Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona Day 3: Dolphins are the M-13 of the sea

went on an OWS yesterday. Just as I got to the turnaround buoy, a pod - which I now realize was a gang - of dolphins buzzed me. For a good 5 minutes. There is nothing more terrify8ng than looking down and seeing 6 grey large bodies swimming under you.

So I do what my extensive preparation in sea mammal - human negotiations* have taught me, and freeze. Then my Garmin beeps to tell me my lap is done, except a Garmin beep in dolphin language means “let’s surround him and show him our dorsal fins, to send a message.”

So i swim. Maybe my super smooth stroke confuses them: do they think I’m one of them? That brings backs a few of them to swim a few feet from me - or it’s the young ones and they have to do an initiation Kill to get full Gang membership - and by this time I’m starting to think “I wonder if they’ll name a memorial fundraising swim after me. That would be super cool.”

this was my google search history when I got back:

do dolphins kill

why do dolphins kill

Do dolphins attack

do dolphins have bad days

do dolphins have empathy

Why do dolphins swarm

dolphin Friend foe

how to make pesto (I was hungry by that time)

Are dolphins smarter than humans

Are dolphin pods like gangs

I Will complete remainder of my swims at Kona Aquatic Center.

*i have none

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

My first race at Kona I had dolphins swim under me. I thought it was totally amazing and would love to see them again!

btw, do dolphins kill humans? :)

• Options

Yes, but the source is the internet. Everything kills everything.

• Options

Internet is true

• Options

Do dolphins eat pesto?

• Options

One of the smartest mammals on the planet. Generally (prob always) friendly to humans and most likely very curious of you out there. Damn cool experience and thank you for sharing.

Me, I would have most likely needed to clean my pants out once I got back to shore, but, nevertheless, very cool.

Keep posting!

• Options

AWESOME post! I'm jealous and terrified all at the same time!

• Options

Awesome. I once paid $300 for that same experience and you got it for free with multiple dolphins. Glad you are out there soaking up the island vibe.

Since you googled you probably already know this but being followed by a pod (gang) of dolphins is considered a good luck omen to the native Hawaiians and promises strength and speed for the coming week. Unfortunately the race is 9 days away.

• Options

First race ever---IMFL--- swim practice in horrible sloppy gulf a couple days before race---follow slightly crazy coach into water anyway---hear coach scream underwater when dolphins swim by---practically have heart attack---smile as they swim by me.

Yes, we think they are all flipper, but are they all that nice? :D

• Options

@Dave Tallo .... super cool. Too bad you didn't have a GoPro. More stories so we can fee like we are there.