Homeโ€บ Announcements ๐ŸŽ™
Options

Rehab Ideas / Feedback / Lessons Learned for Total Knee Replacement?

Local friend had her knee replaced 4 weeks ago...in rehab and I'd love to be able to give her some good ideas or thoughts on rehab best practices. Do you have anything we can do / think of / consider? Or even if you have "don't do" things I'd appreciate that as well!!!

Thanks Team!!! ๐Ÿ‘

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Didn't have a knee replacement, but had meniscus surgery. Build up those quads using weights (quad leg curls) - nothing heavy, but lots of reps.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2018 6:49PM

@Coach Patrick

My limited knowledge is that the first 4 maybe 6 weeks is critical to getting range of motion back in the knee. It's painful to do the exercises early on but having someone there to help you early was important for my grandma as she was older and weaker. For your friend this my be a voice of reason if they happen to be an A type athlete.

Going to a physio therapist is important as they can asses the progress and assign addition exercises, see deficiencies etc.

Different surgery but my A type athlete comments come from when I broke my leg. This required inserting a titanium rod from knee to ankle, the too aggressive stretching I did caused me to break open the stitches and wound. This led to me not being able to stretch it out early on and perhaps limited my knee flexibility a little.

All this to say there a line here between pain and injury. Your friend will have to push through some pain while not doing anything too set them self back.