Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

My First IM Boulder race plan - nutrition mainly since the rest should fall into place

Background: five 70.3s.  All done based on RPE.  146 lbs, 6’00” 

Goal: Enjoy every moment.  Respect the race.  Execution based on smart pacing and nutrition. 

Nutrition targets based on EN calculations:

Need (146*0.625*4) 365 calories per hour on the bike.

Need (146*0.4*4) 233 calories per hour on the run.

Sweat test 1.5 bottles.  If hot then go to 2 bottles. 

Race day:

3:45am breakfast: bagel with peanut butter, banana, coffee, sip on 24 oz GE [600 calories]

"Let's dance!"

1hr before swim eat ½ powerbar, ½ banana.  Keep sipping on GE.

10 mins before swim gel without caffeine with 10oz of water.

Swim:

Do I really have to swim? Stay smooth and use this as your warm up for the next 138.2 miles. 

T1: 16oz of GE plus 1 gel without caffeine.

Bike:

Setup the run. 

First hour keep HR in the lower range ~125.  Start cross checking with power in the second hour.  Let watts grow to 142 (IF .69) – 144 (IF .70).  HR cap ~ 136.  This is my “should” all the way.  No sightseeing.  Let them have the hills - every.single.one.

First 3 hours: 1 and ½ GE bottle per hour, ½ powerbar (if hot then switch to 2 GE bottles and no bar).  If feeling good then do eat the powerbar, but after burping dial it back.

Last 3 hours: 1 and ½ GE bottle per hour, 1 gel without caffeine or 4 GU blocks (if hot then switch to 2 GE bottles and no gel or blocks) every hour.  1 salt stick with caffeine at hour 4, 5, 6 on the bike [Total caffeine on the bike 90mg]

T2:  Just smile.  You only have a marathon to run.

Run:

Be patient for the first 3 hours.  It’s going to be hot so RPE may win the day.  

Hour 1: Mile 1 - 6 (gradual uphill grade) – 4oz GE at each aid station, ½ gel without caffeine and 1 salt stick with caffeine at mile 6 (30mg of caffeine).  Keep the same HR from the last hour of the bike for the first hour. 

Hour 2: Mile 7 – 12 - 4oz GE at each aid station, ½ gel without caffeine and 1 salt stick with caffeine at mile 12 (30mg of caffeine).  Let HR climb to 140. 

Hour 3: Mile 13 – 18 - 4oz GE at each aid station, ½ gel without caffeine and 1 salt stick with caffeine at mile 18 (30mg of caffeine).  If feeling good then let HR climb to 146.  Have that "one thing" ready. 

Hour 4: Mile 19 – 24 – 4oz of Coke at each aid station (around 108 mg of caffeine per hour), ½ gel without caffeine and 1 salt stick with caffeine at mile 24.  [Total caffeine on the run ~ 228] Do not slow down.  

After Mile 24: skip aid stations if feeling good or get some soup if sodium is needed. 

Thank you for reading!  Any input is welcome :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Daria Matthews
    1. Did you practice nutrition exactly as planned on your lung days training?
    2. You have the entire bike to eat and drink, no sense doing it in T1.
    3. Caffeine is individual, when and how much to consume through the day, but your saving a lot of it for the last 6-7 miles, doubling the entire day intake in the last hour?
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews agree with @tim cronk It will take time to drink that much fluid in T1 without pounding it. The gel and a few oz should be fine to catch up from swim, if you feel you need it, but you’ll have plenty of time on the bike. Also agree about caffeine on run. Are you thinking you’ll need it more later in your race? If it’s worked for you in the past, don’t mess with it. I’m just curious.
  • Options
    @tim cronk - thank you for reading!

1. Yes, I have practiced this plan on my bike rides with a few adjustments based on the weather and whether or not there was a pre-ride run/swim etc. I have also practiced this nutrition on my long runs, but the longest run was only 18 miles so I have no idea what exactly my body will need after that point. 

2. I agree with your second bullet, however, I am only planning on having two GE bottles on the back of my bike. I'm not a strong swimmer so I will spend around 1.5hrs in the water, which means I'm about 2 GE bottles short after the swim.  If I drink 2 GE bottles on the bike before the first aid station at mile 15 I'm still in deficit.  I don't like BTA since I am not a fan of "heavy" handlebars (if that makes sense), but could use it if that would give me the additional fluids until the first aid station.  I'm open to any other suggestions and open to any ideas.  

3. Do you suggest I start taking caffeine sooner and in smaller amounts?   

@Alicia Chase - thank you also for taking a peek! Since this is my first full IM I can't say what has worked for me in the past, unfortunately.  I can't really compare this to 70.3 either since this is a whole new level. So yes, I was thinking that it would benefit me more closer to the end of the race, but maybe I'm wrong?  Do you do it differently? If so, I'd love to hear what you suggest :smile:

Thank you both!
  • Options
    Daria,  The most important part of your plan is the fact that you did practice it during training, hopefully the intensity, weather, etc will be similar on race day.  I agree that a slow swimmer comes out of the water at nutrition/hydration deficit. I still think at that point , waiting  2 more minutes to get on the bike is no big deal, settle in on the bike and eat/drink immediately (even moving 5-10 mph beats doing it in T1). If you are really worried about not making it to the first aid station on the fluid stocked on your bike then I see no other option than to consume some fluid in T1.  BTW a lot of people believe in settling the stomach after swim, I'm not one of them, but its individual and hopefully you practiced that as well.  Back loading caffeine to the second half of your day, even more on the second half of your run, makes sense, however saving such a huge amount for the last hour of the day does not, so yes maybe taking smaller amounts a bit sooner or more frequently.  FWIW I normally lightly caffeinate thru the first part of the day , and starting increasing in the second half of the bike, by around mile 20 on the run I have had just about as much as I can handle, but still drink coke till the end, total for the day being 300-400mg, I never sleep well and always feel horrible :-) after an IM.  Being this caffeine discussion is at the end of your day, I would not worry about it, stick with the entire beginning of your plan and I think you will know if you want more caffeine or not after mile 13 on the run!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2018 11:23AM
    @Daria Matthews -- a sound plan!  It was great to chat with you yesterday; your overall race strategy should play out well and help achieve your first IM finish

