AG 50-54

9th Ironman

FTP= ~290 (current estimate)

5 hour power = 205ish

vDot 45

height 6’3”

Weight 173 lbs

Background:

This will be my 9th Ironman. I have completed 8 different IMs never having done the same location twice…..IMLV, IMCOZ, IMTX, IMAZ, IMFL, IMMT, IMLP, IMWI. CTL has peaked at 150, but Bike/Run CTL at 113.  7 weeks out from race date I cracked/broke the 5th metatarsal in my right foot confirmed by x-ray….ran too many 40+ mile weeks in a row on concrete at age 50 and ~175 lbs.…

The Foot:  The right leg has a history of issues stemming from being ¼” shorter than the left leg.  This means the right foot does not land exactly flat but instead tends to land on the edge.  I rolled the ankle many times over the years and shredded one of the peroneal tendons.  Then learned to run slower and differently with foot leaning slightly inside for a couple of years.  As I ran more mileage and improved speed, the foot slowly starting landing on the edge again over this last year, and as a result, cracked the bone about 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks out, it has healed somewhat and I can run but I have lost speed and some Endurance.  Last week I did complete 36 miles of slow running with a 13.1 mile run as long run for the week.

Race week:

Fly to San Francisco from DFW on Wednesday.  Drive from San Fran to Santa Rosa on Thursday.

Thursday: Short run in early AM.  Complete drive to Santa Rosa and go to grocery store.  Check into house rental on Chalk Road north of Santa Rosa.  Begin going through checklists.  Begin organizing piles for gear bags. Assemble bike.  Team dinner that evening?

Friday:  Pack race bags, work through checklists. Register then drop off run gear in Santa Rosa. Drive to Lake Sonoma with bike and bike gear. Short bike ride then drop off bike and bike gear, possible practice swim to get a feel for sighting landmarks, practice run up boat ramp, memorize run through T1.  Drive bike course back to house rental.  Feet up the rest of the day. Charge all devices Dinner at 5:00.  Get ready for bed by 8.  No fiber meals.

Race Morning:  Awake by 3:00 am.  Breakfast of applesauce, cereal, protein powder, GE (~1000 cal). Work through checklist.  Sunscreen, timing chip, EN race kit, HR strap. No Special needs bags.  Drive from house on chalk road to Lake Sonoma 4:30.  Arrival at T1, body mark, pump tires, attach Garmin 810/pair.  Nutrition to bike, GE in BTA, GE in rear cage, 6 powerbar gels in bento .  Shoes on bike.  Wetsuit on and find somewhere to chill out until race time.  If allowed, 10 minute warm-up swim.  Powerbar gel with water 10 minutes before swim. 

Swim:

tinted goggles with strap under cap

line up in start area around the 1:10 group

use the first 200-300 yards as warm up and build into race pace

find fast feet to draft and stay on them

one eye out of water on breath, high elbow catch, finish stroke (thumbs brush thighs not hips)

keep focus on second lap and stay on feet

at the last turn buoy, begin to mentally go through transition

swim goals: sub 1:15 if able to stay on fast feet the majority of the way.

T1:

Run ¼ mile up bot ramp with purpose without letting HR/PE blow up

wetsuit down to waist before wetsuit strippers

leave cap/goggles on until in tent

pick up T1 bag

helmet on before tent, run through tent

find volunteer on outside of tent

Chamois cream to undercarriage

ask volunteer to repack bag and the gift card in for him

sunglasses on as run to bike

gel as run to bike

at mount line, slip on shoes (will be attached to bike), mount and go

start garmin 810

T1 goals:  sub 5:00 …

Bike:

2015 Felt IA, 11-28 cassette, 808s, Vittoria Corsa speed tubless, speedfill BTA, xlab rear and downtube with gorilla cages, rudy project helmet

first short climb FTP cap of 225. 

be very careful on the descents

longer climb FTP cap of 215. 

once out of the climbing/descending section, settle in at 190W.  I may lower my power goals as it heats up.  

watch for pot holes constantly

Garmin set to lap every 5 miles which will be my reminder to half bottle from BTA

once to the loop section, assess how i feel and possibly increase power to 200W

gel at first 2 aid stations, then one every other after that

goal is 1 gel per hour average

48+ oz per hour of GE

gatorade and gels net ~410 cal/hr, 1200 mg Na+/hr

no big risks on descents

130 HR cap 30-40 miles

aid stations: take gel prior, refill BTA with bottle from rear cage prior, discard gel packet and empty bottle at beginning, point t volunteer I intend to grab a gatorade from, rack bottle in rear cage, repeat process to grab water, drink water to chase the gel, pour water over head/body, discard water in last trash of aid station

remove feet from shoes on last long straight away (recon)

