Homeβ€Ί Races & Places πŸβ›Ί
Options

Alan's IMWI Race Report 2018

My Race Plan theme was: Guess I'm All In https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25108/alans-imwi-2018-race-plan

My Race Report theme is: Small Typo (see end of this report)

Swim: Goal 1:05 Actual 1:07:16 (3rd in AG)

Lined up with 1-1:10 group. Experienced very little contact. This was a IMWI swim PR for me!

Bike : Goal 6:45 Actual 6:43:45 (12th in AG)

Wow, first half of the bike I felt great, kept thinking these hills aren't as bad as I remember. Checked time halfway thru bike and was at 3:15. Wind picked up on the 2nd loop and the course started to take its toll. 2nd half in just under 3:30. Per @Al Truscott I eliminated time, speed and distance from my bike computer, and the bike just didn't seem as long as prior years! Thanks Al! Rode in tri shorts vs bike shorts in prior years, found tri shorts were actually more comfortable! Stopped 3x's to pee (can we get a "how to pee on the bike" thread going).

Stats: Power 140/NP 158/IF .72/VI 1.15

Run: Goal 4:50 Actual 5:18:22 (13th in AG)

Felt pretty good thru 15 miles or so, than had some stomach issues. Started drinking Coke, which helped, but not till mile 24 or 25. My prior IM PR was a 4:56 at IMLOU. I forgot just how much harder the IMWI run is vs IMLOU. No peeing on run.

Overall: 13:26:47 (13th in AG (of 43))

While I missed both my race goals, PR and top 25% in AG, I did improve on last years IMWI time by 23 minutes.

Things I learned:

• Might have been a bit dehydrated at start of run. Probably should have had 2 more bottles of GE on bike.
  • Wasn't sure of my bike stats when I finished the bike and thought I might have over-biked a bit. Might have had this in the back of my mind during run, which I'm sure didn't help! Check numbers in future!
  • Only liquids and gels going forward for me on bike.
  • Eliminated time, speed and distance on bike computer.
  • Tri shorts are fine for a 112 mile bike (I did change into running shorts in T2 due to chafing).

So, what's the "Small Typo"?

I have IMLOU in about 4 weeks and the typo was my IMWI Race Plan is now my IMLOU Race Plan! Revenge per the team "Revenge Protocol"

Great to meet so many EN teammates at dinner and see on course!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Alan Brown - Yes, the WI run is definitely harder than the KY run. It was also a little warmer this year at WI than last year at KY to start. I'd say you definitely needed more to drink on the bike.

I am looking forward to tracking you at IMKY! Nice racing with you again!

• Options

@Alan Brown great race and great to meet you last weekend. Look forward to racing again in Lou in 4 weeks.

• Options

@Alan Brown , great race and great report!

Wishing you all the best at IMLOU. I have raced both venues and love them both. Going in with your fitness from IMWI, your mental notes and a bit easier bike course sets you up for a great race!

KMF!

• Options

@Alan Brown - great to talk with you today!!

Really pumped with your race as an expression of your fitness, but no so much on the run execution. My observation is that you started too fast on the run (see HR)...and that really hurt you.

IMLou Changes

• Let's bump up the fluids in the first hour (2 bottles) then dial it down to one hour at a time Thereafter.
    • Carry external salt to dose yourself if need be.

Toggling the Bike Computer Set Up for Race Day

• 3-second AVG power is top, then auto-lap every 5 miles and second field is Normalized Lap Power so you can keep building your target watts.

Next Few Weeks into Louisville

I think you are in a great place...so here's what we want to do:

• No running until next Monday...and after that it's all short sessions off the bike (at goal HR) or strides (40-45 minutes max).
    • Swim as much as you want. All the time...swim miles have no cost and will help you on race day.
    • Bike is the key to getting your fitness back on track. Here's how:
    • --> Easy 30' on Friday
    • --> Easy 60' on Saturday.
    • --> 120' on Sunday...but include 30 to 45 minutes at ABP effort.

After that bike weekend...you'll be "back" to S/B/R by 9/24...but it should be easy runs, 2 x FTP mid week and another easy long 3 to 4 hours in the aerobars on the weekend. Then check in with me and we can dial in the remaining taper, etc.

• Options

@Alan Brown Strong work! Sounds like Coach has you on target for going after run execution improvements next month. BTW, I routinely take my last IM race plan, change the title, then read through it to see what, if anything I should change. Key is, though, to keep an eye on changing those course details, so no one notices.

And, to piggy back on Patrick's bike computer set-up comment, my screen, with room for six metrics, shows starting at the top, L>R, three rows: HR, 3s power, % grade (unless it's a flat course like AZ, then MPH), Lap NP (as % of FTP), elevation (or cadence), and time. I know, I said no time, but note that I do not have totals for the whole bike leg showing, I have the data for the current lap showing. The whole idea during an IM is to stay process-oriented, what am I doing/Should I be doing NOW, as opposed to how is my overall race going.