Home Racing Forum 🏎

Comments

• Ian, Amazing race and write up. My favorite part " I can offer no secret hack or advanced training prescription to fast track results" With the exception of the genetically gifted few, the only way to spectacular results like this is the big picture work ethic. Years NOT weeks of steady, consistent, hard work and discipline. We say it but it can never be repeated enough. WorkWorks. We are a society of instant gratification in search of magic bullets for everything from how to lose weight to how to become rich. Congrats to you for earning that 3:06 just amazing :-)

My recent favorite Quote below.

• @Ian Kurth , great race report. Inspiring message of how consistency and the right mindset allows you to succeed when the opportunity presents itself. Go Blue!

• As always, a great read and inspiration galore. Congrats Ian on yet another goal achieved. GO BLUE!!!

• Congratulations on great race execution built on awesome work. Enjoy Boston.

• @Ian Kurth - just started running again and this is an inspiration to me. I'm at "ground zero" since I've taken almost the entire year off to heal from a bone spur.

Congratulations!

• @Ian Kurth - great write up as always. Seeing your progress in the run group and learning your training mindset I knew something special was on the horizon! Great finished by a very disciplined person! GOOD!

Discipline = Freedom

• @Ian Kurth Congratulations and thank you for sharing such wonderful race report. What great memories for your beautiful support crew!

• such a great report, the results are an indication of all the work you did in the last years. So happy for you getting a BQ and running NYCM!

• Tim - totally agree. Instant gratification satisfies the sweet tooth moment, but doesn’t satiate. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, this default is culturally pervasive. No doubt there is a balance that must be achieved between “enjoying life’s simple pleasures”, and doing the uncomfortable things that others don’t do to achieve results and goals that others won’t achieve (while complaining all along the way). That said, the leap of faith required to understand that the sacrifice and grind is worth it is a journey itself ;)

Thanks for your comments.
  • Hey Trish,

Thanks for the feedback - great to hear from you. Hope all is well. GO BLUE!

Ian
  • Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your comments! GO BLUE!
  • Joe -

Congrats to you on a great performance at nationals! Enjoy Worlds - as you know it is a privilege to represent on that stage.

Good luck on rebooting your running. Take the long view. It is worth it.

Ian
  • Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. I enjoy looking at daily am pics of your accountability wristwatch. Keep it up.

Get after it!

Ian
  • Hey Robert,

Appreciate for your feedback. Definitely looking forward to Boston!

Ian
  • Hey Robin,

Thanks for your comments! Definitely grateful for the the family support I receive. My hope is that they gain some small inspiration by osmosis to find their own way!
  • Hey Francis!

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate all the support from you and the others we share on the GroupMe chats. I am certainly not as active as you or the others (don’t know how you find the time), but I find it helpful to give and receive all the same.

Thanks!
    Ian
  • edited November 19, 2018 3:17PM

Great report Ian and congrats. I couldn't run a 7:07 for 1 mile let alone 26

I'll see you next year in Madison

• Congratulations on an outstanding race and great race report. Seeing your consistent running over the last 12+ months and marathon build, that result was no surprise. Very inspiring journey and reminded me of my remaining marathon goals. Keep the streak going!

• Great payoff to a lifestyle committment.

• @Ian Kurth So many insightful nuggets in your report. I will read this more than once. Congratulations.

• Congratulations on the race @Ian Kurth! I'm glad the race went well. I also didnt think the suffering of a marathon was near as bad as longer races. It looks like we had similar plans on the marathon. Run comfortablly hard until an hour is so to go and then let it fly. Like you said an hour of suffering is no big deal when you have experience suffering for longer periods. I think you might enjoy the challenge of Ultra running. Totally different from IM.

It's been fun being on the 400+ day running streak with you. I have to admit that if you werent still on the streak, I would not be either. I don't really care when it.ends now but I will keep running while I can. Those easy runs really have helped me get much more durable and faster. Your consistency over the years is incredible! Your performances also show how work worrks.

• @Chris Ciannella - Thanks! See you in mad town 2019!

@Derrek Sanks - Thanks! You are one of the "overnight successes" I was referring to in my report... years of consistent toil to a result. Thanks for sharing, and keep it up!

@Al Truscott - Thanks . Congrats to you on another recent set of successful races. You continue to impress and amaze!

@Sheila Leard - Thanks for the feedback, and for your contributions as well!

@Tim Sullivan - My streakin brutha! Have to say, I didn't envision this madness when we started... Streaking for me is just a way to stay accountable to myself. I have had other prior 300+ day streaks, but intentionally let them go prior to IM's as an "A" race takes priority. Either way, the benefits are as you describe. Keep up the work yourself. With your attention to detail, and impressive work ethic, you are also on the path to be another EN "overnight success".