Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Rob's 2018 Micro/Macro

@Coach Patrick
So last week I signed up for Florida 70.3.  I figured I'd help the team and get some points for AWA.  I am gold this year and I like to stay AWA going into 2019 for any advantages I can get at IM races.  My long term goal is a KQ at Asia regional championship in Cairns Australia June of 2019.  I have been swimming about three weeks now.  I am ending my run streak today. yesterday was 121 days averaging 5.4 miles a day with 5-6 weeks over 40 miles.  I am still trying to work on the bike.  FTP is all time high 263 up from last year 256.  Should I continue the OS with the additions of swimming and more focused running or switch to the Half IM plan and modify the bike to be a little more OS like.  After Fla 70.3 on April 8 I guess I would go into the get faster with BIKE emphasis.
Thanks
Rob

Comments

• Options
     Thanks for continuing to support the team! Personally I think the low-volume but higher quality bike is a big addition to you interviews of your whole season. If it’s possible, I would rather you stick with the OS but Add swims for Monday and Friday. You don’t need to swim much more than that and if you had a crappy some on race day I’d be all right with it because you would bike and run better. :)

I really want the training focus to be on continuing to push your bike up. I would love to see your Power profile chart and how that’s Evolve’s comparing your 2018 season thus far to your 2017 season for bike power numbers.

The only modification to the bike I would make is having a really hard Saturday ride like the hang on, and then getting an endurance time on Sunday. You don’t need to go hard on both days!
  • Options

Hi Coach P

I've been working two hard bikes Sat and Sunday and Tuesday FTPish 85-95% and Thursday Crush or VO2.  Running ~40miles a week mostly TRP ~7:22  with some zone 2-3 and occasional Z4 intervals(last week 1/4 - 1/2- 1/2- 1/2 @ 6:18).  Swim is slowly coming along.

The weekend bikes are satisfying because they are mostly .8-.85 with surges but the mid week races are frustrating.  The regular pace is .85ish which is not to hard to keep with the group but if there is a hill or a surge I can't stay with the group when they go to 5.5-6 w/kg and I get dropped so I don't know if just doing steady FTP work on Tuesdays would be better. 

Anyway my question is in regards to taper for 70.3 Florida on 4-8-18.  I don't need a full taper and was thinking next Tuesday FTP 3x8? and Thursday @ .85 ish?  I thought I would swim without change and run less and nothing hard later next week.

Thanks

• Options
     Thanks for checking in. For the taper, I recommend that you do workouts are not races that week. 3 x 8 on Tuesday and 3 x 6 on Thursdays fine.

Remember what happened last year with minimal rest. So this time, either go a bit lighter before Florida or planning to Go lighter after. You will need that rest.  And if you do around a race, there are minimal consequences to your overall training load 

As for Racing, I have found it very hard to hit those higher numbers with 1 mile is like you are putting up. So you have to decide what is more important: weekly run mileage or two hard rides on the weekend. I personally have turned my Sunday down as it’s too much at the end of my week.  And I’m not even averaging 20 miles a week!

Like @Al Truscott said the other day, being a better triathlete is working on your weaknesses. I clearly have a short power interval issue so I am focusing on that right now. 

Tell me what your priority is, and we can organize your week accordingly. Happy tapering!
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo Tagging you by name here in case you didn’t see that I replied before! Happy Easter.
  • Options
    I got your prior messages.  Should have thanked you at the time. 
    Update
    Run 30 miles /week in 5 runs pickups; occasional 11-12 long run and occasional faster miles but mostly GRP 7:20
    Swim been going 2-3 x per week goal is 3x/week Just signed up for Tower 26 training plan
    Bike 4 rides per week as Tuesday race FTP work Thursday 1 minute crush intervals with complete recovery
    Saturday HangOn plus and Sunday ABP Jersey ride.  Plan to start going outside as replacement for one or two of above rides.  Last week hit all time high 20 min power for new FTP of 274.  Before this year it was 250W.  The crush intervals and zwift have really helped get the strength to move up.
    As far as this year, I have no pressure as to racing.  Still want FTP >280 and keep it here for next year.  Swim - continue Tower 26 and get stronger pull and better body position.  Run continue steady runs and stay healthy.
    Will jump into HIM plan 8 weeks prior to South Africa 70.3 WC.
    When I go to Bend Oregon Camp next month I will have run evaluated by Jim Dicharry but mostly to get me on a strength program which I have not been doing and in order to avoid hamstring flair ups in future.
    My goal is next year is Asia Pacific Championship in Cairns Australia  M55-59 and I want a KQ.  I want to go 10:00-10:10
    Any ideas or suggestions both short or long term appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rob
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo  no worries, I’m super excited to see you gaining so much strength. That plus a healthy hamstring and your run foundation should be a pretty impressive combination this year. As of everything else, we have to keep in mind that while you dial up swimming or change the running to Racing distance that the power numbers may suffer a bit. So don’t get too attached to them!

