Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

IMLOU Race plan - Input welcome

edited September 19, 2018 2:21PM in Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ

As you might be aware, the greatest race of the year is coming ahead in three weeks and I've heard that on the same weekend something will be going on in Kona ๐Ÿ˜‚. IMLOU is one day after Kona and here is my race plan:

This is my second year with EN and my third IM. I am feeling much better prepared for this year than I did last year. The best part is that so far there have been no medical complications, surgeries, or injuries. I have been able to follow the training plan pretty close and more important I feel that I have gained a huge understanding of the sport in the last year.

The goal is not set on time. The goal is to execute, time will be whatever it will. I know my limitations and race day is not the day to prove that I can go faster than that, is the day to execute within those limits. Speed is build throughout the year, race day is just a summary of that. If I want to be faster, I need to build it over time (which I feel I am doing).

Background: Age 45 - Weight 208lbs (10 lbs less than last year but still long ways to go in body comp - I still look like the before picture ๐Ÿ˜‚) - Height 6'3". Experience in long distance: 2 years

Before race week:

1. Go to the barber shop and ask for the most aero haircut in the menu
  2. One week before race day go out for the last ride to check everything is working fine with the bike. Perform final maintenance and pack bike. (No TBT service from Seattle to Louisville so I will travel with my bike)
  3. Pack all you need for the swim: Wetsuit, Roka Googles, Earplugs, Body glide, SIS Gel x 1
  4. Pack all you need for the bike: Bike, multi-tool, chain lube, toolkit (two extra tubes, tire levers Co2 head), bike computer, bike computer charger, bike battery charger, aero water bottle, extra water bottle, P1 pedals, pedal new batteries, bike food (SIS gels x 3, Cliff blocks x 2, Protein bar x 2, Nunn x 1, Endurolyte x 1), butter cream, helmet, glasses, EN kit, shoes, arm warmers & light jacket just in case.
  5. Pack all you need for the run: Shoes, socks, calf sleeves, running hat, glasses, food (SIS x 4) and Smarties and Tylenol for the special needs bag. Question: Is it necessary to have a running flashlight for the run? I know it served me pretty good at IMAZ

Thursday

1. Flight from Sea to Louisville
  2. Check in at hotel and build bike
  3. Buy food needed for the week
  4. Meet EN crew

Friday

1. Short ride to make sure everything is good with the bike
  2. Check the water
  3. Install new batteries on P1's
  4. Race registration
  5. Check in bike - Remove battery
  6. Drive the course
  7. Team dinner maybe?

Saturday

1. Big pancake breakfast
  2. Put together race bags
  3. Pasta and chicken lunch
  4. Relax all afternoon, load a good movie on the laptop and do nothing until dinner time. Have an early dinner of chicken and pasta or pizza and go to bed.
  5. Follow the EN athletes competing at the "other" race going on that weekend
  6. Make sure all the gadgets are fully charged

Race Day

1. Wake up at 4:00 am
  2. Breakfast PB&J, coffee, bathroom, bathroom, banana, bathroom, get dressed, bathroom (Not a typo, I get so nervous I go to the bathroom like 5 times before the race - I have evacuated so much before the race begins that I should be a perfect candidate for a colonoscopy at the start line). Drink a bottle of Nunn
  3. Get early to the start line - Have plenty of time to go through the checklist
  4. Drop bags - Besides the bike and run also the special needs bike (extra tube and CO2 if necessary), and the special needs run with a long sleeve jersey, extra gels, smarties and a flashlight if needed
  5. Install gadgets on bike
  6. Put water bottles on bike
  7. Check air pressure on tires
  8. Go to the bathroom
  9. Take a gel
  10. Apply a ton of body glide on the neck
  11. Wet suit on, chip on, cap on, goggles in your hand, era plugs in your hand walk to the start line

Swim: Goal is to keep form. Start easy for the first 200 mts while all the systems start working; after that be very consistent. I have heard that the swim its easier closer to the island while going upstream since the current is weaker there, if anyone has experience with this, appreciate the input. Breathe every 4 strokes (L-R-L-B) and try to keep that rhythm as long as possible. Focus on rotation and catch. That is your goal for this race: rotate and catch; nothing more.

T1: I want to PR T1. I have historically sucked at this. This year I am not changing clothes. I will have the EN kit under the wetsuit. T1 should be: 1. drop wetsuit, 2. shoes, 3. helmet, 4. glasses, 5. go.

Bike: Follow EN protocol. The first 10 miles are very flat so don't race anyone. Let them go. Don't let your ego screw up your run. Be very patient, stay aero and in your watts. Looking for a NP of 180. On the hills go up to 230 watts (90% of FTP), use your gears - there is a good reason for having 22 of them. Execute, execute, execute: you are setting your run here. Let them pass you, you either will pass them at the end or they are out of your league, so one way or the other is pointless to race them - do your own thing. Drink 2 bottles per hour and have a gel on the top of the hour followed by a shot every 20 mins. At the 3 hour mark, have a protein bar.

T2: I also want to PR T2. Easy time gain here. Go in, no clothing changes, get rid of helmet, and shoes. Socks on, calf sleeves on, hat on, get out. Do not engage in conversation, no small talk about still having to run a marathon, no mention of how tired I am. Just get the hell out.

Run: Goal is to run the run. I know what pace I need to have. It's not fast, but it is what it is. It will get better over time. I know that in order to run the run, the pace is going to be around 11:00 min/mile an I am fine with that. I need to bring that down for future races, but today it is what it is. Get the big diesel engine going on and run. Easy, steady, HR between 130-140 is ideal. If there is anything in the tank try to speed on the last 5K. Walk every aid station to get your fluids in, and have a gel every 4 miles.

