Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Keys 100 - 50k

WOW!! I can’t believe that I was able to cut off 1 hr and 20 minutes from last year.  The Endurance Nation Team is incredible!  Their knowledge and their ability to work with people to optimize their races helped me achieve my goal. 

Last year when I did the race, I ended up getting 2 massive blisters on each foot. This was addressed and throughout the year I tried many different lotions, sprays and tapes. Subsequently, I ended up using Trislide, and this product didn’t fail me.  It lived up to the expectations.  If anyone has blister problems, I recommend the book Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof.

The race started off at 1 pm. The temperature was 84 degrees and the humidity was over 77%.  My training plan was spot on!!! I was nervous at first because I didn’t think I was getting the miles I would need but the voice of reason (my wife) said stay the course and have faith. I’m so glad I did!

The race started with a short rain storm, which felt good in the heat.  But once it blew over, the brutal sun came out and baked the runners.  As I sipped my Maurten and Nuun drinks, the weather didn’t seem to faze me.  At mile 24, I noticed I was way ahead on my time, and I made a decision to try and push for a great time, over a 2 hour PR.  However, as I became more focused, I neglected or forgot my drinking and I paid the price. Within, a few short miles, the wheels came off and my time and body suffered. I ended up in the medical tent relaxing and drinking some CVS brand adult pedialyte. Afterwards, my wife and I took our 20 minute stroll back to the hotel and shared a burger from Margaritaville. :)

EN thanks for the great preparation! I’m looking forward to my other races this year.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @George Penn 1:20 improvement at that distance is HUGE.  Big congratulations.  I 2nd that book "Fixing your Feet".  So no blisters or black toe nails?  I saw a picture of a guy's feet from the Keys 100 this year and they looked like they had been soaked for the duration (not pretty at all).  Come play with us on the Ultra Forums!
  • Options
    Tim, 
    No blisters or black toe nails. :) Trislide fixed the blister issue and VFF's fixed the black toe nails.
  • Options
    @George Penn congrats on the huge improvement!  It's hard to stay on top of nutrition towards the end of an ultra when your brain gets the Swiss cheese effect.  I have my watch buzz every 30 minutes and force myself to take down something even if it seems disgusting.  I'll have to check out that book.  I've been lucky that my super power is indestructible feet thanks to a few years in the Navy wearing terrible flight deck boots.  But my luck will run out some day, so good to be educated.

Any other ultra plans this year?