are even more critical than normal.

Nutrition: Gels 45 and 15 minutes before start, and then every 30-40 minutes while racing. With colder temperatures I will need more calories than usual. I should finish my handheld Gatorade about an hour in, and then hit the aid stations for Gatorade about every other mile (switching to water with gels). Will try for the less crowded aid stations on the left.

Pre-race: Start hydrating once on the bus. In Hopkinton, relax and find a spot to stay (relatively) warm, dry, and out of the wind. Wear extra layers and raingear, hat, gloves, extra shoes and shoe covers. Bring a trash bag to sit on.

Race strategy: Run smart out of the start. Float on the downhills with good form and reasonable power, which may mean going faster than the group at first (but don't zigzag to find open space). Miles 1-4 may be fast by 5-10 seconds per mile, then the pace should settle into the 6:50s. Draft as much as possible, since the headwind otherwise could cost 15+ seconds per mile. Conserve power uphill, aiming for 300-310W, and make up the time taking the downhills with good form. Watch heart rate closely, and keep it under 170 until the Newton hills. Remember that those hills are small compared to what I've been running in Seattle! Once atop heartbreak, soak in the crowds and let their energy push me to the finish.

Comments

• Options
    What a race! Between the headwind and my kids getting me sick the night before the race, a PR was not in the cards. I wanted to take hypothermia out of play so I went with plan B, running by heart rate, keeping it pretty easy through the top of Heartbreak and then cruising to the finish. 

Congrats to @Ross Randolph and everyone else who ran!
  • Options
    Excellent race execution @Mike Westover  on a challenging course on a challenging day!  Your patience and smart adjustment to your gameplan is a lesson to be learned.  Like IM, you have to take what the course (and weather) give you - and Mother Nature wanted hers today in Boston.  From what I've heard about record numbers of drop-outs & medical tent admissions she got it.  Congrats and way to represent Team EN!
  • Options
    Mike! Great race. Way to hang in there! Des Linden was like 20 minutes off her best and she won? So you are in pretty good company. Great result. Sorry I didn't read your race plan sooner.  :o What shoes did you wear? How did they do? I took my whole family in 2010. They ran the 5K and it was a great experience. Lots of memories.
  • Options
    Thanks Ross and Brian! I used the Asics Gel Hyper Speed 7, and they did great despite getting completely submerged a few times. The Asics is my standby for racing; I do most of my miles in heavier Mizuno Wave Riders. I do have some Nike Vaporfly 4% on the way and am looking forward to trying them out, though I’m not sure I would have used them today given the conditions.