And that's all folks. That's the plan right there. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Jorge Duque I love the aero hair cut I knew there was something holding me back.

While I understand and get the executing to the best of my ability and conditions of the day have time estimates can help on a few front. As this is your 3rd IM you are not new but you can still dial thinks in better.

• On the swim it can help by putting you around swimmers of slightly faster or similar ability to draft off of.
    • For the bike if helps plan your IF. You note 180W as your target. What were your two RR IF's, how did you run off that? Further do you know your 5 hour power number?
    • Finally having a bike time estimate along with plugging numbers in to the EN spreadsheet can help you set the IF. http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution+%28Ironman%29
    • Goal Watts, as a percentage of FTP

5:00 - 5:15: ~74-75%

5:15 - 5:30: 73-74%

5:30 - 5:45: 73-72%

5:45 - 6:00: 72-70%

6:00 - 6:15: 69-70%

> 6:15: 67-69%

I've done several IM rides in the 7+ hour range at 225+lbs and you can run well off a well paced bike. TSS will be up there.

• HR on the run, there's no shame if walking some hills outside of the aid stations to keep the HR in check.
    • Nutrition - You probably have all this worked out and the components are listed at the start of the plan but ensure you know what your cal/hour are and fluid intake. "Drink 2 bottles per hour and have a gel on the top of the hour followed by a shot every 20 mins. At the 3 hour mark, have a protein bar." I assume the protein bar replaces the gel and shot that will happen at the 180' mark of the bike.
    • For the run nutrition - get your fluids in makes me worry. What do you need per hour on the run and more importantly what can your body handle? You will have 5 aid stations in 55'.
  • Options

@Jorge Duque like the race plan and look forward to seeing you on course in Louisville! Do you normally eat a heavy dinner like chicken/pasta or pizza the night before race? If it works for you cool, just curious. I know dense pizza especially would still be sitting heavy when I awoke the next morning. Good luck with all your prep!

• Options

@Jorge Duque you are correct on the swim strategy. Fyi, there was light fog one year, full sun the next year, so be prepared with proper goggles. Fyi, ususally the bike check-in is on Sat. Looking forward to meeting and racing with you in Louisville!

• Options

@Jorge Duque Seeing the frame of mind you are bringing to this race, coupled with the knowledge you've gained on race execution, patience, and discipline, I have every confidence you will represent Gig Harbor well in Lou-uh-vuhl...

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak Hi Gordon, thanks for your input. Always good and always makes me think. Rather than goal times, I know how I have been performing during training and I am using those times as reference. For example, during training, my swim time is around 90 mins so I will line up with the 1:20-1:25 group.

For the bike, I want to free my mind from time goals; it stress the crap out of me, so I rather just focus on watts and let the time be what it will be, and for the run I think that the pace around 11 min/mile is doable if the intention is to run the whole time.

Regarding nutrition you are spot on for the bike. On the run I can take 12oz of gatorade per hour and 1.5 gels, without GI or fading issues. Thanks for your comments

@Jeff Horn Thanks for your concern. I like an artisan pizza with a light crust and light sauce when I can find it. It's not heavy and brings the right amount of carbs and fat for race day. If the only option is a Pizza Hut or Domino's style, then switch to pasta.

@Alan Brown Thanks for the tips. Will make sure to bring with me both googles and decided on race morning. I have also been wondering about arm warmers for the bike. Do you think they are necessary? Hope to see you there - We need to schedule a team dinner or lunch - I will post something about that on the forum and on GroupMe

@Al Truscott Thanks for your kind words. I hope I can make the Pacific Northwest Region proud

• Options

Great plan. Quick question ... is the 90% power on hills the EN advice? That seems high.

• Options

Great plan, done this race last year and wanna give you a little advice when you get out of the down. A lot of bottles and crash when you cross the rail road.

the lolipop route is really beautiful and fun.

wish you dont get headwind on your way back like we got last year ! if you get favorable wind that section can be fast.

The run can be mentally hard on the second loop as you will feel skyscrappers are going away and you are not moving, but thats all in your head :)

good luck!

• Options

This is the exact question i was going to ask...

When I did this race my FTP was 265, my .72IF execution #was 190-195, my hill # was 205-210 (.79)

this course more than any other quickly rewards EN style execution (flatten the course by riding even power uphill AND downhill...) let people go on the uphills, after 2-3 hills which come quick you will quickly see them disappear behind you. Find one of Patrick's course videos in the Wiki on this course, he does an excellent talk on the course. The biggest one here that i remember is that the hills are down first, then up, if that makes sense.. so power down the hill and carry it as far as you can and then do NOT crush the hills with the people around you!

also remember that as long as you aren't getting punched in the face with a wind out of the west(like last year), the final 37 miles from when you make the left turn on to 42 for the 2nd time by the old sligo country store (on left) is where you "make your bike split".

Awesome shaded (mostly) FLAT run.. let er rip per your HR guidelines.

here's my race plan from last year if interested

• Options

@Dave Tallo Thanks for pointing that out. I go 90% on short hills when I run out of gears (10-15 second push). For steady climbs I will try to stay at 80%-82% of FTP.

@Francis Picard Thanks for the heads up on the railroad crossing

@scott dinhofer Your race plan has been very helpful. I have gone over and listen again to Patrick's course video and you are right on the money - Pacing and saving something for the return to T2 will pay off.