Goal:  5:45; NP 200

T2:

run to bag and into tent, unbuckling helmet on the way

find volunteer on entering tent

dump bag

don’t let volunteer touch go bag

shoes on (no socks)

ask volunteer to spray sunscreen while I put shoes on.  Gift card for them and ask to repack bag.

run out removing go bag contents on the way

T2 goal: sub 5:00

RUN:

race belt, arm coolers, Garmin 920, hat on as I run out of T2

3 loops,

Walk out of T2

first 6 miles by 10 min miles and/or last hour of bike HR  assess how foot is doing….pace to include walking 30 secs.

miles 6-18, let HR climb to 140 with 145 cap, 9:30 miles and assess foot issue – focus on landing right foot flat and cadence

miles 18-22 (the last out section) assess how I feel,  how foot feels, miles 22-26, push, push, push.  Keep HR up,

6 oz gatorade at each aid station, walking only to drink.  Every 2 miles, clif blok shot caf, with water instead.  Alternate with cola after mile 18-26.  When starting cola, add in base salt.

do not walk (except at aid stations).  The only reason to walk would be if you broke your foot….  J

Enjoy the finish line

run goals:  finish  4:30 (possible)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Shaughn Simmons looks like a great race plan -- nothing I can teach the Master!  Your time goal on the bike seems conservative.  I think you'll have a pleasant surprise.  Best Bike Split has me doing a similar time at a NP around 174W and I weigh about the same as you.  Looking forward to finally meeting you in person!
  • Options
    Have a great race @Shaughn Simmons! Curious to know if you can push the bike a little harder (not much) since the run will be a little less than normal?  Looking forward to following you!
  • Options
    Thanks @Tim Sullivan @Gabe Peterson

Both of you are astute to make the same point regarding the bike.  I can push more.  It will be a factor of how I feel, temperatures, HR performance on second half of bike and one other important item:  I have a history of using the bike as a weapon on IM distance racing to offset slow swim times then running sub par on the back half of the marathon.  At IMMT, I racked up 325 TSS on the bike leg and struggle at mile 16 of run to the end....

I am balancing those items and hoping to pace a little better on the bike such that I have more strength to deal with the foot.  Though I will not be as fast on the run and the intensity will be lower, the dull pain in the foot accumulates with each mile and takes a significant amount of strength and focus to manage through.

So, going to go by feel on this race and see what transpires while using HR, power and other metrics as a secondary reference point.

SS
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons Nothing to add! Excited to meet you in person. How long are you staying in Santa Rosa? I leave Monday.
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes
    I leave Sunday for Dallas.

Can't wait to have a great day racing with you on Saturday.  Let me know if there is a dinner somewhere Thursday brobeans!

SS
  • Options
    Race strong SS! Nothing to add on your race plan; now it's all about execution. Do your "training-self" proud!  :)
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons You seem less confident in the bike power estimates that the run vdot.  Did you miss any cycling with the foot injury? You have been at this a long time so the 190 moving up to 200w does not concern me given your on the 9th IM.  

For the run I think you will be surprised with your fitness as you had a lot of accumulated mileage earlier.  As you mention it will be more managing the pain as it increases over the run course.  

Have a great race.
  • Options
    SS, hope you have a great race!  Be prepared for no volunteers in the transition tents.  There were none last year.  Hopefully they have recruited more for this years race, but just be prepared to repack your own bag.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2018 1:53PM
    @Derrek Sanks thank you bro!
    @Gordon Cherwoniak  - I built a deep bike base this year through the OS, GF and IM plan chasing peeps on Zwift.  The base is definitely intact and there - but IM is a long day and one of my main goals this year is to ride my Should vs. my Could bike split.  At mile 80, we'll see how things are shaping up and make some decisions.

@Tom Box very helpful, thanks for chiming in and putting that point out there.

Keep the feedback/guidance coming all!

• Options
    SS--  Best of luck to you buddy!  You are a leader on this team and all of the Positive MoJo you have dished out over the year will come back to you in spades on race day as all of us are sending you good vibes from around the world, I certainly will be from Minnesota!  Use that energy.  Not to push harder, but to relax at your pace.  Every time you cross a timing mat, just smile and know that you have an entire team cheering you on!

I think your race plan is smart.  I also think you will be a bit faster on the bike if you hit your goal power. Use all of the "legal draft" options, aiming for their wheel and then sling-shotting by as you pass.  Work the downhills smartly and stay aero.  Stay aero...   Stay aero... That is a beautiful area of the country to ride your bike so enjoy it!

I'd wish you luck on the run by saying "Break a leg" but you already broke part of it so never mind that.  Just go get what the day brings you and Keep Moving Forward!
  • Options
    SS, great plan, as expected. Bummer about the foot, but I still expect a KMF effort and result. Most of all, enjoy the prize for all your hard work. I’ll be watching. MR
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons....you are a leader and a veteran.  The foot issues are a bummer, but it's encouraging you had a solid week last week.   I think you'll find your long history in the sport and solid endurance foundation will carry over quite well despite the suboptimal run training.

