Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Abbey's Long Course Weekend Wales Plan 2018

edited July 8, 2018 10:58AM in Racing Forum 🏎

Abbey's Long Course Weekend Wales Plan 2018

The Event

The Long Course Weekend Wales is an Iron Distance Triathlon based in Tenby, Wales that is spread over 3 days (13/14/15th July):

1. Friday: 2.4 mile sea swim

2. Saturday: 112 mile bike

3. Sunday: 26.2 mile run

History

After about 10 years of zero exercise I took up running (couch potato to 5km) in 2012, incorporated long swim events in 2013, and entered the Triathlon world in 2014.  Over the years I have completed a number of short and long distance events in each of the 3 x single sports and also in various Triathlons.  I completed the NYC marathon and have also completed 5 x 70.3 Triathlons.  I am now planning to complete my first Ironman in 2019.  I have chosen to do the Long Course Weekend Wales to prepare for this. The Marathon was the most difficult event I have done so far so I approach the Long Course Weekend with some trepidation. After a Winter of Run Durability, I have been following the EN Minimalist IM Plan, Level 1.

My Goals

1. To complete all 3 days.  It is common for many “Long Course Weekenders” to not start the run or drop out of the run.  I do not want to be one of them.

2. To race according to plan and to stop myself from getting excited and carried away in the swim and on the bike - I MUST leave enough in the tank for the run on Sunday.

Course Profile

This event was originally introduced as a preparation event for Ironman Wales, so the course profile is similar to the Ironman Wales course.

• The swim is a 2 lap course, in the sea with an Australian exit between each lap.  Swim conditions will be weather dependant.

• The bike course is an undulating 2 lap course on open roads.  I can’t find the official total elevation gain but I am expecting it to be approximately 7000ft (2133m).  

• The run is an undulating 1 lap course on closed roads.  Total elevation gain 1550ft (473m).

My Race Plan

Wednesday 11th July

Pack - Packing List at the end of this document.

Thursday 12th July

• Work in the morning

• Eat a good lunch

• Pack Van

• Drive to Tenby in the afternoon (approx 4 hours)

• Check-in to hotel (a local hotel in Tenby)

• Eat Dinner: high carbs, low fibre

• Sleep

Friday 13th July

• Breakfast at hotel (take Weetabix with me but I’ll have porridge if on offer at the hotel), Take vitamins, Xtreme Endurance, Beet it shot

• 10am: Register in the morning - opens at 10am - need photo ID and disclaimer

• Layout kit for each day

• 12: Early lunch

• 4/5pm:  Early Dinner or snack

The swim:  

I am a strong swimmer, so I my aim will be to get into my groove and stay within myself

• 5:45/6pm: Go to swim

• 6:30pm: official Swim acclimatisation

• 6:40: Banana High 5 gel

• 6:45pm: Swim briefing

• 7pm: Swim (expected time approx 1 hour 15 mins)

• Meet Karl (my husband) and Ted (my dog) for hugs and kisses at the end

• At the end put on tracksuit and sweatshirt to keep warm and have a protein shake or bar

• 8:30pm: Back to hotel

• Take vitamins, Xtreme Endurance

• 8:45/9pm: Dinner or snack depending on what I ate earlier

• 9:30pm: Shower, Stretch & plug in phone, garmin, lights.  Put bike kit bag otr ready

• 10/10:30pm: Bed

Swim Risks

• Lose goggles during 1st lap: ask karl to hold a spare pair which he can pass to me at Australian exit.

Saturday 14th July

The bike:

I have followed all the midweek EN bike workouts on my plan.  I have hit the hills on the weekends on my long rides to train myself for the elevation gains and I have gradually built my mileage up so I completed a couple of 100 milers and which ultimately led me cto ompleting 1 x 112 mile ride over similar elevation.  This took 8 hours 16 minutes, so provides me with an idea of how long it will take me on Saturday.

• 5:30am: wake up and have breakfast (weetabix or porridge), Take vitamins, Xtreme Endurance, Beet it shot

• 6:30am: arrive at bike start

• 7:15-8am: Bike start (1st wave): released in groups of 200 every 5 minutes . I’ll do my best to get in the first group.

Nutrition:

I will feed as I have done in training which is every 20 minutes.  I will carry all my nutrition which consists of Torq bars (½ bar per feed), Gels (1 xgel per feed):  SIS Go Energy Gels, High 5 Gels, Gu and SIS Caffeine Gels and High 5 Energy drink (250ml per feed). All have been used whilst training with no Gastric problems.  

Power/Pacing:

Smooth and Steady; I think of myself as the Tortoise; I may be slow but I will complete.  I will Warm-up for first half-an-hour, then target 70-73% power (114-120NP). This variation is due to the hills and the fact that I am not running straight off the bike.  According to my training rides HR should be around 140bpm; if this becomes elevated I will reduce power to try to bring it down.

Stop to pee when required.  This is a sportive so I don’t think it will be appropriate to pee on the bike lol.  Having said that, I may need to, as the cut off time is 5:15pm so I’ll need to keep stops to a minimum.

• 3:30/4:30pm expected bike finish

• Meet Karl and Ted (my dog) for hugs and kisses

• At the end put on tracksuit and sweatshirt to keep warm and have a protein shake or bar

• 5pm: go to massage area for my pre-paid massage, grab any food that is available

• 6/6:30pm: Go back to Hotel

• 7pm: Quick Shower, put on compression gear, Take vitamins, Xtreme Endurance

• 7:30pm Dinner, high carbs&protein, low fibre: maybe steak and chips if available.

