Home General Training Discussions
Options

Help Needed! Heart rate spike when beginning a race swim

I need some help.  I have Ironman Boulder coming up and I want to fix some things from IMTX.  At Ironman Texas I experienced a massive heart rate spike when I started the swim.  I wasn't panicked and I wasn't being swum over.  For the first 200 yards I just breast stroke/frog kicked, waiting for my breathing to slow down.  I was unable to put my head in the water.  It wasn't that my face was cold, I was panicked breathing even just floating there in my wet suit.  I didn't feel stressed, just pissed off and questioning if I could do this swim.  Eventually I was able to get my head under to a few strokes.  By the time I was 400 yards in I was in long swim mode.  

Here are the facts as I can best lay them out.

• No open water swims since my last race in November.
  • This happens in almost all of my open water race swims.
  • I did not jog or do cords before the IMTX swim.
  • For this build, from 1/1/2018 to 4/27/2018 I swam a total of 104k yards.
  • Water temperature was ~72 degrees.
  • The swim was a rolling start and I seeded myself in the mid-back of the 1:30-1:40 group.
  • I swam a 1:29.  Previous PR was 1:41.
  • At the pool I typically hop in the water and acclimatize while I put on my goggles, cap, swim-mp3 and tempo trainer.
  • I have swim cords and use them occasionally at home, but never at the pool pre-workout.
  • A lesser version of this occurs at the pool during my warm up (~400 yards).  This often results in me shortening swim sets.
  • I dread long swims and typically do not swim sets longer than 200 yards.  I often do 50 or 100 yard reps over and over.
  • I feel out of breath and never relaxed while working out.  I haven't been able to find a pace/gear that slow enough that I could just "swim all day."
  • My favorite "toys" to use at the pool are the buoy and snorkel.  I've cut them both to 1/3 of the total swim yardage of a given workout.

So what do you recommend I modify for my training sessions and race morning?
How do I find my "swim all day" mode?
Should I run and really work up a sweat before I queue up at the swim start?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Chris, this happens to me from time to time and here's my 2 cents.
    1. Adrenalin! At the start of the race you're swimming much faster than it feels/than you think you are and quick get winded. Imagine how you would feel if you ran the first mile of a marathon at Z5 pace. My trick to not start too fast is to do catch up swimming the first 200-400 yards. 
    2. If you prefer to start off fast then during race rehearsal swims, practice swimming the first 400 fast (make yourself get that out of breath and I still have 2 miles to swim feeling) then settle into your race pace. Also, during the first 400 sight 2-3 times each length to simulate a race start.
    3. If possible, do a swim warm up before the race. If not do exercises to get your HR elevated.
    4. If this was the first time wearing your wet suit this year, it was tiggter/smaller due to shrinkage. Unfamiliar restriction on your chest + cold-ish water can trigger that fight/flight response/panicked breathing.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Hey Chris, I am very susceptible to heart rate spikes at the beginning of a race and learned long ago that the advice to go out hard leads to disaster for me.  Going out fast is the reality for pros but I find that if I consciously start easy then I will end up with a much better race because it is going to take a few minutes before my effort and my heart rate get in sync.

Even at the pool, I like to start the first 500 really easy...either 500 straight with a pull buoy or alternate breast stroke and freestyle until I am ready to go.  And I do a lot of arm swirls before I get in the pool because I want my shoulders loose.  

Yes, you should be sweating some before you start the race.  I always take advantage of a swim warm-up if allowed, otherwise, some light jogging, jumping up and down in place, etc... anything to get my heart rate up.  And if the water is cold, I will make sure I get it on my face as much as possible before we start.

Good luck at Boulder!!!
  • Options
    I'm with @Paul Hough and @Derrek Sanks  I start the swim as a normal warmup and make sure that I  am breathing as I normally would. The catch up drill is good because it forces you to take it easy and not overwork.  The first race I did I forgot to breathe for about a minute :smile:  after I get comfortable 400-800 meters is when I'll start swimming harder. I've got a long way to go and am similar in speed to you.  
  • Options
    My suggestions @Chris Oubre are these:
    1. It’s a race so you are super jacked. Anything to try and switch your focus to just a training swim/I’ve done this a million times will help with the confidence and reduce the anxiety. 
    2. I would suggest when you are closer to race day (six weeks out or so) I would be doing lots of race distance swimming so you have that confidence. It will help you also figure out what the right pace is for you and muscle memory will take over. 
    3. I don’t know how many days a week you swim, but I would try three at least. One can be shorter intervals like you already do. One should be longer intervals because the only way you get used to it is by doing it. I personally would recommend pink mist as a way to get in the distance and work. The third day is long and steady, think race rehearsal stuff. 
    4. On race day, if you can get in the water and warm up first, that will a lot I suspect. If not, chords will work. 

At at the end of the day Chris, experience will lead to reduced stress and more confidence. At this point you just need to give yourself that experience both on race day and before. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your feedback.  How do you work the logistical cos of being able to jog for 10’ prior to the swim start?  Shoes and shorts in the morning clothes bag?

i guess I’ll try and get to transition as soon as it opens to give me time to get that jog in. 

