0:04:56

RUN

2:45:00

2:54:49

TOTAL

6:46:00

7:48:52

Nutrition:

A.M. Egg whites, 2 eggs, spinach.  Bullet proof Coca.

Before swim,

10 Bodyhealth amino acid pills,1 scoop of UCan with 1 Scoop of base salt.,Sip on Nunn.

T1:

2 scoops of U Can.

Bike:

6 bottles of Nuun, Base salt, Bodyhealth amino acids, pre-workout.  2- ½ Bananas on course. 1- E Gel an 1 Cliff block.

Run:

2 bags of 1 scoop UCan, Base salt, 1 bottle of nuun with base salt(4 refills if needed) cliff blocks. 2- ½ bananas on course.

************************************************************************************

Travel: 

Wednesday – Drove 11 Hours with stops and slept the night.

Thursday – Drove 3 hours with stops

Arrive:

Day 1: Thursday at 1 PM, Lunch, check in, un pack, grocery shop.

Biked the trail for 5 miles, power meter was not working. (pre-trip- bike tune up and all new batteries) Looks like a visit to the bike mechanic in am.

Bed by 10 PM.

Day 2:

I was curious how many actual steps it took for check in. So, I wore my gamin that day and logged 14 miles which included a 2-mile run. Defiantly need to make note for the next race…. Feet up!

Friday 9:30 AM Bike mechanic, not open so we walked around until 11 AM. The check in line was extremely long so we did not want to wait. Went back to the mechanic at 11 and discovered the new battery that I installed the day before was bad.  Thankfully it was a simple fix.  We went to test the waters with a 1400-yard swim, floated around for a while then returned to shore. The water was cold but not unbearable, decision made no botties or swim cap in am.

I wanted to check in, go back to the room and prepare my bags.  We were in line for 1:45 but the check in process was only 10 minutes then off we went.

Day 3:

Saturday: The plan was a relaxing morning, prepare bike for check in, morning, bike and run bags completed. (I take a photo of the contents for each bag so that in the morning I am not second guessing what I put in the bag.  A quick glance at the photo in am results in no panic!)  

Athlete meeting at 2 P.M. Checked in my bike, made sure I was in the proper gear for the mount line, covered it with plastic because of rain and called it a night.

Day 4: Race Day!

Rise and shine 4:00 A.M. 

Regular routine, shower and ate.

5:15 A.M. Walked to the transition, body marking, set up, bike & run gear, checked computer, filled water bottles, took some photos, rehearsed the swim in, run out, bike/in /out, then was on my way back to the room.

5:45 A.M. Back at hotel, spent 20 minutes in my leg compression machine.

6:30 A.M. Walk to swim start. Ate the following along the way: 10 Amino Acid pills, 1 scoop of UCan with 1 scoop of base salt.  Sip on 1 bottle of nuun.

Swim:

Seeded my self at 45/48 minute mark, wanted to be in the slow group. I’d rather swim around someone instead of being the punching bag.

The plan:

1 . Hydrate before the swim.

2. Stay in my box, start easy.

3. Find my space and rhythm. Count strokes to each buoy, keep consistent. 

4. Positive space, keep head in the game!

Execution:

I was very nervous for the swim this race but knew I would do well if I stayed focused on the above plan.

I started on the far left, stayed to the outside the entire swim. Passed the first 8 buoys with only one swim around. Made it to the first right turn and the water became choppy.  I had to breath to the other side and keep on track.  The last turn I was on my way to the finish except there was a swimmer that kept swimming in to my side.  It took me a while before I could break away from here.

T1:

I left my wet suit half on and ran to transition.  Removed wet suit, put my EN bike jersey on , sat down and put on my , leg sleeves, socks, shoes, arm covers, sun glasses, helmet , ate 2 scoops of UCan then walked my bike to the mount line. 

Bike:

Listened to Coach Patrick’s video on the bike course several times the night before the race, thanks to Trish Marshall for reminding me.  

The Plan:

Set the bike up for success at the end of the course. (lot of hills at the end) 

1.      Stay hydrated, drink 24 oz every 45 minutes.

2.      First 10 to 20 miles, stabilize heart rate, use my gears on the hills and false flats.

3.      Mile 45 to 50 prepare for run by fueling and monitor heart rate. Consume 1-  E-Fuel gel and 1 package of cliff blocks.  

Execution:

First section of the bike on Highway 117 was defiantly a slow grind and lots of patience’s.  1.5 hours in to the ride I was on track with liquid hydration. First two aid station I took a half of a banana. The turn around on highway 117 was a game changer. Coach Patrick said slow up the first half and you will make up for it on the down.  Defiantly…. Was fast and fun! Made 2 stops, fuel and port a john. When I arrived at Chemin Duplessis the hills were a challenge. Then at the U-tun on Chemin Duplessis it was free speed!  I was supposed to start fueling at mile 45, that did not happen on the hills.  At mile 50 I was able to take in my fuel.  Managed to drink 124 oz’s, The plan worked perfect!  All new respect for the athletes who did this course as a full Ironman. 

T 2:

Went as planned. Drop off bike, change shoes, EN visor and race belt with fuel. I carry a 24 oz bottle with me when I run.  Keep refilling at aid stations.

Run:

The run was an out and back with the first and last section hills.

The Plan:

Set up the run so that the race started at mile 10.

1.      Start easy with walk out of T2 until the first hill. Heart rate down.

2.      Hydrate focus on nutrition plan.

3.      Keep heart rate between 135 and 145

4.      Find my rhythm, only walk the aid stations.  

Execution:

Walked out of T2, used the port a john. As I was starting the run a friend was turning into the finish. He is an extreme athlete (like many EN peeps) all a great inspiration to me.  Stayed focused on nutrition, walked every aid station and drank water. I ate half of a banana at station 1 and 2.  I realized at mile 2 most of the runners were on the way to the finish line. I needed a distraction in the first 6.5 miles. I knew it would be lonely at mile 6.5 to mile 10. My last-minute plan change… Voilà!!! Run happy and support others along the way.  I talked, waved, smiled joked at every runner going the opposite direction. It worked! Before long I was at the turn around.  I passed runners and would talk to them as well. At mile 10.5 I started to panic. Someone asked if we were going to meet the run cut off.  RUN CUT OFF…. WHAT??????   I was on a mission at that point. I did not want a DNF after all this work. I managed to pick up speed to the finish.

Conclusion:

I finally raced the race I could, not the race I thought I should!  This was not a pr race for me but mentally and physically it was an extreme pr.   I had a wonderful time and enjoyed the people along the way.

Thank you to Coach Patrick for your advice and support.  Matt lambert at https://www.endurancedashboard.com/    for helping me read my metrics and setting goals. I have information overload when it come to all the race planning and metrics.  Matt’s knowledge and mentoring has been instrumental in my success this year. He has helped me zero in on the key points, like when I need rest not another workout and to set goals that I can achieve.  Thank you so much! 

In addition, Thank you to my EN family, Tri Chicks, TPR & BSC – Morgan Strong Team at home in the mitten.  Forever in my heart Trish Marshall, Bob Smith, john Lagloclin , they are  always waiting for me at the finish line.

Happy Racing….moving on, two weeks to HIM Cherry man in Travers City Michigan and HIM Steelhead in July!

Yvette 😊

Tagged:

Comments