• 8pm: air relax

• 8:30pm: stretch

• 9:30pm: Protein shake, layout run gear

• 10pm Bed

Bike Risks

• Puncture:  Carry 2 x spares plus gas and levers in saddle bag

• Drop nutrition: Utilize feed station nutrition

• Feet risks (I have experienced dagger-like pain around the 100mile mark in bottom of feet) - stop take off shoes, wiggle feet around for relief

• Go too hard which will ruin Sunday’s run:  Stick to my power/HR plan. Stay in my box.

Sunday 15th July

The run

I have followed a mish-mash of the EN run plan and my own run plan.  Unfortunately I suffered a calf strain at the beginning of March which set me back a bit, & has meant that I haven’t been able to follow all the efforts prescribed in the EN plan, but I have managed consistent run training since end March onwards and I have been run training on hilly routes to prepare for the elevation gains.  I reached 16 miles on my long runs. I am hoping my cycling fitness will help see me through.

• 6am wake up and breakfast, Take vitamins, Xtreme Endurance, Beet it shot

• 7am: stretch

• 8am: arrive at Marathon start

• Hand in bag at drop-off for the end

• Pee

• Dynamic Stretching,

• 10 min jog

• 9:45am: Marathon briefing - bounce around

• 10am: Marathon start

Nutrition:

Feed every 25mins (1 x High5 ISO Gel), drink water as needed, drink Coke if needed in last hour.

Pacing:

• Miles 1-6:  Easy: Zone 1HR / 10:30 min/mile, low HR - mid trp or lower.  6 mile split target = 63mins

• Miles 6-20: HR target is TRP.  According to my training, this should equate to 10min miles.  20 mile split target = 3:38

• Mile 20-26.2: The Zone - push through the suck. Final expected marathon target time = 4:38 (under 4:36 would be beat my NYC Marathon time).

• 2:38pm - Run up the famous finish shute being cheered on by the Tenby crowds and bask in the glory!!!!!

• Drink, eat and snack on anything available and have a protein bar or shake.

• Meet Karl and Ted (my dog) for hugs and kisses

• 3:38: get my massage (if enough time before presentation)

• 4:30pm: Long Course Weekend Athletes Presentation

• 6:30pm: Back to hotel for R&R and celebration if I am up for it

Run risks:

• Pain in bottom of feet - wiggle feet around in shoe

• Calf cramp - slow it down

• Stomach cramp - breath slow and deep

• Drop nutrition - utilize feed stations

• Negative moments - think of my One thing

Packing List:

General:

• Jogging Bottoms

• Sweatshirt

• EN Tshirt and other Tshirts

• Compression calf guards and socks x 3

• Phone

• Vitamins, Beet it shots, Xtreme Endurance tablets

• Protein bars / powder

• Photo ID

• Signed disclaimer

• Inhaler

• Deep Heat

• Germolene

• Contact lenses

• Timing straps

• Sunscreen

• Moisturiser

Swim:

• Swimsuit

• Wetsuit

• Goggles x 2

• Anti-fog spray

• Ear plugs

• Spare Hat

• Garmin watch

• Banana High5 Gel

Bike

• Helmet

• Sunglasses

• Cycling shoes

• HR pod

• Garmin 520

• Bike Lights

• Chamois cream

• Jersey

• Socks

• Castelli shorts

• Gillet

• Base layer

• Gloves

• Xlab torpedo

• Nutrition:  25 feeds required

• High 5 drink: 1 x 1000ml bottle (4  x feeds)

• Gels (1 per feed):

• 2 x SIS caffeine

• 1 x Gu caffeine

• 4 x SIS Gels

• 2 x high 5 gels

• 6 x Torq bars (12 x feeds)

Run:

• Peak/visor

• sunglasses

• HR Pod

• Socks

• Trainers

• Plasters

• Blister powder

• Shorts

• T-shirt

• Vest

• SPI belt

• Nutrition:  11 x High5 ISO gels required

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Abby,
    Great detailed plan. If you you follow your goal #2 and handle the issues as they arise you will accomplish goal number one. Make sure you have several "one things" before you start each day. It also helps to have your family planted at strategic places around the coarse to give you something to look forward too.

About your foot issues on the bike, I've had that same thing. It's too late for this race, but you need to get better fitting shoes that don't squeeze your feet. Cleat wedges my also help. During the race you can pedal with your foot on top of the shoe.

Have fun, I look forward to reading your report.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi Mark
    Thank you so much for your feedback ! All of your suggestions are great and I have incorporated them into my race plan.
    Thanks again.
    Abbey
  • Options
    Interesting format. I endorse your concern about the marathon - it may be even tougher than doing a standard IM, as your legs will have all night to stiffen up. While the Air Relax is a great first step, I suspect the morning stretching will be even more critical. If there is a sauna or hot tub where you are staying, maybe a few minutes there prior to the stretching would help. Also, keep moving (slowly, easily), on your feet, as much as you can tolerate, from the time you wake until the gun goes off.
  • Options
    Hi Abbey - looks like a good, detailed plan.  One thing to consider from a nuitritional perspective is sodium intake (especially during the run where you plan on using High5 Iso Gel and water - it looks like the 600mg per bottle that you will get from the High5 drink should be sufficient).   I know that cramps have many different potential causes, but I have found that taking extra salt (I have used Salt Stick Fast Chews with success) has helped during HIM runs when I had hamstring cramp.  Maybe this was just placebo effect, but something to consider (and very easy to carry).

Good luck - I hope you have a great time and sorry I won't be there to support you in person!  Looking forward to your race report!
  • Options
    Thank you @Al Truscott and @JoJo Thirasilpa.  Great observations; all of which I have taken on board.   Karl had sime Salt Stick capsules so I have nabbed a couple for the run.   I’m in Tenby, all registered and I’m itching to get started 👍