Will miss you in Snowmass this year.   You know there is a spot opened up last minute don't you?   
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2018 8:46PM
    @ SS, go get em! That's all I have to say!

Enjoy the day!
  • Options
    9th?  Feels like you have raced a 100 IM's.   Lets get you thru this one healthy!  Lead all those EN speed demons to victory.   Good Skill KMF :-)
  • Options
    Time to get your ninja on  @Shaughn Simmons !!!

I recall you had an issue one year, perhaps it was IMWI, with the rear cassette. Just a reminder to torque that baby down.

I think if you can keep the bike TSS below your TSS at IMMT, then once you go into ninja mode on the run at mile 18 or so the adrenaline will kick in and you won’t feel the foot at all.

• Options
    @Shaughn Simmons  -- one more thought : perhaps consider placing an old pair of running shoes by the eye glass table or some other landmark at the swim exit so you can slip those on your feet for your 1/4 mile boat ramp run to T1.  This might save some of the stress on your foot.
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons our supreme leader !!! looking fwd to track you on race day. That foot issue was only a curve ball sent by your competitors, but what they dont know yet is that even an injured SS is dream crusher on race day !

Be epic as usual my friend =)
  • Options
    @John Withrow I am going to use your guidance on the timing mat thoughts the entire race!

@Mike Roberts when do we race together again?  Been too damn long! Thanks for the bump!

@Scott Alexander thank you - will try to represent strong for our Dallas EN sleeper cell on 5/12!

@tim cronk - thanks for your mojo - much needed as always!

@Tony Ledden great comments and suggestions.  I am going to follow that advice and scope out a place at boat ramp to lay some old shoes around....I need to be careful about the foot....I have tendencies to mentally push beyond pain and injure body parts.  Gonna have to manage bending the foot too much, pushing off and cracking it before the finish line.....

@Francis Picard - I'll play it smart and KMF as well as possible cuz I know Canada is watching!  Hope you are healing fast/strong!

• Options
    • You're almost there. Don't do any thing stupid now to race day.
    • Don't worry about your foot...it works, doesn't hurt, you'll be OK, just stay steady
    • One thing I don't see in the plan is WHY you are doing this race. What's gonna keep you going strong past mile 80 on the bike, past mile 11 on the run?
    • I hear they're gonna have wine coolers the last few aid stations 🤥
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons the foot is a bummer, but you’ve kept the right attitude towards it and had a solid last week. I would trust your training and experience to get this done at a higher level than you expect. Like others, I would see how you feel that day and see if amping up the bike a touch makes sense if the run won’t be there as much as you would like. I have my popcorn at the ready, have a day sir!
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2018 3:26PM
    @Al Truscott  - thanks as always.  I'll miss your personality, care, wisdom and input at this year's Aspen camp.   The newbies at your camp this year have no idea what kind of a treat they are in for!  Foot does hurt some, a dull pain, when running but nothing more.  I'll deal with whatever that means on race day.  One thing  - right or wrong, for me, IM is one of the few events long enough to actually bring me to that dark pit.  Periodically, I want to reinforce how I will make choices, move forward and manage myself under those conditions while in front of family, kids, friends, etc....sounds weird I know, but that is the One thing....

@Scott Giljum - thanks for your comments.  Bike is planned at .70 - .71 IF for now...we'll see how that goes.  Looking to be warm on the run, 86 degrees or so.  Fueling well on bike with GE, salt will also play into run game at these temps....Yesterday I went outside and rode for two hours when temps went from 86 to 88 degrees.  First time outside on a bike in 6 or 7 months.  Easily drained 96 ounces of GE due to heavy sweat loss.  IF was .68 under old FTP setting and .71-72 for current estimated FTP........goal was to check bike setup and fueling in heat.....

• Options
    Love the plan, SS.  Definitely ride the Should split; keeping it dialed back will help maximize focus for the run.  Hopefully the foot won't bother you at all and you'll smile the entire way

Leading the EN peeps as only you can ... enjoy the day!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin
    Thanks for the support!  Traveling in less that 12 hours to the battle site.  Hoping to stay in my box!
  • Options

SS,

Nothing to add to the above. I'm sure you will handle whatever curveball is thrown your way on race day. Will be watching... good skill.

• Options
    Good skill SS.  I hope you have a great day!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons- will be watching from across the pond - hope you have a great race!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons Your plan is good. Follow it and use your steel focus to execute. I'll be watching.
  • Options
    Sending Motor City Mojo to help block out that foot pain come the run.  Everything else you got handled in spades!  Love how smartly you are attacking the day.  Till Saturday!!!