I definitely recommend sacrificing one of those two weekend rides for a steady outdoor ride. You can go hard in all four sessions for maybe two weeks but then the third week you’ll need to really back off. You can offset this a bit by alternating weeks of very hard rides with Weeks with at least two quality rides (maybe 3) and one (or 2) steady rides between 0.65 and 0.70 IF for a longer time.

Remember it’s the variety of intensity overtime that is what builds your strength. Always doing the same work out every time at the gym will eventually lead to fatigue and over duction and fitness.

In terms of long term development, I'd like to see you recover from IMSA but then put in a bigger bike push in Sept / October. Basically put the run away, then start the rebuild for a bit...but really just riding it out. Has to be some good fall century options for you...and then we get you back on Run Durability Program for the rest of 2018 into the Jan OS and your big push!

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Coach Patrick I am doing an October Bike concentration. 5-6 bikes per week. I am going to add Monday and Friday strength/core address personal weaknesses. I am afraid of not running or swimming. 1-2 of each as I have time and if I feel? Just easy to keep the muscles/tendons/etc stable?

• Options

Great to have you In the chat @Robert Sabo

Yes to a few runs a week. That’s mostly bricks, easy 1 to 2 miles. We want one hour long run a week just to keep that in your back pocket. Nothing fast. Just easy running.

Whats the bike plan for those rides?

• Options

Bike plan

Current FTP SWAG 250W

Goals 1:raise FTP to 280W last year max 274

2: HR high 140s for 3 hour ride - get comfortable with being uncomfortable for long periods(IM HR 120's and HIM 130s in the past)

raise 5sec to 1min max power be able to stay with grop at the start of Zwift races and recover to "hang on"

RIDES early week FTP/Race mid week crush 1' intervals or VO2 with long recovers (4min) late week race Saturday Hang on with warm up and cool down @ ABP pace increase ride to 3 hours Sunday easier with jersey chase 2 hours

still picking my race(s) for next year I will schedule phone chat for after Kona

I age up next year 55-59 and I want to be there with you guys (and Mariah)

good skill in Kona. When you pass Lionel don't say anything to him.

Rob

• Options

I know this is a challenging schedule but some workouts will be dropped if busy at work or if I am tired. I also plan to try a three weeks hard and 3-4 days off/easy and then test and repeat.

• Options

2019 GOALS

Strength and Core routine 2x week OUTSEASON, 2 after OS, and 1 race prep

Run

durability Nov and Dec 20-25mi/wk; Jan 1 start to raise to 30miles/wk; Feb 30’s; March up to 40m/wk ;April and May 45-55

Keep run cadence 90

Continue active warm ups and post run stretching

I won’t run before Saturday rides to maximize bike and will do bricks or early evening run

5ks Thanksgiving and New Years Day

find HM march

St Pats 10 miler?

April fools half mary

Get vDOT back to 56 ?  vDOT from races Test Stryd power

Bike

FTP at start of OS is 250W

Bike focus OS at least 4 bikes/week (one easier ride)

keep Bike cadence  90-95 rpm

By second test of OS have FTP>265W

By third test have FTP>275

With weight to return to 68kg=149.6 pounds would be >4W/kg

Work on the physical and mental strength ( concentrate – Mantra) to successfully perform 20minute FTP work intervals as well as 20 minute test

Long “centuries” Hell of Hunterdon – ride like a biker attack the ups or race Zwift when not doing race simulation

Add group ride/Zwift race and weekly Hang On every so often to continue to get comfortable being uncomfortable

Swim

Tower 26 - continue subscription

Technical Phase 2x/week till Jan1 then progress to base phase but don’t go to 3x/week till OS is over. Increase to 4x week in last month before “A”race