The nutrition plan looks great on paper, but be prepared to adapt
    • At some point on the bike your body may reject GE.  It's likely to happen after hour 3, so be sure to have a water-based backup plan that still gives you the proper sodium and caloric intake
    • Same thing for Powerbars; your body may just say no.  Okay to substitute gels and blocks, but don't add GE to replace missing calories
    • If it's hot and you're super thirsty, don't drink more GE.  Add water and increase salt consumption
    • 90 mg of caffeine on a 6-hour bike ride isn't a lot ... that's 3 capsules.  Bring more in case you need them.  And especially if you can't ingest GE ... the capsules provide electrolytes.  If you're sensitive to caffeine maybe bring some SaltStick without caffeine 
    • On the run, your body will certainly reject GE at some point.  Okay to substitute gels or blocks for the calories
    • Same thing for gels.  From mile 19 to the finish you'll be fine with only Coke and no gels
    • If you're feeling good in those first few run miles, try to take in a few more calories. That will pay off later on when you can't ingest as much
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews I am also a 1:30 IM swimmer, but I do 3 bottles on my bike—1 up front in an aero bottle. I cram a bar or gel in T1, then wait until I get on the bike to wash it down. I always have such a nervous stomach before the swim that I can’t get in a lot of calories pre-race, so that is what works for me. Since this is your first full, I would do what makes you feel comfortable and helps guarantee a successful day for you.

As for the caffeine, I think @tim cronk is right. You’ll know whether you can tolerate more caffeine by the second half of the run. Caffeine has a pretty long half-life, so whatever you’ve taken in on the bike and first half of the run should still be in your system and giving you a good boost. Just listen to your body and you’ll be good.
  • Options
    @tim cronk - perfect.  I will have some GE ready in T1, but if I don't feel the need then I will just start drinking on the bike. I will also adjust my caffeine intake and start taking it sooner. How I feel after the race is totally irrelevant so we're good there :)
    @Alicia Chase - I am thinking to go ahead and use my BTA as well.  I've raced with it before and I'm just being a baby about it now.  It will be only more beneficial to have more liquids ready before the first aid station. And you're right on - "listen to your body" - sometimes that's all we can do, actually.
    @Paul Curtin - it was soooo nice getting some awesome advice from you yesterday! Extremely valuable.
    I'm glad you brought up the "GE rejection". Yes, it's happened to me in training and water with salt sticks worked great. I'm prepared that this will happen again. I will have extra blocks/gels in my bento box in case powerbar won't work for me anymore. I plan on putting these items in my SN bag as well.
    So you're saying if it's hot I should stay at 1.5 GE bottles plus water and salt versus 2 GE bottles? I plan on grabbing water and GE at each station (throw away whatever is not consumed at the beginning of each station and get 2 full bottles). This may make it hard to track how much I have consumed, but I don't see any other way.
    Completely agree with your last three bullets.  Right on!

Thank you all! You guys are what makes this team awesome. 
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews Yes! you have to swim  :):) I have no doubt you will do great!  Sounds like you are getting things dialed in and it will all fall into place on race day.  Can't wait to track you and cheer you on from GA.  All the best!
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez that's a real bummer about the swim :wink:

Thank you! You keep up the great work!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2018 1:12PM
    I like your plan.  Very well done.  I have done better holding off on the caffeine until about mile 80 of bike then slowly ramping thereafter.  Follow what you have practiced in your training.

I have never experienced and IM were 1 or more unexpected issues/surprises haven't come up.

The best laid plans can be dismantled if/when this happens.  It is all about the choices you make when the surprises manifest themselves, i.e., flat tires, mechanical, cramps, stomach issues, etc....  Many of these issues can be overcome by simply taking a minute to calm down, think through what is happening and re-committing to get back on track then following through.  Chances are, many of your competitors are having some sort of issue as well.  Maintaining self confidence at all times, holding that line and making smart choices throughout the day will result in a great outcome.  I'll be tracking you.  Have a great race!

SS
  • Options
    Thank you so much for reading and for your advice @Shaughn Simmons

I will keep your words in my head all day long.  I've had a flat before, I've dropped my nutrition on the bike course, I've raced with the worst plantar fasciitis, I've lost a bottle.....but these "little" things happened during a half.  Any small errors will have a much bigger impact during a full IM.  I'm pretty sure things won't go as planned since life would be way too easy, but I love your advice on just taking a minute to re-commit.  I've gone over different scenarios in my head on what everything could happen and how I'm going to attack that issue. I think I'm mentally there, but we all know that the true test is on Sunday.  I plan on crossing that line no matter how.

Thank you again and happy training! Btw, I love Texas :smiley:
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews I can't improve on the advice above.  It's been fun following your journey.  You've done all the work -- you've got this!  Enjoy the day -- having Mike Reilly call me an Ironman for the first time is still one of the best days of my life.  I'll be cheering for you!
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson - thank you! I'm super excited for tomorrow!