How cloesly do you time it to queue up?  I want to minizime stress. Any other tips for keeping warm?  No room for arm circles in the swim line. 
  • Options
    Here's another thing to think about: do you take a gel 15 minutes before the start?  The adrenaline at the start can make you hypoglycemic and I believe the purpose of some simple sugar 15 minutes before the start is to ensure you have good blood glucose levels.  Hypoglycemia can definitely make you feel off at the start of a race. 
  • Options
    My thoughts:
    • +3 on Warm up, warm up, warm up. In the water if possible. If that means you elbow your way into line after warming up, so be it
    • Get in your box. Anything happening outside your skin should simply not enter your consciousness. Those other people are  not actually trying to drown you...
    • Start slow, think about only long, smooth strokes, exhaling under water, how your form feels. No thoughts about the coming race. Practice this in the pool or in OWS. It's a mind set you need to be able to call on when you enter the water on race morning.

• Options
    I'm susceptible as well.  I find starting slower as others have said helps.  But the other thing I've found is that at the start of the race with the adrenaline rushing I don't breath out all the way.  If I don't exhale all my air before taking the next breath my lungs get fuller and fuller of air if that makes sense.  Exhale all the way out until you get your rhythm.  
  • Options
    Some super great feedback. 
    @Derrek Sanks this was my first swim in the wetsuit and it felt very tight on my chest. I’ll try and get a few more in to loosen it up before Boulder. 

@Satish Punna This was the forstbeace in a long time that I didn’t have my pre race gel and forgot to bring my pre race Gatorade. I was sipping water. 

@Tom Box I was aware of the holding breath issue. It I don’t remember if I tried that as a strategy. I will add this to my race plan. Thanks. 

@Scott Giljum I’ll try and incorporate the longer sets again and use it as an opportunity to get familiar with being uncomfortable. 

@Paul Hough  @Tim Sullivan @Al Truscott  I used the “just left them go and take it easy” strategy and plan to again. I will do my best to not miss my pre swim jog. I will also start bringing run shorts/shoes and swim cords to the pool to practice this type of warm up pre swim. 
  • Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me at my last 70.3, after no OWS leading up to the race.  For me anyways, the value of getting in open water one or two times leading up to a race is huge.  The practice swim at IMTX this year was perfect, even though it was the day before.  It allowed me to have that "fight or flight" moment the day before the race instead of the morning of.

Also, have you tried integrating breathing changes to your warm up and/or long sets?  I like to do a couple hundred where I only breathe facing one side of the pool (forcing me to breathe on alternating sides every other length).  I also like to warm up by only taking a breath every 3/5/7 strokes, sort of expanding your lung capacity slightly prior to beginning the main set. 
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre -- what you've described seems like wetsuit-induced panic.  It's a feeling that I know all too well; I had it at IMLOU in both 2016 and 2017.  That swim seems similar to IMTX: there's no way to get in the water beforehand, and it's logistically impossible to use swim cords (unless you have a personal sherpa)

I believe it's due to the constriction on the chest from the wetsuit, along with the gravity of realizing you're about to start something incredibly difficult.  The issue with soap in the goggle was likely a factor

Two questions: 1) did you practice swimming in your wetsuit?  It doesn't cure the panic, but more swims closer to race day can help minimize the effects; 2) was IMTX a jump-in start?  At IMLOU we jumped off a boat dock, and that was a significant contributing issue

To address your questions:
    "So what do you recommend I modify for my training sessions and race morning?"
      ==> For training, the above posts are all good suggestions; for race day, just plan to do the breast stroke the first 100-400 yards

"How do I find my "swim all day" mode?"
     ==> Do a lot more swimming, and do video analysis of your swim form.  My hunch is you could have a flaw in form that causes undue fatigue

"Should I run and really work up a sweat before I queue up at the swim start?"
     ==> Not for an Ironman, I just don't see the value of doing that; and there's no indication that it would stop the panic
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre I'll echo a few things.  My experience for IM LP 2015 where I lost 20' due to having to hang out at a Kayak twice in the first 3-400M.  

- Get in some pre race wetsuit workouts.  I had none that year and skipped the Friday swim prior.  
    - you need to get in some longer swim sets.  Do you ever do a 1000TT or any RR swim's?  I'm not a swimmer and definitely no expert but my wife made the same comments about feeling out of breath and never feeling relaxed.  For her it was making sure she was breathing out prior to taking in a breath.  She was holding the exhale under water for the first stroke or two then trying to quickly blow prior to taking a breath.  I do this when I come back from a long layoff and it results in me not getting enough air.  As for feeling relaxed this takes time in the water for me and if you are struggling for air you won't be relaxed. 
    - someone can correct me but the snorkel should be ditched completely.  I realize this is probably allowing you to get in some longer swimming but you can obviously do it as indicated by your IM swim finishes.  In this or your previous IM swims do you have to stop or break them up once you get a rhythm?
    - To add to what Lucas said above.  I have in the past done 3/5/7 strokes in the warm up and try to work it in to the drill or faster swimming.  For example and will try to use less breathing when timing the swim golf going for 3's in the 1st 25, then 5's for the middle 50 and finish with what I can.
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre , you may want to look up Tower26 podcast and root around for podcasts for race prep.  I have been listening of late.  I am a decent swimmer and have not had your particular issues, but you NEED to practice what limits you.  Gerry has great swimming advise for TRIATHLETES and the issues we all deal with.  Very different than someone who has a high school or pure swimming background.  I'm sure several of the ideas above are included in his recommendations.  It's a great free resource!