Sunday masters

Develop multiple gears swim slow, mod, fast, and very hard

Keep using wetronome and restart more regular swimming in January

Review mental execution to show the pool speed in open water

Triathlons

March 17 2019 70.3 Puerto Rico

CAMP in Florida end of March

Confidence on two days full course bike and possibly do second day a little more aggressive than day one

June 9, 2019 IM Asia-Pacific Championship in Cairns Australia

Plan taper

Plan nutrition (calories, Na+, and fluid) more exact (but fluid might have to be drink as much as I can if it’s a very hot day)

Plan for the mental prep for the bike(keep the watts steady in a narrow zone,         keep eating/drinking) and run(welcome the suck-make it a positive and self  assess before the aid stations)

Goal swim < 1:04 T1<5:00 Bike<5:30 T2<3:00 Run<3:22 Total<10:04

Top 3 AG

FALL KONA or IM Maryland

Let me know what I should do next? I would like to interact and get a little more guidance/advice to maximize my results. Thanks

Rob

• Options

Should i schedule a coach call and if so where is the link to the schedule?

• Options

@Robert Sabo - here’s the link: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

I have your notes in my to do list, I apologize but when things are so detailed and long it takes more than just a few minutes to turn it around. I know how much you put into your year and I want to make sure that I give back to you the best I can give. Let me take a stab at this tomorrow now that I’m back after the holiday.

• Options

@Robert Sabo

Overall Thoughts

• Your run is your strength, there's a level of work required to keep you fit and running well, but you Don't need to go nuts In training. Speed can be found on race day by being better at aid stations, for example, or transitions.
    • Your bike is what should improve the most Overall. It's safer to build and is a big opportunity for you Relative to your competition.

Events

• Hell of Hunterdon Is the same weekend as IMPR70.3 So guessing that's out.
    • March 17 2019 70.3 Puerto Rico
    • CAMP in Florida end of March
    • June 9, 2019 IM Asia-Pacific Championship in Cairns Australia

Macro Planning

(1) Now to OS = Bike Volume Time, Run Consistency, Core Strength

(2) OS = Bike Strength, Increased Run, Swim Consistency [01/07/2019 to 03/17/2019]

(3) Race Prep Part 1 (Bike Volume for 4 weeks) [03/18/2019 To 04/14/2019]

(4) Race Prep Part 2 (Bike Strength for 6 Weeks) [04/15/2019 To 05/26/2019]

(5) Taper Time

Part 1 = Creating a Steady TSS Load you can manage on the bike. This is bike friendly time. You can do 700 to 850 TSS per week, each week, with 75% of your time on the Bike, frequent runs, and one longer run in the 60-70' range. Lots of biking here and double bike weekends. Run mileage 25-ish.

Part 2 = Typical OS balance where we push intervals to gain fitness. Every 4th week (or rest week (5?) go longer on the bike, but TSS should "net out" close to the volume of Part 1 regardless. Run mileage between 30-35.

Part 3 = Return to bike volume focus here, including FL Camp. Good recovery from PR as well. Biking 250-ish miles a week with Odd Zwift races. Once recovered, run mileage in the 35 mpw range. Swim 3 to 4 x. Mentally tough time here.

Part 4 = New peak weeks for IM. Not created yet. But back to FTP and VO2 style work. Ideally outside for super high quality intervals. Steady weekend riding. Swim 4x a week. Run mileage around 40mpw.

Part 5 = Get angry. Avoid food. Stress out. TAPER TIME!!!! 🤣

Let's talk on the phone. Regular check ins and attention are in the Coach*EN level which costs more...only so much I can do here on a macro scale!

~ Coach P

• Options

Sounds good. I guess I’ll upgrade to Coach EN level. I am doing OS now. Tested today. fTP was 250. Now 258

last week turkey trot was 5k in 19:00. Just strides or TRP for runs last 4 weeks.

• Options

tendonitis in right shoulder had a cortisone injection 11/30/18. Going for some PT next week. Doesn't really bother me swimming biking or running. so no changes.

• Options

Really like your progression where it’s at. You are proving stronger and stronger through these early months of the 2019 season which is nice to see. Some people take quite a long time to get things pointed in the right direction.

Our key will be finding what works gives you the best return and keeps you healthy. Thanks for the update on the shoulder, that’s a total bummer. Assuming maybe that something that you feel at work?